Code P0463 What is it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Code P0463 What is it?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 11-13-2009, 07:59 PM   #1
popeyesides
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Code P0463 What is it?

Turned on Jeep and check engine light came on and fuel gauge went from full to empty. Turned off/on two more times and same thing happened. Just checked code and it came up as P0463. Does anyone know what this code is?

popeyesides is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2009, 09:17 PM   #2
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

P0463 Fuel Level Sending Unit Volts Too
High
Fuel level sensor input above acceptable voltage.
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2009, 10:04 PM   #3
popeyesides
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLENJEEPTJ View Post
P0463 Fuel Level Sending Unit Volts Too
High
Fuel level sensor input above acceptable voltage.
What does this mean, Is it something to fix myself?
Unread 11-13-2009, 10:12 PM   #4
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

might just try replacing the sensor incase it has gone bad
Unread 11-13-2009, 10:24 PM   #5
WILLY348
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I am also haveing this same code.. i've had it for probably 5-6 months now. None have given me a real good response on what causes it.. and i dont want to go to the stealership and pay them $700 for a $50 job.

Mine is very odd. The light only will come on if i let my jeep idle for a certain amount of time after i have filled my jeeps tank. After i burn off a few gallons, the light goes away. That is until i fill up again. But, like i said, if i don't let it sit there and idle (like let it warm up in the mornings) it will not come on.

Other then that.. my jeep drives perfectly.. so i havent really thought much of it. I did at first.. but now its been like 6 months and its still driving perfectly
WILLY348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2009, 05:12 AM   #6
nmj48
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have the same issue with my 05 rubicon- fill the tank drive about 100km(60m) CEL comes on fuel gauge goes to empty, next time i start it up fuel gauge works buy the third time it's started the CEL is out. This started about 6 months ago.actually posted on here when it first happened. i just reset the CEL with my code reader each time it happens.

I have looked into this and because it always happens at the same time, I believe it is the sending unit in the fuel tank that is the problem,and not a loose connection or broken wire. The sending unit consist's of a float and a resistor track card (it is attached to the fuel pump module)to tell you how much fuel you have.

I believe there is a bad spot on the resistor track card and when the fuel tank is near full it is causing the voltage to be too high(PO463)
The voltage has to be over 4.9v for 90 seconds or more to trigger the code.

The 05 fsm states that to replace the sending unit you have to replace the fuel pump module,but you can buy a sending unit and not the pump module from the dealer which leads me to believe that the sending unit can be replaced on it's own, either way you have to drop the fuel tank.

In Canada the sending unit is $110 p/n 05161336AA and the fuel pump module (includes sending unit) is $330 p/n 05161335AB, i would imagine these prices are about half in the U.S. I have not replaced either yet.
nmj48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2009, 06:05 AM   #7
ProjectWhiteTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same code it was the fuel sending unit. A 3t
ProjectWhiteTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2009, 06:39 AM   #8
jaymann
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Mine has done this twice, only when i fill the fuel tank all the way. I havent noticed any difference in how it runs and the check engine light just goes off by itself.
jaymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2009, 08:49 PM   #9
popeyesides
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys for the responce, It now makes sense, I will check it all.
Unread 02-13-2010, 11:22 AM   #10
jeep2k9

so did it end up being the fuel sending unit?
jeep2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2010, 08:05 AM   #11
Raoul
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmj48 View Post
I have the same issue with my 05 rubicon- fill the tank drive about 100km(60m) CEL comes on fuel gauge goes to empty, next time i start it up fuel gauge works buy the third time it's started the CEL is out. This started about 6 months ago.actually posted on here when it first happened. i just reset the CEL with my code reader each time it happens.

I have looked into this and because it always happens at the same time, I believe it is the sending unit in the fuel tank that is the problem,and not a loose connection or broken wire. The sending unit consist's of a float and a resistor track card (it is attached to the fuel pump module)to tell you how much fuel you have.

I believe there is a bad spot on the resistor track card and when the fuel tank is near full it is causing the voltage to be too high(PO463)

The 05 fsm states that to replace the sending unit you have to replace the fuel pump module,but you can buy a sending unit and not the pump module from the dealer which leads me to believe that the sending unit can be replaced on it's own, either way you have to drop the fuel tank.

In Canada the sending unit is $110 p/n 05161336AA and the fuel pump module (includes sending unit) is $330 p/n 05161335AB, i would imagine these prices are about half in the U.S. I have not replaced either yet.
I've got the same problem... but only when Ifill my tank with Ethanol E85.
Unread 05-05-2010, 06:40 PM   #12
Jayson
2005 KJ Liberty 

Question NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmj48 View Post

Is there anyone that has seen engine damage by letting this go?
Jayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 08:18 PM   #13
popeyesides
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
Is there anyone that has seen engine damage by letting this go?
I never did change anything and it has only happened one more time since 11.14.09 when I fill the tank all the way and mine has been running fine, and I now have 14,000 miles on it.
Unread 10-20-2011, 10:21 PM   #14
RDaniel2405
TJ with JK Wheels

2006 TJ Wrangler 

just found this thread. I know its old, but this happen to my tj today, again. I just went home and cleared the code. This is the 3rd time my jeep has done this in 2 years.
RDaniel2405 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.