Clutch problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Clutch problem

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 06-28-2010, 05:03 PM   #1
darren2569
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Clutch problem

Ok. Ive used the search and am more confused than when i started. Ever since I got my jeep (2002 TJ 5spd) i can hear a little rattle when in neutral that goes away when i press the clutch. I've read that its just the throwout bearing, and Ive read that its not.

Today I went to work, everything is normal. When I go to leave, the pedal feels funny, like the cylinders are going. It still drives fine but the point where the clutch engages seems a lot closer to the floor than it was. I checked the clutch fluid level and its fine. I also noticed that my rattle when in neutral has gone away. Oh and the clutch creaks from underneath when I press the pedal (been doing that for a couple months)

I have no idea what this could be. Any help would be most appreciated.

I did read someone had the throwout bearing come apart and stopped the pedal going down as far so I'm wondering if that's it?

Unread 06-28-2010, 05:11 PM   #2
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

If your throwout bearing came apart, it would look like this.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
darren2569
2002 TJ Wrangler 

WOW. any way of checking without pulling the tranny or would I hear the parts rattling around in there still? Apart front the creak when I press the clutch, theres no bad noises at all. Its actually quieter than its ever been.
Unread 06-28-2010, 07:29 PM   #4
darren2569
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Ok Just took it for a drive and it seems fine except for the point where the clutch engages seems lower, probably about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way up from the floor and the pedal feels a little softer too. I guess if its working I should just not worry about it? I'm just kinda anxious because we're supposed to go wheeling this weekend.
Unread 06-28-2010, 07:59 PM   #5
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well, there is no way to check anything inside the bellhousing without removing the tranny. The pedal travel difference is due to something changing which altered the amount of fluid required for operation. It's needing to travel farther (longer stroke) to do the same job it's been doing, and the longer stroke means that it's moving more fluid. Simple hydraulic theory, in the most elementary sense.

Why? I'm not able to say with certainty what's causing it, but it would be best to thoroughly diagnose the issue before wheeling.

My money is on the throwout bearing, based on your descriptions.

Max

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Unread 06-29-2010, 06:20 AM   #6
darren2569
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I guess I know what Im doing tonight Any Idea how long it'll take? I'v replaced a bunch of clutches (mostly on FWD cars) but never on a Jeep. And its been a long time since the last one.
Unread 06-29-2010, 06:27 AM   #7
nikeo02
2003 TJ Wrangler 

At least for me, jeeps are a lot easier than fwd cars. With the right tools, you can drop the tranny quick. No complications, about an hour and a half. But i have a lift...
nikeo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2010, 06:34 AM   #8
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have them out in an hour & a half in most cases. I pull the T-case & tranny separately. Many people pull them as 1 unit, it seems to not make a lot of difference time-wise but just personal preference.

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 06-29-2010, 06:43 AM   #9
lowicz96
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Pulling the t-case makes the trans easier to manhandle back in if you do it in your driveway

88' Cherokee Limited - RIP

Sold - 96' Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2 Door, AW4, NP242, Its the girlfriends now!!
lowicz96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2010, 07:52 AM   #10
darren2569
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowicz96 View Post
Pulling the t-case makes the trans easier to manhandle back in if you do it in your driveway

Cool I was gonna try that because I'm doing it by myself and I figured the only problem I'll have is wrestling the tranny/t-case back in. Splitting them will definatly help. Thanks for the help guys Im a lot happier now I know it doesn't take 12hrs like someone else told me.

Tags
clutch

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.