Cold Weather Jeep Mods - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cold Weather Jeep Mods

Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadOconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!

Unread 11-03-2005, 05:29 PM   #1
corvus

Cold Weather Jeep Mods

I just moved from the west coast to Quebec and I've got a whole new set of issues to prep for the upcoming winter, where -20 is common. I was curious what mods people have made to their jeeps for dealing with pretty extreme cold.

I have a hard top on my 04 TJ for now and what I'm coinsidering doing is:

- add the outland acoustic bikini top for warmth (and extra quiet) under the hard top or just sticking a sleeping bag under the hard top and sewing loops on it
- getting my 30x9.5 GS-As siped (can't afford the BFG A/Tkos that seem to be recommended by other cold-weather jeepers on the forum)
- maybe adding a washer fluid heater?
- buying a serious parka and a shovel (heh)
- better battery
- better windshield wipers

Any suggestions?

corvus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2005, 05:39 PM   #2
FlaJeepin
2005 LJ Wrangler 

- add the outland acoustic bikini top for warmth (and extra quiet) under the hard top or just sticking a sleeping bag under the hard top and sewing loops on it

Glue outdoor carpet under your hard top

- getting my 30x9.5 GS-As siped (can't afford the BFG A/Tkos that seem to be recommended by other cold-weather jeepers on the forum)

Drain your fluid. I don'y care how warn your fluid is it will freeze @ -20 if you try to use it

The smartest thing to do plus carry a blanket

- better battery

+ get a battery blanket

Buy a scraper instead.
FlaJeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2005, 05:46 PM   #3
TMJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe an engine block heater
31" BFG A/T
Cibies headlamps, plus 30 bulbs
other than that pretty much stock for now
TMJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2005, 05:55 PM   #4
corvus

Can't do the engine block heater because I have to park on the street and have no place to plug it in. Same for a battery blanket.

Interesting idea about the outdoor carpet on the underside of the hardtop...
Unread 11-03-2005, 06:05 PM   #5
coorsmgood
2010 JK Wrangler 

um...remote start!

no way in hell Im gonna go sit in it till its warm!

make sure you have the hotter thermostat..210 not the 180

the blanket doesnt plug in(if its the thing im thinking of)
Unread 11-03-2005, 06:55 PM   #6
96ExJay
2005 TJ Wrangler 

how does remote start work if you can't push on the clutch?

[B]Gone: 1996 Cherokee Country 4x4, 4.0 HO[/B]
96ExJay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2005, 06:56 PM   #7
coorsmgood
2010 JK Wrangler 

bypass it..kinda dangerous
Unread 11-03-2005, 07:16 PM   #8
bradleyfitz

Upgraded wipers instead of the factory ones are a good investment. I switched mine out a few years ago and they make a big difference, especially when you're dealing with freezing rain. Cleans the windshield much better. I also added heated seat pads for the -30 degree days, they just plug into the lighter
98 Sahara, hp44/hp60, warn 5x5.5 premium hub conversion, 4.88, arb's, hydro assist, RE 4.5 SF /w 3.5 springs, Novak / Teraflex SS SYE, currie anti-rock, JKS 1.25" BL, 36" bias iroks, PSC Tube fenders /w 3" flare, PSC Ricochet Rockers, custom rear bumper, btf front bumper / winch plate, warn 9.5ti, full cage, TwistedStitch seats, RCI-2161a fuel cell
bradleyfitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2005, 07:17 PM   #9
corvus

Quote:
Originally Posted by coorsmgood
make sure you have the hotter thermostat..210 not the 180

the blanket doesnt plug in(if its the thing im thinking of)
I've heard about the thermostat change...how do you change it and where do you get the part?

And most of the battery blanket links I've found don't have a closeup of the battery blanket. Do they connect to the battery directly then? That could work for me...
Unread 11-03-2005, 07:21 PM   #10
supaasianpdjr
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coorsmgood
bypass it..kinda dangerous

Most places will not install remote starts with vehicles that are manual because of the liablity issue with someone leaving the thing in gear and starting it. Luckily my gf was able to find a place to install it for me and they put in a laser sensor that detects if its in gear and will not start unless its in neutral. But its a great option to have especially when its cold outside.
supaasianpdjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2005, 07:30 PM   #11
JeepinFoolx

COOOOOL ...........LASERS!!!!! Your kiddin!!! They have something like that??? What About Lasers on the outside of my cab, that will zap my Monkey like friends who like to crawl up in my jeep, and turn it on, thinkin its a Auto.... (Like In Congo)

Two RED YJ's

NOW: A T-BONED 55mph YJ.. anyone Interested...

