Collapsed Currie coil springs...ridiculous - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Collapsed Currie coil springs...ridiculous

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-10-2012, 06:30 PM   #106
cheapjeep06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijeep02 View Post
No, I've been waiting for a front trackbar replacement bolt at the axle end(the upgraded 1/2" one from Currie) as mine is in bad shape...but I bolted the axle end up just snugly to finish the install and see if that would affect the rear spring situation. I can tighten it down completey and test drive the jeep, but how would test driving the jeep make the rear springs longer and uncollapsed? I've seen springs "settle" and get shorter, but NEVER taller...am I missing something here?
The suspension tries to travel in an arc on two(three) planes. Control arms (upper/lower) and the trackbar. When you jack up your jeep high enough to install the springs, the axle is no longer perfectly straight, and when you let it back down it could still be crooked. Driving it a little ways, or even pushing it back and forth in your garage, may allow the axle to right itself. At least this is how I understand it. This is way more visible in a TTB Ford, or even a dual wishbone/a-arm independant front or rear, but it still applies to a solid axle vehicle.

cheapjeep06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2012, 07:52 PM   #107
gijeep02
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Your attitude came through loud and clear with the thread title and it went to crap from there.

Canadians and their ridiculous inability to use hand tools.

Sort of sets the tone for everything that follows doesn't it?
You never quit do you? First I'm a "little twerp" and now I'm a dumb "Canadian with a ridiculous inability to use hand tools". Wow. I give up, you win. It was obviously my inability to install a simple susupension lift that is causing the lean and the sagging. Glad I finally solved the problem. thank you very much.

gijeep02
gijeep02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2012, 08:18 PM   #108
J03_TJ
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You never quit do you? First I'm a "little twerp" and now I'm a dumb "Canadian with a ridiculous inability to use hand tools". Wow. I give up, you win. It was obviously my inability to install a simple susupension lift that is causing the lean and the sagging. Glad I finally solved the problem. thank you very much.

gijeep02
Easy does it man. Don't go there yet, mrblaine can help you, don't offend him if you can at all help it. Guess your reply wasn't that offensive compared to what probably engages with here daily. Keep him in good graces even if he sticks little pokes at you. I'm afraid he actually does have the ability to influence how some manufacturers deal with certain situations as well as solving most TJ related problems.
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #109
Willu
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

gijeep02
Finally you understand that every item sold by currie was hand made by the gods
Willu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #110
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

gijeep02
Calm down, it was an example to show how a statement sets the tone for what follows and see how well it worked?

Lacking the ability to use hand tools is neither ridiculous nor dumb. I didn't call you dumb and I don't believe that you are.

Go back and read the suggestions I offered and and see if any of it helps. A lot of it is repeats that others have proferred up as well.
Unread 09-10-2012, 08:36 PM   #111
SideshowBob024
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So wait, did I read through all this bickering to hear it had a lean even with different springs?
SideshowBob024 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #112
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Okay there genius, tell me what to do...I've done many jeep TJ spring installs, it's not rocket science. I've tired disconnecting the trackbars, nothing. Trackbars wouldn't suck down the entire jeep unless they were WAY off...the axles are centered under the jeep. The control arms are set to the lenghts specified by Currie and I triple check them for length before and after install. Explain it to me there expert...why are the lower rate coils collapsed? Why does the jeep sit much lower in the back than the front? What in your expert opinion could be bound up enough to suck down the back end and collapse the lower rate coils?????? Do you actually think that there is no possibility that the springs are faulty or that they are 3" springs instead of 4"?????
My AEV lower rate coils touch also

