Clutch override, Dont clutch in water, i dont understand..help? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Clutch override, Dont clutch in water, i dont understand..help?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 10-29-2006, 07:37 PM   #1
$lick
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Clutch override, Dont clutch in water, i dont understand..help?

I dont understand the point of the clutch override system really, say your stuck on a rock, or mud, or anything, you will have to engage the clutch at one point to put the jeep back into gear.

any the theory of not depressing the clutch when you are going through water or mud i understand, but what happens when you get stuck? the clutch has to go in at some point to put the vehicle back to neutral to prevent stalling, or once again the clutch has to be engaged to either start the vehicle or put it back into gear when getting pulled out.

so im confused.. and i come to you all for help

explain these theories..and benefits of clutch override..etc please?

Suspension specs:
RE 3.5, 1.25 JKS BL
Old Man Emu shocks
Teraflex adjustable front trac bar
JKS Disco's
Axle specs:
Dana 30- Superior 4.88's
Detriot tru-trac locker
Dana 35- Superior 4.88's
Riding on:
33x12.50 BFG A/T
Black Cragar soft 8's
$lick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2006, 07:57 PM   #2
daveg13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

You start the vehicle in gear. Try it out, override the clutch interlock, put it in first, and turn it over. It'll start running as it starts to move. Really easy to do in 4L.
daveg13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2006, 08:02 PM   #3
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg13
You start the vehicle in gear. Try it out, override the clutch interlock, put it in first, and turn it over. It'll start running as it starts to move. Really easy to do in 4L.
I have to do that everytime I move my Heep right now... no clutch = running start everytime. (I use 2hi, and don't worry, it doesn't move very often).
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2006, 08:06 PM   #4
dirtbagofva
2010 JK Wrangler 

First off don't stop in water/mud and depress the clutch, sediment will get between the friction disc and the flywheel/pressure plate. Resulting in you having to replace the clutch.

If you are going through water and the water stalls the engine, you have 2 choices in getting out, restart the engine or get pulled out and then restart. If you have the clutch switch overridden you can put the tranny in neutral get the engine running and then shut it off. With the engine able to run put it into first and restart the engine, durring the whole process you never depressed the clutch. This is hell on a starter but it is easier and cheaper to replace them.

A popular misconception about a standard transmission is you have to use the clutch. It is only need to engage first gear with the engine running since most transmissions are synchonized. What the synchonizers alow you to do is shift on the fly without the clutch. I wouldn't recomend doing this as the grinding sound you will hear is the teeth wearing off. The secret is having the engine turning the speed at which the wheels are turning for that gear (2,3,4,5). in my old truck 2nd gear was about 10 mph and 3 was 15-18.

I hope that answered you question with out being too confusing.
Unread 10-29-2006, 08:12 PM   #5
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagofva
This is hell on a starter but it is easier and cheaper to replace them.
Check my sig. Mean Green makes starters for this exact reason. Good stuff.

Quote:
A popular misconception about a standard transmission is you have to use the clutch. It is only need to engage first gear with the engine running since most transmissions are synchonized. What the synchonizers alow you to do is shift on the fly without the clutch. I wouldn't recomend doing this as the grinding sound you will hear is the teeth wearing off. The secret is having the engine turning the speed at which the wheels are turning for that gear (2,3,4,5). in my old truck 2nd gear was about 10 mph and 3 was 15-18.
Once again, . I've found the "proper" engine speed for shifting with most gears is ~1900 RPMs. But, once you get out of the crap, you can use the clutch as you have come to know and love. Just DON'T use it while in the middle of a puddle.
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2006, 08:12 PM   #6
dyna

Clutchless shifting is fine in a real truck, I dont think the AX or NV will appricate it much. Its your trans though.
dyna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2006, 09:11 PM   #7
Zice
1998 TJ Wrangler 

... where is the clutch overide?

not to sound like a n00b but I have never heard of it.
Zice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2006, 09:37 PM   #8
dyna

