Cold air intake - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cold air intake

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-18-2009, 04:15 PM   #1
dking051
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Cold air intake

Ok so here is a full write up on the cold air i did for my 2000 TJ. I did a bunch of research on how to do it, and finally decided to just do it. This is just one step closer to the hummer style intake which i just did not have time to do yet. So, I just did the filter in the cowl for now. It was quick and easy, maybe only took me an hour.

List:

AutoZone Cone filter: $20
AutoZone Ricer flex tubing $20
1 4" hose clamp (already owned)
2 2" hose clamps (already owned)
1 3" hole saw $16

Here is the stock motor

The inside of the cowl (cowl removed by 4 screws under windshield, 2 screws under weather stripping near hood hinges, and 1 screw in cowl intake opening)

Here is w/ the plastic cover over the A/C intake removed. I ended up having to cut off about the first 4" of this piece to make room for the filter. I made sure to leave the little lip so water could not get in.

First thing I did was figure out where the filter was going to go and traced it

Then I found center and tapped it

From the motor side in i drilled a pilot hole for the hole saw

It is always smart to measure 2WICE cut ONCE! no turing back now, cut a 3" hole making sure to avoid wires and the factory ground bolt

I decided to line the hole w/ small rubber tubbing that I slit down the middle to prevent the sharp edges from chaffing the tubbing that will go through it.

I then took out the stock intake (bolts are inside after you take out the filter)

I then took the flex tubbing I bought from AutoZone and I pushed it through the whole in the firewall, it just so happened to work out to where it actually threaded through really nicely and snug. I pushed about 3" through. Then I pushed the flex tubing into the filter and used a hose clamp to seal it. I then pushed it into place and it fits perfectly.

Here are a few pics to see the clearance.

I cut the flex end off of the stock intake and pivoted it to attach to the flex tube I already installed. I had to use a little black electrical tape around the stock tube where it was going to be clamped for a better fit. After clamping it on I reused the stock tube for the crank case vent, and hose clamped them on as well.

I think it turned out pretty clean for somewhat just winging it. I intend to do the full hummer style intake that popes out of the cowl at some point, this was just a starting point for now until I find a better filter system that I like.

dking051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2009, 04:41 PM   #2
ninjajeep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like you did an awesome job!
I would hate to have to remove the cowl, everytime I clean my filter.
Unread 09-18-2009, 04:50 PM   #3
kswyg001
2010 JK Wrangler 

wow, there is a lot of room under the hood now!! my PO put in an underhood 'cold air intake' and it may go buh-bye.
kswyg001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2009, 05:16 PM   #4
ModernJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

That should get a ton of cold air off the windshield. Nice looking set up. That would make room for a second battery where the air box was. What about water protection?
ModernJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2009, 05:49 PM   #5
jknutter
2005 TJ Wrangler 

WIll you have to pull the cowl everytime the filter needs cleaning?
Unread 09-18-2009, 06:00 PM   #6
sliseno
1999 TJ Wrangler 

just a quick question on ths type cold air intake...would it be doable to just run a hose from the cowl to the stock airbox (say in the back of it) and remove the little snorkle and block off that hole? wouldnt that still be getting cold air. just an idea ive been tossing around. any thoughts?
Unread 09-18-2009, 06:34 PM   #7
BC Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Please post a picture of the cowl installed.

Did you use any kind of scoop over the vent area????

Bc
BC Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2009, 06:41 PM   #8
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliseno View Post
just a quick question on ths type cold air intake...would it be doable to just run a hose from the cowl to the stock airbox (say in the back of it) and remove the little snorkle and block off that hole? wouldnt that still be getting cold air. just an idea ive been tossing around. any thoughts?
I haven't done it yet, but when I do, that's the way I would. You can still use stock air filter which I think is better and compared to the OP's setup (nothing wrong with that) much easier to change the filter when need be.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2009, 08:27 PM   #9
Squint77

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Very cool. Knowing that there is all that room under there gives me ideas. Did you feel any power boost? I notice in az my jeep gets more powerful when the temp comes down. It doesn't look like there is enough room to run
it further under the cowl and up the side of the windsheild unless you connect a flat type duct or come directly up throu the cowl. Keep us updated. Would love to see how you finish it up. Nice work.
Squint77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2009, 09:42 PM   #10
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

How do you keep dust from getting sucked through the cotton gauze air filter element?
Border Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2009, 08:09 AM   #11
nriver
2011 JK Wrangler 

nice..........
Unread 09-19-2009, 08:21 AM   #12
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

added to the CAI FAQ.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2009, 10:04 AM   #13
imjbinkc
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I think you're asking for trouble with this setup. You need to go ahead and finish the conversion to a hummer type intake soon as this looks like it would get soaked the first time it rains/snows...
imjbinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2009, 02:11 PM   #14
dking051
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjajeep View Post
Looks like you did an awesome job!
I would hate to have to remove the cowl, everytime I clean my filter.
like i said this is just a temp job for now till i do the full hummer style intake...and really removing the cowl is not a big deal at all...how often do you check/change ur fitler anyway...? its not a strick trail rig...its my DD so its not bein exposed to an over amount of dirt/mud/water, etc.
Unread 09-19-2009, 02:12 PM   #15
dking051
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernJ View Post
That should get a ton of cold air off the windshield. Nice looking set up. That would make room for a second battery where the air box was. What about water protection?
im going to get a reverse hood scoop for the cowl for now to prevent water from comin in...yet still get good airflow off the windshield...and i may put a lil piece of sheet metal arced around the intake to prevent direct contact w/ water...& im going to get a prefilter for it as well...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.