Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

coil spring labels

21K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  Guy_Van_Horn 
#1 ·
just rotated tires noticed the coil spring labels 104 rear and 129ab front.anybody able to decode them?

#3 ·
SJP said:
Those numbers refer to the spring rate of the coils. Of the various factory installed springs, yours are toward the softer end of the spectrum.
Actually that is not true. 129's are actually one of the stiffer springs you can get in a TJ. All springs are the same height but the higher number gives you more stiffness. My old 126's were the same height as a new pair of 129's I installed. Going up 3 part numbers gave me close to an inch of lift.

It depends on the year of your Jeep but Jeep used the following numbers:

Front: 126, 127, 128, 129 & 130's (higher number being stiffer)
Rear: 103, 104, 105 & 106

FRONT SPRINGS

The 126 and 127's were mainly used in early SE models since they have the smaller, lighter 2.5 liter engine.

128's were used in a lot of X models

129's Used in Sports, Sahara's and Rubicons

130's used in Rubicons.

REAR SPRINGS

103's used in soft top SE's in the early years

104's Later SE's, X models, Sports and Saharas soft top models

105's Sports, Saharas, Rubicons with hard top or duel top set up

106's Rubicons

I believe DC/Jeep changed the part number scheme for the last few years of the TJ but I am not exactly what they are. Maybe someone else can chime in.

#6 ·
Good info Unlimited. I always forget you longer TJ guys. ;)

#8 ·
This is what I have:

71765 52090 105AA (Rear)
71765 5208? 129AB (Front) Rubicon
05 LJ Unlimited
Rear Springs
71765 52088129AB

Front Springs
71765 56052436AA

04 Sahara Hard Top (My TJ):
129AB (Front)
106AA (Rear)

TJ Model
FRONT/REAR PART NUMBERS
SE
126/103 soft top
127/104 hard top
X
127/104 soft top
128/105 hard top
Sport
128/104 soft top
129/105 hard top
Sahara
129/105 soft top
130/106 hard top
Rubicon
129/105 soft top
130/106 hard top

#10 ·
go go gadget thread revival!

I am looking to replace my sagging front springs. They are 129AB's and its a sport with dual tops and the "heavy duty springs" according to the build sheet. The rear has 105AA's. Does anybody know what "AA" and "AB" means? Also, if I were to go with a 130 in the front, how much of a difference would that make? Thanks in advance for any input!

:cheers2:

#11 ·
rmb2485 said:
go go gadget thread revival!

I am looking to replace my sagging front springs. They are 129AB's and its a sport with dual tops and the "heavy duty springs" according to the build sheet. The rear has 105AA's. Does anybody know what "AA" and "AB" means? Also, if I were to go with a 130 in the front, how much of a difference would that make? Thanks in advance for any input!

:cheers2:
I went up 1" going up 3 part numbers with a 4 banger.

My guess would be 1/4" at best with your 6 cylinder. Depends on how new your new donor springs would be. I wouldn't bother. Throw in a set of 3/4" spacers and you should be good to go.

#12 ·
ieatchickens said:
I went up 1" going up 3 part numbers with a 4 banger.

My guess would be 1/4" at best with your 6 cylinder. Depends on how new your new donor springs would be. I wouldn't bother. Throw in a set of 3/4" spacers and you should be good to go.
I'm not really going for lift here. Well, I am...but only to 'lift' it back to where is should be with un-sagged springs. My springs have 60,000 miles on them and the previous owner (my uncle) plowed with it a couple of winters ago, which I'm sure contributed to the excessive spring sag.

I have BB spacers and the ones in the rear are 1/2" shorter than the front ones, but the front fender flare is still 2" lower than the rear one. I am looking to pick up a set of front springs from a 2006 with only a couple thousand miles on them to replace my saggy ones. There are a bunch of stock springs on here in the for sale section, but only two people responded to me and one wants too much money for them and the other has 130AA's and I currently have 129AB's.

What I'm wondering is, if I go with the 130AA's to replace my saggy 129AB's how much stiffer will they really be and how will it affect the ride by putting in stiffer front springs without stiffer rear springs? Also, does the "AA" and "AB" have a meaning or is it just part of the code? For example, I have 129AB's but is there also a 129AA? And is there a 130AB?

Sorry for the long and boring post, but I really could use an answer if anybody is knowledgeable on the subject. :D

#13 ·
Not sure of the AA or AB designation so I can't help you out here.

