Coil rubs front of passenger side coil bucket - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Coil rubs front of passenger side coil bucket

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Coil rubs front of passenger side coil bucket

I am having the same problem this guy is having. But none of the answers he is getting are my problem.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...ing-frame.html

On the front bucket it is rubbing and popping when I take off. This is not happening on the drivers side. Anyone know why there is less room on the passenger side, but not the drivers side. I have an adjustable track bar, but do not think this is the issue. I would think it has more to do with the lengths of the control arms rather than the side to side motion of the track bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
your money will go farther in College Station.
rubidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidriver
I am having the same problem this guy is having. But none of the answers he is getting are my problem.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...ing-frame.html

On the front bucket it is rubbing and popping when I take off. This is not happening on the drivers side. Anyone know why there is less room on the passenger side, but not the drivers side. I have an adjustable track bar, but do not think this is the issue. I would think it has more to do with the lengths of the control arms rather than the side to side motion of the track bar.
Mine was rubbing like that for a while. I have adjustable UCAs and shortened them a little to push the pinion down and it fixed the rubbing.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #3
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

there's two factors here.

1. axle position (caster, control arm lengths, etc).
2. horrible factory tolerances.

i've measured passenger and drivers side spring buckets on several TJ's, and found wide variations. sometimes an inch difference from side to side across vehicles. stick a tape measure across the width of both sides, and you'll see what i mean.

now, axle position: I had the same spring rubbing issue as well, and minimized it by extending the lowers to regain some caster, and checking full bump to make sure the bumpstops lined up. good axle position tends to reduce the spring bow that tends to occur with the lift....but you may never fully eliminate the rub, depending how tight your bucket is.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
J03_TJ

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I've had 7 sets of various springs on my jeep and had that happen with one front coil from a used set of springs. I never did swap the coil from side to side to see if the problem followed the spring. But it was my belief that it was due to something wrong with the one spring, as non of the other sets had this problem.
J03_TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #5
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
there's two factors here.

1. axle position (caster, control arm lengths, etc).
2. horrible factory tolerances.

i've measured passenger and drivers side spring buckets on several TJ's, and found wide variations. sometimes an inch difference from side to side across vehicles. stick a tape measure across the width of both sides, and you'll see what i mean.

now, axle position: I had the same spring rubbing issue as well, and minimized it by extending the lowers to regain some caster, and checking full bump to make sure the bumpstops lined up. good axle position tends to reduce the spring bow that tends to occur with the lift....but you may never fully eliminate the rub, depending how tight your bucket is.
I think you are right about factory tolerances. Is there anything I can do other than buying adjustables? Im waiting a few months until I can buy 8 Savvy arms. I also have some ballistic fab coil buckets and shock perches that Im going to burn on in a few months, I just have to wait until I can go home to use my dads welder.. When I do it, I dont think Im going to tilt the buckets and shock perches back so much like the factory did and I will probably weld them an inch or two farther forward.

Quote:
Unread 03-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J03_TJ View Post
I've had 7 sets of various springs on my jeep and had that happen with one front coil from a used set of springs. I never did swap the coil from side to side to see if the problem followed the spring. But it was my belief that it was due to something wrong with the one spring, as non of the other sets had this problem.
You may be on to something. The passenger side coil looks more bent than the driverside. It may have something to do with the fact that the bottom spring seat is on the front of the axle on the passenger side and on the driver side it is to the rear. When I say "spring seat" Im talking about where the bottom end of the spring sits.

Quote:
Unread 03-20-2013, 06:03 PM   #7
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidriver View Post
I think you are right about factory tolerances. Is there anything I can do other than buying adjustables?
cam bolts with have the same effect. cheap at NAPA too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidriver View Post
Im waiting a few months until I can buy 8 Savvy arms. I also have some ballistic fab coil buckets and shock perches that Im going to burn on in a few months, I just have to wait until I can go home to use my dads welder.. When I do it, I dont think Im going to tilt the buckets and shock perches back so much like the factory did and I will probably weld them an inch or two farther forward.
just make sure you build it all at full bump w/ the jounce removed. you've been around long enough to know all the problems with the track bar, tie-rod, diff, etc clearances.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.