Clutch Override Solution (VERY SIMPLE!) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Clutch Override Solution (VERY SIMPLE!)

Jeep Wrangler Hurricane Flat Fender Flare Kits for 2007-208.8 Swap Kit w/ TRUSS for JeepsPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 06-11-2010, 11:48 PM   #1
MartinTravels
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Clutch Override Solution (VERY SIMPLE!)

I hated pushing in the pedal every time to start my 06 TJ. So I did some research and found that adding a 10 amp fuse to the "Clutch Override" slot on the fuse block near the battery fixes this.

It did indeed fix the need to depress the clutch on startup, however another problem surfaced: the 4wd light on the dash was continuously on. This is almost as annoying as having to depress the pedal.

Now for the SIMPLE solution that fixes BOTH problems.

1) Remove the 10 amp mini fuse in the "Clutch Override" slot
2) Look under the dash at the clutch pedal and find the only two wires that come from the clutch pedal
3) Disconnect the wires (there is only one place to disconnect them; it is a plastic quick disconnect that unsnaps)
4) Take the fuse removed in step one and jam it into the female sided plastic disconnect unhooked in step 4 (it fits perfectly)

Congrats! You did it! You can now start your Jeep without pressing the clutch pedal and the 4wd light comes on only when it should: when four wheel drive is engaged. And you didn't even need to cut, solder, crimp, or splice any wires!

MartinTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2010, 12:12 AM   #2
XXRider
2003 TJ Wrangler 

yes that should would but no need for the fuse. Adding the fuse just shorted the two wires together, that is all the switch did when you pushed in the clutch. A wire or attaching the two wires together would do the exact same thing.
Unread 06-12-2010, 12:14 AM   #3
JeeplessinOk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXRider View Post
yes that should would but no need for the fuse. Adding the fuse just shorted the two wires together, that is all the switch did when you pushed in the clutch. A wire or attaching the two wires together would do the exact same thing.
The owners manual tells you how to do this also if you have one, but it also says not to do it for extended periods(The clutch safety defeat)
JeeplessinOk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2010, 06:59 AM   #4
jmccormick
2012 JK Wrangler 

that might be the dumbest "mod" i have ever heard of.

Along with one of the laziest.....
jmccormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2010, 07:04 AM   #5
ImaginaryFriend
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'm glad your problem was fixed, but if the clutch override fuse affected your 4WD light, then something is not right.

I put in that clutch override fuse years ago, and have suffered no ill effects.

[edit-looks like it is year dependent-my 01 does not affect the 4WD light with the clutch override]
ImaginaryFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2010, 08:45 AM   #6
jeffjeep1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Had a 2002 where clutch override fuse went into the fuse panel behind glove box. Worked fine for years.

My 2005 LJ Rubi, 6 speed has the sticker in the PDC for fuse 28 as clutch override, but no electrical contacts. PDC harness number is 56051479AC based on sticker at PDC. Also, my copy of the FSM lists PDC Fuse 28 as "Fused Sensor Ground". When Transfer Case is in 4LO, clutch switch is over-ridden. My 2005 Owners Manual says to put fuse in space 28 in PDC. No note in Owners Manual that "not so in LJ".

Just another Jeep anomoly!
Heidi - Golden Retriever/Jeep Dog
jeffjeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2010, 10:03 AM   #7
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

This is kinda how it works for the older Jeeps. For my 97 you just unplug the switch at the pedal and plug it into another connector to turn off the interlock system. Much simpler then a fuse and no stupid side effects.
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2010, 10:18 AM   #8
alvinl
1998 TJ Wrangler 

On my '98 I just put a fuse in the bypass, that was it.

http://www.venemousduckracing.com
alvinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2010, 10:57 AM   #9
jmccormick
2012 JK Wrangler 

can someone please explain the gains from doing this?

I'm not seein it lol
jmccormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2010, 11:01 AM   #10
cpleasant
2002 TJ Wrangler 

You get the possibility of accidentally starting your jeep in gear without your foot off the brake?
I know your rite I seid the dealer seid the same thing as you and that I don't want them there , but I was asking another qeustin as in what do I do about the slots in the brackets couse if I just put a bolt in there it will slide back and fourth but again thank you all knowing and powerfull jeep god sorry us lesser jeep peeons might have some more qeustins in the future , so please if there to much for you sit back relax go to the next post
cpleasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2010, 11:04 AM   #11
1CleanTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

nice to use on steep hills when you stall out

older wranglers , fuse in automatic tranny spot defeats the saftey switch

it works well to start when the throw out bearing goes too
1CleanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2010, 11:13 AM   #12
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

To the OP. I also did this. My interlock switch broke, and would not let me start the Jeep. I put the fuse in and drove like that for a while. I D/C the battery when doing some work, and the fusr would no longer work for the override. I didn't feel the need to spend what the dealer wanted for the switch so I did the samething. It's funny how you get so many haters for doing this when cars and trucks where made for years with out them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccormick View Post
that might be the dumbest "mod" i have ever heard of.

Along with one of the laziest.....
No one asked you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaginaryFriend View Post
I'm glad your problem was fixed, but if the clutch override fuse affected your 4WD light, then something is not right.

I put in that clutch override fuse years ago, and have suffered no ill effects.
Maybe so for your older model TJ, but on the newer ones (03 and up I believe) it does come on.

Quote:

I'm not seein it lol
Please stop being a troll. If you don't like it then don't do it. Ever get stuck in the mud or water? I guess that's hard to do at the mall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpleasant View Post
You get the possibility of accidentally starting your jeep in gear without your foot on the brake?
This is for a manual. That means you need to push the clutch in or not have it in gear when you start. People where adult enough for numerous years to start cars and truck with out them.

Lets take the warning signs off everything and weed out the stupid people!
Unread 06-12-2010, 11:42 AM   #13
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjeep1 View Post
My 2005 LJ Rubi, 6 speed has the sticker in the PDC for fuse 28 as clutch override, but no electrical contacts. PDC harness number is 56051479AC based on sticker at PDC. Also, my copy of the FSM lists PDC Fuse 28 as "Fused Sensor Ground". When Transfer Case is in 4LO, clutch switch is over-ridden. My 2005 Owners Manual says to put fuse in space 28 in PDC. No note in Owners Manual that "not so in LJ".
It doesn't work on the Rubicons - Not sure why they did this other than maybe they figured since it is bypassed in 4-low, that would suffice. You have to modify/jump the clutch pedal switch if you want to override it.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2010, 11:45 AM   #14
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I'm not seein it lol
The reason the engineers designed a way to over ride the clutch interlock system is so when you are off roading you can use the starter to get out of certain situations. One example would be if you stall in water. You DO NOT press in the clutch when in water, so you can use the starter to slowly get out.

Mostly people defeat the system so you do not have to push in the clutch to start the car. I did it so on cold mornings I do not have to get in the jeep and push the clutch in to start it, just reach in, turn it on and go back inside the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpleasant View Post
You get the possibility of accidentally starting your jeep in gear without your foot off the brake?
No, only a numskull would hit something with the system disabled. First, if you drive a manual you should ALWAYS have the parking brake on when you are parked. If you do happen to try and start the car in gear it won't go anywhere with the parking brake on. Second, the other concern is if small children try and start the car it won't start. Only and idiot would leave their kids in a car alone with the keys.
Unread 06-12-2010, 11:47 AM   #15
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinl View Post
On my '98 I just put a fuse in the bypass, that was it.
It's only '97 you unplugged the switch and plugged it into another plug.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.