coasting in neutral w/ a manual...good or bad for the engine - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > coasting in neutral w/ a manual...good or bad for the engine

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 08-15-2010, 02:02 AM   #31
bruteboy

coasting downhill with the engine running will not cause any engine or transmission damage.
coasting downhill with the engine NOT running WILL cause transmission damage in your jeep
many heavy truck transmissions WILL be damaged if coasting (engine running or not) as stated in the operators manual.
heavy truck clutches can also be damaged from coasting under certain conditions.

it is unlikely you will get any mpg increase from coasting in neutral down hills(sounds like a good one for mythbusters)

Last edited by bruteboy; 08-16-2010 at 12:52 AM..
bruteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 02:17 AM   #32
Ggg
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawler510 View Post
Who seriously made that law? Seems a bit tough to enforce. Anyway, I'm willing to say that 99% of people respond to emergency situations by slamming on the brakes, even when they should hit the gas.

Do you guys really down shift through all of the gears when slowing down?
Not really hard to enforce after an accident. Most cars nowdays will record such data as steering input, if seatbelts are connected, brakes, throttle, transmission, and speed.
A far as do I downshift when stopping, it depends on what I am driving, and other variables. When I am driving anything heavy you bet I do.
Ggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 02:27 AM   #33
DezertTJ
Lost

2006 LJ Wrangler 

if anybody knows of big bear mountain here in California, i coasted from the top on the mountain to the bottom and drove home (124 miles) and only used up a quarter tank of gas. pretty damn good in my books

but i DO NOT have a manual, so no quoting me about anything manual
Unread 08-15-2010, 05:06 AM   #34
TheHeretic
Kool Kat 4x4

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeney View Post
Also remember, just because you've been doing something for a long time does not mean you've been doing it well or correctly.
You said it, not me.

If you HONESTLY believe that you can do the following in 250 mS:

1. Assess the looming accident, or situation that will occur if you do not excelerate, slow down, turn, swerve, or stop
2. the information is received from your eyes to the visual cortex
3. Your brain then processes said information, and makes a decision
4. information passed to the motor cortex of the brain, which triggers muscle movement

The fastest that this can be done, assuming a normal, healthy, well rested, and far above average response times .i.e Fighter Pilot, is around .44 Seconds. [NASA Technical Note, TN D-6132, cc. 1971].

So if you can do all of that in less then .250 seconds, then DAMN! You missed your calling.

The only True Professional Mechanic in the Greater Toronto Area for Modified Jeeps, and trucks. If Rock Spyder hasn't seen it before, or done it before, you don't need it.

http://rockspyder4x4.com

http://koolkat4x4.org

Last edited by TheHeretic; 08-15-2010 at 05:48 AM..
TheHeretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 05:49 AM   #35
VnutZ

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
That is odd because there was an article in car and driver or some other car magazine I read that too on that myth specifically. They had an engineer from Toyota say that any vehicle produced after 1995 would benefit most from being in gear because it would use 0 fuel to keep the engine alive and you need fuel to keep the engine at idle when coasting.
I was just going to add - you can see that happens on the '06 from with an AFR gauge. When I just let off the throttle and push in the clutch to coast to a stoplight ... the engine is idling at a 14.7 AFR. When I let off the throttle and coast with the clutch engaged to a stoplight ... the AFR shoots to an "unreadably lean" AFR.
Ox Lockers and Warn Powerplant Winch
Improve MPG: The Factors Affecting Fuel Efficiency
Cummins 4BT Jeep Wrangler TJ Diesel Conversion
VnutZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 07:41 AM   #36
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeretic View Post
You said it, not me.

If you HONESTLY believe that you can do the following in 250 mS:

1. Assess the looming accident, or situation that will occur if you do not excelerate, slow down, turn, swerve, or stop
2. the information is received from your eyes to the visual cortex
3. Your brain then processes said information, and makes a decision
4. information passed to the motor cortex of the brain, which triggers muscle movement

The fastest that this can be done, assuming a normal, healthy, well rested, and far above average response times .i.e Fighter Pilot, is around .44 Seconds. [NASA Technical Note, TN D-6132, cc. 1971].

So if you can do all of that in less then .250 seconds, then DAMN! You missed your calling.
Yep, I said it... in response to the several "I've been driving stick for X number of years".

None of the above should take the 4 or 5 seconds that you claim. Any of those reactions should take less than a second or so. A second is a relatively long time. My 250ms comment was 'tongue in cheek'. I have taken reaction time tests and have averaged 186ms to recognize and react. That is sensing and physically reacting.

I only coast when the situation is appropriate... never in heavy traffic. I always leave lots of room between my vehicle and any others and my usual reaction in emergency situations is to steer around.

If I were traveling down a hill at a speed where I might consider coasting I will be in top gear. If a situation arose that dictated accelerating then top gear is not the gear to be in. In this instance it would take longer to change from one gear to the next than to select the proper gear from the neutral position.

If the situation dictated aggressively slowing or stopping I would be using the brakes while disengaging the clutch so the transmission position would be irrelevant.