Quote:
oh this is getting ridiculous...I only get snotty with people AFTER they made a snotty comment...re-read the posts carefully and maybe you can comprehend that. As for your believe that progressive coils should sit on themselves, it's funny how when I spoke to currie they did not mention that and other posters have also disagreed with your take on progressive coils and further more if you are correct about the lower rate coils sitting on themselves at ride height, then no, I don't want them...why would they even be painted as they would rub off the paint and begin rusting and squeaking almost immediately???? I'll fix this problem myself and post pics and hopefully you and others that bashed me will be man enough to admit you were wrong
Clayton does not have progressive rate coils and are good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J03_TJ View Post
Okay, want the whole story. Let me start from the beginning. I heard Savvy was a great place to do business with and that they sold Currie 4" springs that I had been wanting. So I called Savvy and spoke with Gerald. Not far into our conversation, Gerald mentioned that he had some slightly used 4" TJ Currie springs that were in great shape. I thought well, damn, I had bought a set of used springs before, so coming from a Vendor on here with a great rep, couldn't figure there would be anything wrong with them. So I bought them. I am not psychic and didn't call in for used springs, hell I don't know anyone that goes and calls a vendor of new products thinking that is where you go for used stuff. So, no you are completely wrong, doubt you'll see it that way, I am guessing you would never admit anything you could have ever done was wrong. I did not contact Savvy looking for that deal, I wanted new Currie springs, but figured Savvy's reputation would ensure that these slightly used springs were going to be as stated.
When I recieved the springs, I could not believe how scarred up they were, but knowing that didn't mean squat as far as functionality I didn't say anything. As you or someone else stated, installing springs does leave some battle marks, so be it. I had installed several sets of springs, but never had scarred any of them up like that "slightly used" set from Savvy. After I had run into the fit problem, I posted up with the problem. You are correct, you stated you had never seen a TJ set shaped like that, but you also told me to take it up with Gerald as you told me everything you had for details. So Gerald is the one who insisted they were for a TJ. He also informed me they were on the unlimited black hole jeep. Now had he told me that when he was giving me his sales pitch, I would have passed just because having been on a race rig, doesn't equate to "slightly used". And after he kept insisting they were TJ springs, I knew where to place him on my radar.
As far as my original problem post, I posted up with details of the parts I had and was looking for help/input. It was only after you or someone else suggested I contact the vendor that I stated I had and it was Savvy. So, I wasn't there to badmouth savvy, just get some help on my problem. Anyway, I didn't call Savvy for used springs that day, I was told repeatedly by Gerald that they were TJ springs. From my perspective, he didn't want to accept the fault of selling me something that was not what he had claimed they were. I paid shipping for 6 springs back to Savvy, all had something wrong with them, and not once did Gerald accept fault or volunteer or even respond to my request to help pay shipping on what was Savvy's fault. Hell, this probably puts me on your black list, but I figure that's inevitable in one way or another.
MrBlaine has apologised 3 times since I have been on this forum. It may or may not be an admission of guilt but it is something ya don't see everyday

Quote:
If both springs are on a bench and measure the same unsprung height and have the same part number written on them, how in the world would someone know if they had a faulty spring or springs? I'm assuming that 3 and 4 inch springs would have different unsprung heights and of course that would make it easy to see a problem before install. These particular springs are 17" unsprung sitting on a bench. You seem to know the most about Currie so what's your answer to these simple questions...

1. Are 4" Currie progressive TJ/LJ rear springs suppose to have the lower rate coils sitting on themselves at static ride height? Yes or no?
2. Is it NORMAL for the 4" full Currie suspension system to ride noticeably lower in the rear even without all the weight of tools, fluids, recovery gear, etc I normally carry?
3. do you know the unsprung heights of a Currie 4" and a Currie 3" rear TJ/LJ spring?
4. As a few people keep talking about something being "bound up", what suspension component could possibly suck down the back end of the jeep. If the axles are centered as they should be and the control arms are all the right lenghts, they shouldn't be sucking down the back end...No?