Fuse panel behind the glovebox, bottom left 20 amp says something about auto trans bla,bla. put a fuse in and no more pushin clutch to start. remove fuse and you have to push clutch in to start.
dyna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2006, 09:42 PM   #9
jzmtl
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Not something I would do as your synchros are now function as clutch since most of us can't rev match that well. And the grinding sound is the dog tooth in transmission failing to engage.
jzmtl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2006, 09:46 PM   #10
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i thought synhconizers were so that you can downshift

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2006, 09:52 PM   #11
Thunderstrike
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

When 4-wheeling with stick, you can crank your engine in first gear without pressing down on clutch. The sheer power of cranking will start it in gear and get the Jeep moving forward. This is the way the Jeep Legend Mark A. Smith made it over the swamps in the Amazon jungle. You don't press the cluth when submerged in water, as it will damage the clutch.

Or, just buy a rig with AUTO.
Auto, Power, Remote Start, Towing Package, MyGig Navigation with Lockpick, Rear View Camera, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, Aeroforce Interceptor, Valentine 1, Tub Sound-Deadened with Raamat and Ensolite, Hard Top Heat Insulated with 1/2" Styrofoam Insulation, Bilstein Shocks Front & Rear, PIAA Dual Horns, IPF 920H4 Headlights.
Protection: Skid Row Engine Skid, Lower Control Arm skid & Evaporator Skid; Rock Hard Gas Tank Skid; Warn Stainless Steel Differential Skid Front & Rear.
Recovery Gear: Warn 9.5Ti Winch, 11,000# Pull-Pal.
Communication: Uniden 520XL CB, Diesel External Speaker, 3' FireStik Whip.
Shrockworks Mid-width Front Bumper with Warn 9.5Ti Winch -- Ordered 7/17/2009; Bumper Received 12/4/2009.
1" Coil Spacer Front & 1/2" Coil Spacer Rear restored OEM Rake.
4x4 Trips:
Moab - 4/2006, 5/2008, 4/2009, 5/2011, 4/2013
Ouray - 8/2007
Rubicon - 9/2008
Gone, but not forgotten: 2004 TJ, 1999 Audi A4, 1992 VW Jetta GL 5 Speed
Thunderstrike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2006, 10:21 PM   #12
$lick
1997 TJ Wrangler 

so basically i do the clutch overide, and i can start my jeep when its off in first gear if im stuck and it will go?

Suspension specs:
RE 3.5, 1.25 JKS BL
Old Man Emu shocks
Teraflex adjustable front trac bar
JKS Disco's
Axle specs:
Dana 30- Superior 4.88's
Detriot tru-trac locker
Dana 35- Superior 4.88's
Riding on:
33x12.50 BFG A/T
Black Cragar soft 8's
$lick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2006, 10:25 PM   #13
msubrian
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Don't forget that your starter has quite a bit more torque than your engine. Lots of folks use their starter to climb obstacles and what not.
2005 TJ, 5.5" RELA lift / 35"BFG mudders / Garvin tire carrier-bumper / Warn 9.5ti / Rokmen Mercenary bumper / 15" MT Classic II wheels / TJC heat reduction hood / Alloy USA axles/ and a partridge in a pear tree
Sponsored by: Edge Products
msubrian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2006, 10:27 PM   #14
msubrian
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by $lick
so basically i do the clutch overide, and i can start my jeep when its off in first gear if im stuck and it will go?
if you are stuck.....then you are stuck. There isn't much you can do at that point. If you start the car in gear without the clutch you just get a lot more torque, you start rolling as the key turns, and you won't jack your clutch up in the mud.
2005 TJ, 5.5" RELA lift / 35"BFG mudders / Garvin tire carrier-bumper / Warn 9.5ti / Rokmen Mercenary bumper / 15" MT Classic II wheels / TJC heat reduction hood / Alloy USA axles/ and a partridge in a pear tree
Sponsored by: Edge Products
msubrian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2006, 10:36 PM   #15
Zice
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msubrian
Don't forget that your starter has quite a bit more torque than your engine. Lots of folks use their starter to climb obstacles and what not.
Your serious? I never heard of that...
Zice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.