Clutch pressed to floor to shift ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Clutch pressed to floor to shift ?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDJK Front 3 Link Prototype - Clayton Off Road

Unread 09-04-2009, 12:10 PM   #1
tophog
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Clutch pressed to floor to shift ?

I've only had the Jeep for a week. 60K miles, 5 spd. I've noticed I have to press the clutch pedal all the way to the floor/carpet in order to change gears. Is this normal? The Jeep was 100% stock when I bought it ...and doesn't appear to have been wheeled much, or at all. I figured the stock clutch should last 100K+ ? Then again it's a CA jeep and perhaps it has been used in lots of stop/go traffic.

The slave cyl is to the full mark, I checked. Is there any type of adjustment? Gears don't grind when I do shift but did notice I have to let the RPM fall off pretty good on 1-2nd shifts and shift slow or it will grind.

Does it sound like a new clutch is in my future ?

tophog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2009, 12:14 PM   #2
NEPAjeep02

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I always put the clutch in to the floor to shift. You could try double clutching if needed
NEPAjeep02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2009, 12:16 PM   #3
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Aren't you supposed to push it to the floor to shift.Does it take off as soon as the pedal leaves the floor?A Jeep clutch will last 200,000 miles.Jerry B"The King" had around 167,000 miles when he replaced his clutch and still had a ways to go.He rock crawls and smokes it.There is no adjustment and Jeeps normally grind going into any gear,especially 2nd.Have you been following Jerry B. to work?He tends to take the back roads.

Unread 09-04-2009, 12:30 PM   #4
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You're supposed to push the clutch all the way in when you shift gears....
Dmcastino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2009, 12:32 PM   #5
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmcastino View Post
You're supposed to push the clutch all the way in when you shift gears....
You mean it's not like a motocross bike where you can hold the gas WFO and kick it into gear with no clutch.That sucks.
Unread 09-04-2009, 02:47 PM   #6
tophog
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I guess I am used to driving my wife's diesel VW bug ...the clutch doesn't start engaging until about 3" off the floor in her car. Granted, I haven't driven a manual in years as I've had 3 Duramax pickups with autos since the last manual. In the Jeep the clutch starts engaging immediately off the floor. If it's normal then it's normal thus the reason I asked No, it doesn't shift like my 09 Husky 450 TXC

Out of curiosity, if the clutch is suppose to engage directly off the floor then why the extra 6-8" travel of the clutch pedal?
tophog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2009, 02:56 PM   #7
Noxian
2011 JK Wrangler 

What RPM are you at and how fast are you trying shift? Jeep transmissions are slow and don't like hammering through the gears.

On my 04 the clutch starts just a bit off the floor and isn't fully engaged until about half way.
Noxian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2009, 03:00 PM   #8
hartke20g
1998 TJ Wrangler 

my clutch doesn't engage right off the floor, i can usually let off about 1-2" before it starts to engage. the only time i've had to go to the floor to shift was when my last truck's master cylinder started to leak fluid into the cab, and i had to pull over, refill the reservoir, and pump the clutch about 30 times just to be able to get in gear. i've never driven a manual vehicle that had a clutch that engaged right off the floor. maybe you should adjust your free-play so it's at a comfortable level for you.
hartke20g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2009, 03:03 PM   #9
theAuthority

I only have to push mine in at about 30% of the way to shift, if that. I dont like working my knee harder than I have to. Most of the time I just speed shift
theAuthority is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.