cold idling problems ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > cold idling problems ?

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Unread 07-31-2010, 10:08 PM   #1
96Smoke-Eater
1998 TJ Wrangler 

cold idling problems ?

I cant figure out whats causing my 98 TJ, 6cyl, to run so rough when its warming up. If its been sitting for any period of time 30 mins or longer. while its going through its warm-up cycle, it runs horrible. Its stumbles, stutters, pops and rattles, it surges up and down almost like its gonna die out, but it doesnt. It does go away after about 10 min of idling. once it reaches its operating temp, its fine and it runs great. Its not showing any engine codes. I was kinda leaning towards some kinda sensor. I was thinking maybe the O2 sensor thats supposed to be on the Cat. I eliminated the Cat converter, but I did weld a threaded bong into a straight piece of pipe and I threaded the sensor back into that pipe, but Im thinking its not reading that sensor correctly until it gets hot, but thats just a guess.

any help would be greatly appreciated

96Smoke-Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 10:19 PM   #2
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hmm interesting, you chopped the cat. Did you try diconnecting the sensor with the bong" and starting it up? See if it maybe behaves the same momemtarily?
Is the bong smoking?
moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 10:38 PM   #3
96Smoke-Eater
1998 TJ Wrangler 

No I havent tried that yet... thanks for the advice. its it a treaded bung? I dont know, but U know what I mean. I did get a chuckle at ur reply. Hey dont make fun of my Alabama education, LOL
96Smoke-Eater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold , idle

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.