clutch shudder when cold - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > clutch shudder when cold

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREE

Unread 10-24-2014, 09:30 AM   #1
Muddeprived

clutch shudder when cold

I'm wondering if this is a problem or not. When the jeep is cold, the clutch loves to shudder (whole jeep shudders) when taking off. Once it warms up it stops. It also does this when it's raining out until it warms up as well.

It's a 99 with 92k miles. I'm not sure if the PO had the clutch serviced but he did follow the factory maint. schedule to the dot. I just can't find the papers he gave me cuz we just moved and everything is everywhere.

Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2014, 11:20 AM   #2
Tj4rocks
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I am not much help to you but mine does the same thing. 97 with 137k on it. Does it mainly when it's cold out but sometimes it will shake so bad it will rattle your teeth. I have plans to put a new clutch and flywheel in it sometime this winter.
Tj4rocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2014, 11:31 AM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

New flywheels are rarely needed and are not part of a normal clutch job. Only replace it if it is physically damaged, there's no need to spend that kind of $$$ just because. Go for a Luk clutch kit, they hold up to nearly anything you can throw at it, and they're usually good to past 200k miles... early <100k mile failures are extremely rare.

Last comment, per the Mopar Factory Service Manual, don't have the existing flywheel turned or machined either. It has a slight dome shape on its surface that would be removed by having it resurfaced... yes I know that's a common part of most clutch jobs but don't do it where a TJ is concerned. At the most, use a piece of emory cloth or mild sandpaper to remove any glazing that may be on the flywheel's surface.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2014, 12:39 PM   #4
wwch99tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I put a new clutch in at 215k, it had chattered for the past several months... 2 weeks ago the throw out bearing broke at 261k

I replaced everything, flywheel($45), clutch kit(warranty replacement) and found a metal throw out bearing($22), clutch fork and retaining spring($40). The clutch is smoother than it's ever been, I think the throw out bearing was not sliding on the shaft like it should have causing the chatter?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using my thumb
wwch99tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2014, 07:24 PM   #5
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Last comment, per the Mopar Factory Service Manual, don't have the existing flywheel turned or machined either. It has a slight dome shape on its surface that would be removed by having it resurfaced... yes I know that's a common part of most clutch jobs but don't do it where a TJ is concerned. At the most, use a piece of emory cloth or mild sandpaper to remove any glazing that may be on the flywheel's surface.
From the FSM:

"Flywheel machining is not recommended. The flywheel
surface is manufactured with a unique contour
that would be negated by machining."

From research I think that the Unique Contour has been identified as a conical shape...
Unread 10-24-2014, 09:02 PM   #6
nickkick
2000 TJ Wrangler 

So what or why does it make it shudder when it is cold out is my question.
nickkick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2014, 09:05 PM   #7
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickkick View Post
So what or why does it make it shudder when it is cold out is my question.
I have no idea, but mine does it too. No oil leak or anything either, so I am stumped. I have decided that it's maybe condensation and find taking off in third rather than first just once seems to cure it. With 4.88s I find I don't need to slip my clutch much at all.

Now that it's no longer a DD, I notice it more. Almost like there's more moisture or condensation to burn off before it grabs smoothly.
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2014, 09:41 PM   #8
nickkick
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe I will check the motor mounts and transmission mounts to see if they are worn out. Cold engine might be idling high and jumpy for the worn mounts.
nickkick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2014, 10:32 PM   #9
Muddeprived

Good to hear I'm not alone with this. I was thinking something similar to brake rotors, how they are sticky when you first stop after it sat all night and it's worse when it rains. It's just annoying though. It's done this since I've owned it (2 years).
Unread 10-29-2014, 10:34 PM   #10
papaandt
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Me Too!

I just had the same problem. Local Dodge Jeep dealer told me I had hot spots on the flywheel and it needed to be turned to remove them and to put in a clutch kit at the same time. This repair was done and the problem is fixed. I read in this thread that others stated not to turn the flywheel...why would a jeep dealer say to turn the flywheel?
papaandt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2014, 01:10 AM   #11
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaandt View Post
I just had the same problem. Local Dodge Jeep dealer told me I had hot spots on the flywheel and it needed to be turned to remove them and to put in a clutch kit at the same time. This repair was done and the problem is fixed. I read in this thread that others stated not to turn the flywheel...why would a jeep dealer say to turn the flywheel?
If the shop has access to the proper resurfacing machine, the flywheel can be resurfaced and the conical shape will be retained... HTH
Unread 10-30-2014, 06:43 AM   #12
wwch99tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I had to replace my clutch a few weeks ago due to a broken throw out bearing, I replaced the flywheel too and my shutter is completely gone... My flywheel looked perfectly fine but figured while I was in there and after 260k it was due.

wwch99tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2014, 08:15 AM   #13
Muddeprived

Quote:
I'm curious what you paid for that job to be done. Mind sharing?

Thanks
Unread 10-30-2014, 11:27 AM   #14
Tj4rocks
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That's why i mentioned about replacing the flywheel, i don't want to have to tear everything apart a second time if the shudder is still there and i didn't do anything to the flywheel. Might as well do it while it's apart.
Tj4rocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2014, 03:09 PM   #15
FalloutMaster
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwch99tj View Post
I had to replace my clutch a few weeks ago due to a broken throw out bearing, I replaced the flywheel too and my shutter is completely gone... My flywheel looked perfectly fine but figured while I was in there and after 260k it was due.

My TJ had a terrible shudder when slipping the clutch when I bought it. Opened up the tranny and the TOB was barely hanging on, I was surprised it worked at all. Put in a new clutch, throw out bearing and flywheel. It's a hell of a lot smoother then it was but its not perfect. I'm thinking Its my motor/tranny mounts, likely same problem OP is having if its not the clutch/TOB.
FalloutMaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.