Really don't know what I'm missing here as I've tried everything...diconnecting trackbars, shocks, swaybars, etc, but apparently I'm missing something because according to a few posters on this thread, Currie does not ever have faulty products...
Currie does make faulty products just like any manufacture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willu View Post
Finally you understand that every item sold by currie was hand made by the gods
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2012, 08:59 PM   #113
gijeep02
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideshowBob024 View Post
So wait, did I read through all this bickering to hear it had a lean even with different springs?
No, the lean was LESS pronounced when I switch the springs from side to side...went from 1.5" to 3/4". Then just to be sure(in my mind at least) that the problem was the springs, I put my old RE 3.5" springs back in and the lean was only 1/4"...so that seems to indicate that the RE springs are holding up the jeep MUCH more evenly and level side to side. and that 1/4" lean of the RE springs could very well be due to the age of the RE springs and the right side getting slightly compressed over time from the engine's torque...1/4" isn't much of a lean, I could live with that but the Currie springs are at best leaning 3/4".
gijeep02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #114
J03_TJ
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw View Post

MrBlaine has apologised 3 times since I have been on this forum. It may or may not be an admission of guilt but it is something ya don't see everyday
gotcha.

Do me a favor, will you try to keep future posters in check if they praise Savvy more than 3 times? sorry couldn't resist.

edit. Please don't necto-me
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2012, 11:34 PM   #115
csmith
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Fwiw, my 4" curries installed over a year ago have not sagged in the rear. If anything, it is a little bit higher in the back. This is without a winch on the front(yet). Maybe a bad batch?
csmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2012, 12:49 AM   #116
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J03_TJ

Okay, want the whole story. Let me start from the beginning. I heard Savvy was a great place to do business with and that they sold Currie 4" springs that I had been wanting. So I called Savvy and spoke with Gerald. Not far into our conversation, Gerald mentioned that he had some slightly used 4" TJ Currie springs that were in great shape. I thought well, damn, I had bought a set of used springs before, so coming from a Vendor on here with a great rep, couldn't figure there would be anything wrong with them. So I bought them. I am not psychic and didn't call in for used springs, hell I don't know anyone that goes and calls a vendor of new products thinking that is where you go for used stuff. So, no you are completely wrong, doubt you'll see it that way, I am guessing you would never admit anything you could have ever done was wrong. I did not contact Savvy looking for that deal, I wanted new Currie springs, but figured Savvy's reputation would ensure that these slightly used springs were going to be as stated.
When I recieved the springs, I could not believe how scarred up they were, but knowing that didn't mean squat as far as functionality I didn't say anything. As you or someone else stated, installing springs does leave some battle marks, so be it. I had installed several sets of springs, but never had scarred any of them up like that "slightly used" set from Savvy. After I had run into the fit problem, I posted up with the problem. You are correct, you stated you had never seen a TJ set shaped like that, but you also told me to take it up with Gerald as you told me everything you had for details. So Gerald is the one who insisted they were for a TJ. He also informed me they were on the unlimited black hole jeep. Now had he told me that when he was giving me his sales pitch, I would have passed just because having been on a race rig, doesn't equate to "slightly used". And after he kept insisting they were TJ springs, I knew where to place him on my radar.
As far as my original problem post, I posted up with details of the parts I had and was looking for help/input. It was only after you or someone else suggested I contact the vendor that I stated I had and it was Savvy. So, I wasn't there to badmouth savvy, just get some help on my problem. Anyway, I didn't call Savvy for used springs that day, I was told repeatedly by Gerald that they were TJ springs. From my perspective, he didn't want to accept the fault of selling me something that was not what he had claimed they were. I paid shipping for 6 springs back to Savvy, all had something wrong with them, and not once did Gerald accept fault or volunteer or even respond to my request to help pay shipping on what was Savvy's fault. Hell, this probably puts me on your black list, but I figure that's inevitable in one way or another.
I wasn't going to go back and read this crap of a thread, but this post made it worthwhile.
Unread 09-11-2012, 04:13 AM   #117
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

What.... You needed some drama to wash down your scotch with?
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2012, 06:21 AM   #118
MattJeep
Web Wheeler
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J03_TJ View Post
Easy does it man. Don't go there yet, mrblaine can help you, don't offend him if you can at all help it. Guess your reply wasn't that offensive compared to what probably engages with here daily. Keep him in good graces even if he sticks little pokes at you. I'm afraid he actually does have the ability to influence how some manufacturers deal with certain situations as well as solving most TJ related problems.

