codes p0171 and p0172...too rich and too lean? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > codes p0171 and p0172...too rich and too lean?

The Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 08-06-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
millerbd
1997 TJ Wrangler 

codes p0171 and p0172...too rich and too lean?

Hey everyone, I have a huge problem that Ive been trying to diagnose throughout the ownership of my TJ, about a month or so. It runs like crap and guzzles gas like crazy! Its a 97 with a 2.5.

Here are the symptoms....the codes it has thrown are p0171 and p0172, running too rich and running too lean. about a week ago it would idle very low, around 500 or so, but has since become normal. It has absolutely no power....I mean aside from being a 2.5 anyways, it feels like I am constantly driving uphill and against a strong wind...its hard to even get it up to 60mph. Also, sometimes it drives fine and has power throughout the RPMs, other times its terrible and both low and high RPMs. The only time I feel any power is a WOT.

Here are what I have tried to do to fix the problem: Both o2 sensors have been replaced, spark plugs replaced, air filter, throttle body and IAC cleaned, cleaned fuel system with GUMOUT and lucas fuel treatment (not at the same time). Here are some things I have suspected: TPS, MAP sensor, fuel injector, fuel filter, fuel pump, intake manifold gasket, EGR valve, sensor connections....who knows.

So if anyone else has run into this problem or know of someone who has....Id appreciate any help. Otherwise I have to set the jeep on fire.

millerbd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2010, 06:02 AM   #2
millerbd
1997 TJ Wrangler 

bump

no one can help?
Unread 12-13-2010, 11:54 AM   #3
rroadkilll
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Did you set it on Fire???
I can't wait to tear it up in the mall parking lot with you some day Jay... we could park on each other's tires all flexed out taking up 4 parking spots, walk in the mall with our jeep keys dangling for everyone to see, hit up some abercrombie and fitch, then go back outside and hang out by the jeeps for a few hours... maybe get risky and drive over some curbs.. :highfive:
rroadkilll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2010, 02:18 PM   #4
1982cj8
2005 LJ Wrangler 

First check the fuel pressure and volume, then check the catalytic convertor to see if it is beginning to plug up. Normaly when fuel system lean or rich codes come up it is fuel or plugged exhaust, you already did some of the basics.

4X4XNORTHWEST.COM
1982cj8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2010, 02:28 PM   #5
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerbd View Post
Hey everyone, I have a huge problem that Ive been trying to diagnose throughout the ownership of my TJ, about a month or so. It runs like crap and guzzles gas like crazy! Its a 97 with a 2.5.

Here are the symptoms....the codes it has thrown are p0171 and p0172, running too rich and running too lean. about a week ago it would idle very low, around 500 or so, but has since become normal. It has absolutely no power....I mean aside from being a 2.5 anyways, it feels like I am constantly driving uphill and against a strong wind...its hard to even get it up to 60mph. Also, sometimes it drives fine and has power throughout the RPMs, other times its terrible and both low and high RPMs. The only time I feel any power is a WOT.

Here are what I have tried to do to fix the problem: Both o2 sensors have been replaced, spark plugs replaced, air filter, throttle body and IAC cleaned, cleaned fuel system with GUMOUT and lucas fuel treatment (not at the same time). Here are some things I have suspected: TPS, MAP sensor, fuel injector, fuel filter, fuel pump, intake manifold gasket, EGR valve, sensor connections....who knows.

So if anyone else has run into this problem or know of someone who has....Id appreciate any help. Otherwise I have to set the jeep on fire.
My Chevy Cobalt (yes I have a Jeep) is throwing a 0171 which is also running lean. My exhaust started getting loud and it started rattling about the same time. For me I suspect the cat.

My 01 TJ started losing power, It is not a DD so I don't much attention to gas mileage. I changed the cat and it got better. The muffler fell of and it got even better, I suspect pieces of the Cat were clogging the muffler. The Jeep never threw any codes.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2010, 03:24 PM   #6
millerbd
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well, since the post I think I figured it out. It has a small leak from the exhaust manifold, actually there is a bolt missing. So I think that some fresh air is getting into the exhaust, messing with the oxygen sensors, reading high level of oxygen in the system. I probably won't get around to changing the gasket or checking the manifold so my quick fix is unplugging both oxygen sensors.....and now it runs great! and I get on average 17mpg. The only problem now is it runs a little rough when cold, just for a couple minutes though.
Unread 12-14-2010, 07:17 AM   #7
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerbd View Post
Well, since the post I think I figured it out. It has a small leak from the exhaust manifold, actually there is a bolt missing. So I think that some fresh air is getting into the exhaust, messing with the oxygen sensors, reading high level of oxygen in the system. I probably won't get around to changing the gasket or checking the manifold so my quick fix is unplugging both oxygen sensors.....and now it runs great! and I get on average 17mpg. The only problem now is it runs a little rough when cold, just for a couple minutes though.
I was just talking to a friend of mine at work. He has a couple race cars and builds engines (hobby not professional). He was saying that if you run to lean you can damage parts in the motor. With my car running lean I have picked up a couple mpg.

Unread 12-14-2010, 08:09 AM   #8
LJinNOLA
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Had that (just 0171) on my toyota and it was the intake gasket leaking. Looks like you're good now. There are lots of possible causes for too lean or too rich.
Unread 12-16-2010, 09:17 AM   #9
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Mine ended up being a leak in my exhaust. My car has a part of the exhaust that has a flexible section. That is where the leak is.

Unread 06-10-2012, 12:08 AM   #10
AndyKraft84
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hello "1997 TJ Wrangler" ...I just got the same codes on my 97 Jeep Wrangler 2.5. How is yours doing now? How did you find that exhaust leak? Thanks
AndyKraft84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2013, 06:32 AM   #11
Tylervalo
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I hate to bump and old thread, but have the EXACT same problem ('97 4cyl, too rich and too lean and drinking gas). Anyone ever figure out the solution?
Tylervalo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
code , error , p0171 , p0172 , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.