If you can get the springs cheap go ahead and give it a try but I doubt you will see more than 1/4" to 1/2" lift.

You might want to look at ZJ coils for the front. Do a search. I thought I saw post that indicated a 3" lift. Net 1 inch gain if you take off your spacers.

#14 ·
ieatchickens said:
Not sure of the AA or AB designation so I can't help you out here.

If you can get the springs cheap go ahead and give it a try but I doubt you will see more than 1/4" to 1/2" lift.

You might want to look at ZJ coils for the front. Do a search. I thought I saw post that indicated a 3" lift. Net 1 inch gain if you take off your spacers.
Haha...I think you're missing the point. My springs are about 2" lower than they should be because they have sagged over time and because of the plow. If I take them out and lay them next to a set of springs with a few thousand miles on them, mine will be noticeably shorter. If I didn't have the spacers and body lift in there, the front end of my Jeep would be lower than the front end of the same Jeep with a new set of the same springs.

Look at the distance between the tire and the flare in the front and back wheel wells. There is almost 2" less space in the front because the springs have sagged so badly. With an almost-new set of springs and the 1/2" difference in my spacers front to back, that space should be about the same in the front and in the back.

I hope I'm not sounding like a **** here, just want to clarify exactly what I am looking to do...

#15 ·
Replaced the springs and shocks with 06 Rubicon parts I got off eBay. My 98 TJ Sport 6-cyl had 128 front and 104 rear (with 145,000 miles). Replacement part numbers were 129-front and 105-rear. Got 1" higher at the front bumper and 0" at the rear bumper, so as they say - results may vary. Wasn't really looking for lift anyway, just a better ride.

#16 ·
So what word (besides lift) do you want me to use?

Lift is the same thing as unsagging.

If you don't like the word "lift" just replace it with "unsagging" then. It doesn't change a thing in my posts.

Good luck with your project.

#17 ·
ieatchickens said:
So what word (besides lift) do you want me to use?

Lift is the same thing as unsagging.

If you don't like the word "lift" just replace it with "unsagging" then. It doesn't change a thing in my posts.

Good luck with your project.
I want to lift it back to the height is should be with stock springs. Mine is lower than it should be because of the sagging, so a brand new (or close to new) set of the same springs will probably end up in the front end being almost 2" higher than it is now. Again, no trying to argue. Just tying to make sure its clear what I want to do since typing things over the internet isn't always the easiest way to explain something.

Thanks for your input tho. I've gotten more info from you than from anyone else who has read this tonight :) .

#18 ·
beezer98TJ said:
Replaced the springs and shocks with 06 Rubicon parts I got off eBay. My 98 TJ Sport 6-cyl had 128 front and 104 rear (with 145,000 miles). Replacement part numbers were 129-front and 105-rear. Got 1" higher at the front bumper and 0" at the rear bumper, so as they say - results may vary. Wasn't really looking for lift anyway, just a better ride.
So you went up 1 part number which is what I would end up doing if I used the 130's instead of my 129's. Did you experience any noticeable difference in the stiffness of the springs?

#19 ·
I know what you saying. You want to get back to where your old springs had the Jeep at one time. To me, you are lifting your Jeep back to stock height. Anytime you do something to a vehical that raises it, no matter why is lower... is to lift it.

I read somewhere on this board that there is 2 3/4 spacers now. That might be an option too. Replacing the BB spacers you have now with ones that are an inch higher would get you 1" higher than it is now.

#20 ·
Thunderstrike said:
TJ Model
FRONT/REAR PART NUMBERS
SE
126/103 soft top
127/104 hard top
X
127/104 soft top
128/105 hard top
i have 128 front/103 rear, in my R.M.E. (X) , is mine an oddball? seems odd.

#22 ·
the 103 rear is too soft. with a person in the back ive hit the bumpstops from dips in the road a few times. at least now i know why.

#23 ·
Bumping an old thread because many crazies here think rubicon springs are better or result in a lift for non-rubis.

By the way, I just pulled these from my 04 LJ (non-rubi) front: (same part the rubi TJ uses)
129AB
52088129AB

#25 ·
So, if I go from a 129AB/6AA combo with 62000 miles to a set of 130AA/5AA springs with 100 miles, any idea what it would do for my LJ? Auto tranny, 2 tops, no real extra weight other than Mopar rock crawler bumpers front/rear, planning to run a safari top all summer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.