This is ridiculous.
MattJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2012, 08:11 AM   #119
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No, the lean was LESS pronounced when I switch the springs from side to side...went from 1.5" to 3/4". Then just to be sure(in my mind at least) that the problem was the springs, I put my old RE 3.5" springs back in and the lean was only 1/4"...so that seems to indicate that the RE springs are holding up the jeep MUCH more evenly and level side to side. and that 1/4" lean of the RE springs could very well be due to the age of the RE springs and the right side getting slightly compressed over time from the engine's torque...1/4" isn't much of a lean, I could live with that but the Currie springs are at best leaning 3/4".
it seems like there is an issue with your jeep that the softer springs made more apparent, hopefully its nothing serious. but for some reason more wight is being put on the passenger side than the driver side. was this jeep ever in an accident?

not doubting that the springs you got weren't 100%, but swapping them from left to right should have moved the lean from left to right, not just lessen the lean on the right.

Also, I have never mentioned Savvy or Currie in any of my posts, just going off the specific details mentioned in this post. hell, the only things on my jeep from either of them are control arms and an AR. that being said, I respect their knowledge as they know more than 90% of this forum combined
Ironhead is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2012, 08:43 AM   #120
srfnfly227
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I am going to do my best to help you out even though I do not have the knowledge that some of these guys have. It seems to me that you have 2 different issues going on. The first is that your rear end is sitting lower than your front. The second is that your Jeep is leaning to the passenger side. Here are my thoughts:

Problem 1 is with the springs. I don't think there is anything that you could do that would cause the rear end to sit lower. Currie isn't perfect and I believe that quality control is getting worse as they are getting more and more popular. That view may not be popular on this board or others, but there seem to be more and more complaints lately. Look at last years run on Johnny Joints that were bad (which I had 2 of) and now quite a few people that seem to get bad springs. That said, people also have very lofty expectations about Currie's products because of the praise they see on these boards. I wonder sometimes whether or not any manufacturer could live up to those expectations. My advice here is to work with Currie and let them correct your problem. Things will work out in the end.

Problem 2 I think is with your install. If you had a bad spring and you swapped the springs from side to side, then the lean should have followed the bad springs. It did not, which means that you have something else going on. My Jeep leans to the passenger side as well. I have the Savvy 3" springs on mine. I thought that it was rear spring related so I tore apart the rear end with the help of another guy on this forum. I know it was put together right the second time and while the lean got better, it is still there. I have not had a chance to get in to the front end, but now that the weather is cooling off, I am going to tackle it. I believe my problem is in my front end because of some stuff that I came across while changing out my steering box. My advice to you here is to do the same thing I will do. Follow the advice given in the following quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcope17 View Post
disconnect sway bars, unhook rear trackbar, if you have adjustable CAs ( which sounds like you do ) unhook one upper CA. Now your jeep is sitting nice and flat.
Adjust trackbar to center axle under vehicle. Then adjust upper CA to bolt in without pulling on anything. Hook up sway bars then enjoy your jeep.
I really hope this post doesn't get lost in the drama that this thread has become. There are some helpful people on this board, MrBlaine being one of them. Let people help you and things will be fine.

Oh and my Savvy/Currie 3" rear springs measure 15.5" and 16" unsprung. That is full length when not on my Jeep. If yours are 17" then I would think that you did in fact get 4" lift springs. That isn't to say that maybe the spring rate is wrong, but it does not look like they sent you 3" springs.

Good luck with everything and I hope you can get it all worked out.

My Build Thread
srfnfly227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.