Cold Air Intake ?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cold Air Intake ??

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 04-22-2008, 03:53 PM   #1
gravelgrazer
2010 JK Wrangler 

Cold Air Intake ??

Hello, I'm a newbie. I searched the forum about cold air intakes, I did not find what I was looking for.
What concerns do I need to address about dust filtration and moisture?
I was considering using a dry filter (EX AEM Dryflow Conical style) with a prefilter.
I have a 2000 TJ 2.5L MFI with an automatic transmission, the engine does not seem to get the necessary air at ~3000rpm (60-65mph)it really starts to run rich. Tried complete tune up, new O2 sensor(bad heater), tested MAF & MAP OK, Araid Throttle Body Spacer.
I am trying to get the best out of the vehicle on and off road. Next thought is a Cold Air Intake?? Any Suggestions, Thanks

gravelgrazer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2008, 03:58 PM   #2
sherp89
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You have no idea the debate you just unleashed... go pick up the latest copy off JP magazine... they ran a test on just about every CAI there is right now, granted it was on the 4.0L so I don't know how well it transfers to the 2.5L but should give you an idea anyway... after the debates on here I have decided to at least wait on getting a CAI, but that is just me... you will get tons of opinions though trust me.
Black Jeep Club Member #89
-Scouts Out-
sherp89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2008, 04:02 PM   #3
BlackBellamy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If you searched the forums and didn't find a dozen threads about cold air intakes you need to search again har har

heres one http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/cold-air-intakes-521922/
The top and doors on this vehicle are designed only for protection against the elements. Do not rely on the top and doors to contain occupants within the vehicle or to protect against injury during an accident. Wear seatbelts at all times.
BlackBellamy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2008, 04:03 PM   #4
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Save yo' money!
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2008, 04:16 PM   #5
gravelgrazer
2010 JK Wrangler 

Now I did not say I didn't find any posts, I,m concerned with helping fuel mixture at high speeds with out comprimising filter quality. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy View Post
If you searched the forums and didn't find a dozen threads about cold air intakes you need to search again har har

heres one http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=521922
Unread 04-22-2008, 07:35 PM   #6
deltabravo

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...96&postcount=9

A true CAI sucks air directly from outside the engine bay. Kits like the K&N FIPK, AirRaid and AEM Brute Force aren't really a CAI, just a item that allows you to run a large filter that's seperated from the engine bay by a divider, but it still sucks engine bay temperature air.
deltabravo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2008, 09:13 PM   #7
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelgrazer View Post
Now I did not say I didn't find any posts, I,m concerned with helping fuel mixture at high speeds with out comprimising filter quality. Thanks
not gonna happen, dont you think that the jeep engineers would have put a CAI on the TJ if they thought it would make the jeep perform better. all the CAI does for the TJ is add a different shaped filter with a tube on it
Unread 04-22-2008, 10:10 PM   #8
TJSport01
2001 TJ Wrangler 

the only really good reason i have found to run a CAI is because you need one if your want flat fenders because the stock box wont mount on the new fenders besides that i would save my money, the other people that posted make very good points also
2001 Jeep TJ, 1in JKS Body Lift, 35x12.50x15in Goodyear Mtr's and a RE 4.5 SF with AA sye, tom woods custom cv drive shaft, tnt tube fenders w/3in flares and flush mounted led turn signals, 1in mml, cobra cb and firestik, custom rock sliders, herced, trail scars

Looking for 4.88s (R&P) for a d44/d30 PM me
TJSport01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2008, 10:30 PM   #9
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

see the sig.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2008, 10:32 PM   #10
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverdude2890 View Post
the only really good reason i have found to run a CAI is because you need one if your want flat fenders because the stock box wont mount on the new fenders besides that i would save my money, the other people that posted make very good points also
my stock airbox fit my my new fenders
Unread 04-22-2008, 10:39 PM   #11
Squeeky
2004 TJ Wrangler 

is the search feature broken?

My auto racing team (neat website lots of pictures)

Stu-offroad, A wealth of information on TJ's!

4x4xplor

Motor Oil Myths and Facts (Not sponsored by Amsoil)
Squeeky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2008, 12:35 PM   #12
gravelgrazer
2010 JK Wrangler 

OK, I believe I got the point Loud and Clear!
I always thought more air was better, I need to stop thinking and go 4 wheel'n... that's really why I purchased the vehicle.
Thanks again for all your input.
Unread 04-23-2008, 12:43 PM   #13
gravelgrazer
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcurious View Post
not gonna happen, dont you think that the jeep engineers would have put a CAI on the TJ if they thought it would make the jeep perform better. all the CAI does for the TJ is add a different shaped filter with a tube on it
Well in essence they did with the cross tube/resonator, it just seems they stopped short with that small dia. snorkle intake on the airbox.
Unread 04-23-2008, 05:42 PM   #14
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

amd that little snorkel is there keeping in mind that the vehicle might be offroading including water passes. you add a CAI and it will be alot easier to be sucking in all that water
Unread 04-24-2008, 07:43 AM   #15
deltabravo

the only true CAI is a snorkel. anything else still suck hot air from under the hood, therefor they aren't a CAI.
deltabravo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.