RAH, RAH VMI
JeepinFoolx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2005, 07:31 PM   #12
coorsmgood
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus
I've heard about the thermostat change...how do you change it and where do you get the part?

And most of the battery blanket links I've found don't have a closeup of the battery blanket. Do they connect to the battery directly then? That could work for me...
should be able to get the thermostat anywhere!

and the blankets are plug in..but I had this gel thing that wraped my battery when I lived in minnesota and it didnt plug in?just for insulation?I dont know?
Unread 11-03-2005, 07:38 PM   #13
the_ronster
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, living in Alaska, I may actually be of some help here:

1: You dont need the insert for the top, the heater puts out wicked heat, it gets -50 here and I always stay warm

2: Get your tires siped!!!! I run a BFG 32x11.5x15 and they handle like they have studs in them on snow and ice. Just remember to slow down, its not dry pavement.

3: Washer fluid heater is a farse. They make a washer fluid antifreeze combo, use that! Mine has never froze by the way

4: Always carry an artic weather survival kit (Blanket, gloves, thick socks, road flares, tow rope, etc...) I have a vaccum packer, so I put my clothes in there and got them real small and put everything in a small action packer.

5: You will need a good battery, but I wouldnt run out and buy a new one unless your existing battery wont keep a charge now.

6: They make an artic windshield wiper that wont freeze, they run about $10 a piece, but are well worth it. They should last you a complete winter season.

I also installed a oil pan heater, block heater, and auto start. I have never had any problems, so dont let anyone scare you about what your jeep can or cant handle! Hope this helps!
RE 3.5 Super Flex, Old Man Emu Long Travel Shocks and Steering Stabalizer, RE Hack & Tap SYE, AA CV Drive Shaft, ARB Compressor, ARB Front and Rear Lockers, 35x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, Custom Fabbed Bumpers, ORFAB rear tire carrier/ gascan holder, Superior 4.88s, and Heated Seats

the_ronster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2005, 08:36 PM   #14
GzrGlide
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I agree with 'The Ronster"
We get -40 here in the praries on a regular basis.
A couple things I do in addition to many things that have been mentioned.
-Synthetic oils (motor at least)
-Make sure the heating system is properly flushed by a rad shop (not the quicky lube type flush)
-Grooved our BFG MTs last year>>>HUGE difference!
-Washer fluid will not freeze if you use the winter type. If it does freeze, what could you possibly be trying to clear off the windshield
-Leave the regular thermostat in it.
-If you want, get remote start put in. Just be aware that you'll notice a lot more fuel useage when using remote start. I found that the jeep warmed up quicker if I just got in and drove, rather than letting it sit and idle.
-Buy a good scraper for the windows
-Booster cables
-Tow strap
-Throw a good blanket in the back just in case
-CAA membership

That's all that comes to mind right now.
RE 4.5SF with 3.5 springs & Tera QDFTs
Super 35 & Detroit in back w/4.88s
33x10.5 BFG KM2's
Cobra 75WXST w/4' Wilson Antenna
Warn M8000
(1) Rubber Ducky
GzrGlide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2005, 09:33 PM   #15
ED()

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus
I just moved from the west coast to Quebec and I've got a whole new set of issues to prep for the upcoming winter, where -20 is common. I was curious what mods people have made to their jeeps for dealing with pretty extreme cold.

I have a hard top on my 04 TJ for now and what I'm coinsidering doing is:

- better battery

Any suggestions?
I grew up in Quebec and lived there for 27 years (5 with a jeep). Don't worry too much about the Jeep starting, we used to only plug in the block heater when it dipped below -15C. Use synthetic oils!

Soft top is fine for winter but don't scrape the plastic windows

-Keep a survival kit in the Jeep (Anybody in or above the salt belt should do this)
-Don't go below 1/4 tank of gas in the winter (don't waste your money on gas line anti-freeze, all major oufits add it in already)
-Lube up your door locks and buy some good wipers
-Windshield washer fluid is good 'till -40C, just flush the container now (humidity has seeped in during the summer/fall)
-I keep a steel shovel and steel tire grips with me....I said STEEL.
-if you know there is going to be freezing rain, put you wipers in the up position and leave cardboard underneath....makes seeing easy (remember to remove all the ice before starting the Jeep or you'll be ruining your wiper motor)

And here is the biggest tip for Quebec winter driving I can give you...Do not go to the car wash when it is -5C or lower. I have seen too many *******es wondering why the can't get into their clean cars.
ED() is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.