Coil Spring Compressor ? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Coil Spring Compressor ?

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 07-08-2010, 10:32 PM   #16
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have a pry bar?

If so, use the pry bar to slightly compress the spring and also as a ramp to guide the spring in to place.

Once you get it lined up, give the spring a kick and it will pop right in.

Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2010, 11:52 PM   #17
Guardian7
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You buy a set for $10 at harbor freight to get the job done. Without the spring compressor you will need to disconnect the track bar, shocks, and maybe the lower control arms, once the coils are in use a floor jack to raise the axle enough to line up the lower control arms so they bolt up.
Guardian7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2010, 12:17 AM   #18
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I was able to get all my springs on except the rear drivers side. Went to advanced auto and they rent it to you for free. It was a $50 deposit that was 100% refunded when you return the compressor. Make sure you get an external comressor tool, not one designed for struts. And BE CAREFUL!!! If you compress one and it lets go, its going to do some damage.
Unread 07-09-2010, 06:39 AM   #19
domano 68
2005 LJ Wrangler 

good stuff
Unread 07-09-2010, 08:41 AM   #20
RubiconRazorbac
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post
I've tried installing even 2" lift springs without spring compressors and I can't manage it on my rig, even though I hear a lot of first hand accounts from people on JF being able to do so w/ 2-4" lift springs.

I don't get what I'm doing wrong but I simply can't get it to work.

So when ever I've needed to do spring work I just borrow the spring compressors. Rather than fighting the spring the whole process just goes much smoother with the compressors. And yes, if you want / need to use them you'll need the ones that fit on the outside of the spring. Even then, pay attention to their orientation around the spring. As you tighten or loosen the compresson bolts they can end up getting "stuck" in the bracketry of the axles / frame. It's not a big deal, just pay attention to how the clamps are oriented.
^This. All of it. I know there are folks that don't need them and hey, I wish I was one of those folks

You may not need them, but you'll darn sure want them
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2010, 11:41 AM   #21
242TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Headed over to the garage to work on it. We'll see how it goes. I will post what I tried and what worked for me tonight. Thanks for all the suggestions.
242TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2010, 10:54 PM   #22
242TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Got the front springs in and the arms bolted on with the help of...

Coil Spring Compressor
Tilting one end of the axle up
Taking off the frame bolts for the LCAs
Using a hand winch hooked up to a furnace bollard to get the arms in

I feel like two hands isn't enough to get some of this done, but I did. Another 5 hour session in the garage, but at least I have something to show for it this time. The couple of Jeeps I have helped lift never had this much trouble. Not sure what my problem is but this one is really fighting me...

Last edited by 242TJ; 07-10-2010 at 11:25 PM..
Unread 07-10-2010, 07:20 AM   #23
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

if i was closer id help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2010, 07:28 AM   #24
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

you forgot bumpstop extensions. now you gotta do it all over again. if you pull the jounce bumper (rubber thing) out and pull the bumpstop cup off, it makes things a lot easier
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2010, 11:29 AM   #25
242TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

These springs are really stiff and I am running 33s on a 4.5" lift, so I don't think the bumpstops will be an issue, but I could be in for a nasty surprise.

Tags
coil , spring , compressor

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.