clutch pedal making crackin noise *video* - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > clutch pedal making crackin noise *video*

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 07-02-2008, 11:23 PM   #1
mike68
2004 TJ Wrangler 

clutch pedal making crackin noise *video*

alright guys, about... 5 months ago, i started to notice that when i press and let go of my clutch pedal, it was making a light squeek. now, its worse, and its pretty anoiying. any help???

[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cO9qOxwC7n4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cO9qOxwC7n4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

check out my club! www.myspace.com/viking4x4club yellow jeeps club member #68
. ()()()()
./l ,[_\_\ ],
l---L ()lllllll()-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
mike68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2008, 11:30 PM   #2
raskull
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Search is your friend. :P

It's one of two things..

Either the throw out bearing or the clutch pedal itself.

If it's the throw out bearing you can replace it but it requires a drop of the
t-case, tranny, and driveshafts.

If it's the clutch pedal itself.. a little wd-40 might help.

I have heard stories of people getting their throw out bearing replaced under warranty.

Raskull - Metallic Silver '03 Jeep TJ Sport (pic)
http://myjeeptj.com <- Write-ups on mods/maintenance/trips and a video/image gallery
Custom front bumper build
Custom rockers build
My build thread
raskull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2008, 11:38 PM   #3
mike68
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raskull View Post
Search is your friend. :P

It's one of two things..

Either the throw out bearing or the clutch pedal itself.

If it's the throw out bearing you can replace it but it requires a drop of the
t-case, tranny, and driveshafts.

If it's the clutch pedal itself.. a little wd-40 might help.

I have heard stories of people getting their throw out bearing replaced under warranty.

hmmmmmmmmmm. im gunna check the pedal tomarrow morning. but i dont think that its the pedal, ive never felt anything loose, but hell. gotta check anyways. and about the throw out bearing... im gunna have to educate myself on that, im not sure if im still under warranty
. ()()()()
./l ,[_\_\ ],
l---L ()lllllll()-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Unread 07-03-2008, 02:43 AM   #4
lukethedork
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike68 View Post
hmmmmmmmmmm. im gunna check the pedal tomarrow morning. but i dont think that its the pedal, ive never felt anything loose, but hell. gotta check anyways. and about the throw out bearing... im gunna have to educate myself on that, im not sure if im still under warranty
I just had my throw-out bearing explode itself. Had the noise since I bought the jeep and 4 months later the bearings exploded.
But I know lots of people with jeeps who have had the noise for years.

The 'Throw-out bearing' has many names. It is also called the 'Clutch release bearing' and a few other names which I can't think of right now.

Luke from Australia.
lukethedork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2008, 07:00 AM   #5
UnlimitedNJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

My LJ has made that same noise for the last 2 years, doesn't always do it though.
Unread 07-03-2008, 10:48 AM   #6
mike68
2004 TJ Wrangler 

alright, so everyone is saying throw out bearing. so if i dont fix this soon what am i loking at?
. ()()()()
./l ,[_\_\ ],
l---L ()lllllll()-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Unread 07-03-2008, 12:01 PM   #7
jeepbro's
2002 TJ Wrangler 

mine does it too, i do also believe its throw out bearing but i'll wait till mine explodes like my friends did then just do it and a clutch at the same time, his also made alot of noise while it was idling in neutral and the clutch was not pressed,
to do it you've got to pull out the transmission, while you're there you might as well do the clutch and pressure plate because its just a few more easy bolts after the transmission is out of the way
Unread 07-03-2008, 12:12 PM   #8
BLATMAN
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Mine does the same thing, but i'm gonna be the oddball here and say that I always thought it was the slave cylander... It made that noise since I bought it over a year ago.
33x12.5 General AT Grabbers
[B][COLOR="Black"]Pro Comp black steelies[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][__][/B]
OlllllO[/COLOR][COLOR="DarkRed"][QUOTE]I think you should put a CAI, Headers, new muffler.. some high flow cats... maybe one of those trail jammer chips.. oh and a tb spacer... can't forget that. You will be passing prius' in no time, unless their accel pedal is stuck..[/QUOTE][/COLOR]
BLATMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2008, 12:28 PM   #9
CoolHipJim56
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbro's View Post
mine does it too, i do also believe its throw out bearing but i'll wait till mine explodes like my friends did then just do it and a clutch at the same time, his also made alot of noise while it was idling in neutral and the clutch was not pressed,
to do it you've got to pull out the transmission, while you're there you might as well do the clutch and pressure plate because its just a few more easy bolts after the transmission is out of the way
Mine does the same as the video, although not quite as bad, and it makes a lot of rattling as said in above post without the clutch engaged running idle in neutral.

How much (estimate) would it be to have it fixed at the shop would you guys think?
CoolHipJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2008, 12:41 PM   #10
Corjw
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Im not sure but i dont think the bearing would make noise if not running tho
Corjw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2008, 12:52 PM   #11
Ole Yeller
2010 JK Wrangler 

I agree with Corjw. The thowout bearing is basically a collar with a bearing on it. It is ain't movin, it ain't gonna make a noise.

My first thought was a spring. If it's louder underneath, it might be the pressure plate (which would be a similar fix to the throw out bearing.) The only things that move are the pressure plate, the slave cylinder, the master cylinder and the pedal.

I can't see where a throwout bearing would sound like that unless it was worn out and that would cause a hell of a racket when you mash the clutch.

If it's inside the bell housing (where the clutch and throw out bearing reside) replace the clutch, pilot bearing, pressure plate and throw out bearing at the same time.
2000 TJ Sport
My previous Jeeps
1992 Wrangler S (Ole Yeller)
1985 Cherokee Pioneer
1989 Cherokee Laredo
1995 Cherokee Country
1996 Cherokee Country
1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo
Ole Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2008, 12:59 PM   #12
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Lubricate the the pedal pivot points and spring attachments. No, WD-40 is not a good lubricant. Use a penetrating spray grease or a little motor oil.

It sounds just like the pedal return spring binding a little on its anchor points.
Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2008, 06:26 PM   #13
jeepbro's
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHipJim56 View Post
Mine does the same as the video, although not quite as bad, and it makes a lot of rattling as said in above post without the clutch engaged running idle in neutral.

How much (estimate) would it be to have it fixed at the shop would you guys think?
ah thinking of what the previous people said it does sound right that it might not be the throw out bearing, but the sound at idle more than likely is, mine does it too not horribly tho and i am just waiting to do it, for cost i think it'd probably be about the same cost as a clutch job maybe 4-500?
i'm not going to fix mine until it starts acting up worse or actually causes a problem because it is not my only means of transport, and on my friends his throw out bearing completely exploded and just damaged the clutch a lil but that wasn't too much more money and same amount of work anyways
Unread 07-03-2008, 07:54 PM   #14
imbezol
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe just the cable sticking in the sleeve? Or is it hydraulic?
imbezol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2008, 06:01 AM   #15
Mowmer
2004 TJ Wrangler 

It's hydraulic, any updates as to the problem.
"Whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." -Lysander Spooner
Mowmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.