It's all about situational awareness.

I'll keep doing what works for me and you do the same.

My brother was an F14 pilot and instructor at the Navy Fighter Weapons School 'Top-Gun'... maybe it runs in the family.
Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 07:56 AM   #37
TheHeretic
Kool Kat 4x4

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Fair' nuff.

A top pilot? So he trained at Cold Lake Alberta then.

The only True Professional Mechanic in the Greater Toronto Area for Modified Jeeps, and trucks. If Rock Spyder hasn't seen it before, or done it before, you don't need it.

http://rockspyder4x4.com

http://koolkat4x4.org
TheHeretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 11:09 AM   #38
06WranglerX
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I would rather leave the jeep in gear, if something were to arise like needing to accelerate out of the way of something i would like to be able to mash the gas and not have to even think about clutch gear go. While it may seem second nature to perform this task due to years of driving, during a panic situation it might not go as smoothly as needed. Plus how many mpgs do you think you could really save from going to N on hills, it still is a big box on wheels last time i checked.

People need to be a little more trusting, Its not like we are on a convict and rapist forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Upon further reflection I've decided I've had enough of this BS and you are now on my ignore list.

06 Red Wrangler X 6 speed hard top
Ford 8.8 Detroit locked, 4 inches of lift, 33 inch BFG KM2's and some other stuff.
06WranglerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 02:58 PM   #39
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Fair' nuff.

I don't recall. He last flew for the Navy in 1998.
Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 03:10 PM   #40
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Fair' nuff.

I did. 1975. Head injury in '95 prevents me from ever being a pilot again though.

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 03:19 PM   #41
nitecop
1999 TJ Wrangler 

You will use more fuel if you shift to neutral and let the engine idle.
Most ALL EFI engines Shut off fuel completly IF the vehicle is above 20 mph, throttle is closed completly and the engine is above 1000 rpm. So as you can see you will save the most fuel if you just let off throttle completly going downhill.
Project f-Xj F150/XJ Ford eXtreme jeep combo
06 6 Speed LJ my daily driver.
Colorado Jeep club memeber #505
nitecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 03:37 PM   #42
Pallando
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteboy View Post
it is unlikely you will get any mpg increase from coasting down hills(sounds like a good one for mythbusters)
False. When your engine is idling, you're burning fuel at a pretty slow rate. For common passenger cars, I think it's around half a gallon an hour. Lets say a full gallon for the 4.0l Jeep engine.
Now, lets say your coasting in neutral down a moderate hill at 49 miles per hour. For the period of time that you are going that speed with the engine in neutral (burning fuel at the arbitrary rate of a gallon an hour), you will be getting 49 MPG. 49 miles per hour, one gallon per hour, 49 miles per gallon.

If the hill was steep enough, you could even gain some speed and increase the MPG even further.

(I don't know exactly what Jeeps use per hour in neutral, though Sweeney can probably answer that question for us with his scan gauge.)

Now, if you were coasting in gear, you would have to coast at the correct speed and gear to keep the engine RPM's from dropping below the fuel cut off point. I doubt, on Jeeps, that it is much lower then about 2000 RPMs. If you're coasting in gear higher then that, the engine is burning NO fuel and you are effectively getting infinite MPG. Free travel.
Now, the problem with engine braking is that it's engine BRAKING. As in, there's something (all that metal crap rubbing against each other in the engine) impeding you from moving forward as fast as you should be going under other circumstances. You are actively loosing kinetic energy (speed) to maintain the engine RPMs.
Thus, I only engine brake when the hill is steep enough that if I was in neutral, I'd be going too fast from a legal and/or safety prospective and would be stepping on the brake anyway.

'97 TJ, 2.5l 4 cylinder. 20-22 MPG city/highway combined.
Pallando is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 04:10 PM   #43
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitecop View Post
Most ALL EFI engines Shut off fuel completly IF the vehicle is above 20 mph, throttle is closed completly and the engine is above 1000 rpm.
Do you have an accredited source to back that up for the 4.0L, TJ engine/PCM function?...
Unread 08-15-2010, 04:15 PM   #44
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteboy View Post
coasting downhill with the engine running will not cause any engine or transmission damage.
coasting downhill with the engine NOT running WILL cause transmission damage in your jeep
many heavy truck transmissions WILL be damaged if coasting (engine running or not) as stated in the operators manual.
heavy truck clutches can also be damaged from coasting under certain conditions.

it is unlikely you will get any mpg increase from coasting down hills(sounds like a good one for mythbusters)
What is likely to hurt a Eaton clutch coasting with tranny in neutral?, the engine will be at idle.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 04:18 PM   #45
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallando View Post
Now, the problem with engine braking is that it's engine BRAKING. As in, there's something (all that metal crap rubbing against each other in the engine) impeding you from moving forward as fast as you should be going under other circumstances. You are actively loosing kinetic energy (speed) to maintain the engine RPMs.
It's called compression braking, not engine friction braking...

Tags
better economy , better mileage , coasting , driving , in gear , manual , miles per gallon , mpg , neutral

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.