clutch interlock switch? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > clutch interlock switch?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
knetz

clutch interlock switch?

I hope one you experts out there can help me out a little bit. I have lately have been having trouble with what I assume to be the clutch interlock switch on my 2000 TJ 4.0 liter. The jeep won't start, pump the crap out of the clutch and bang the shifter around for a while and sooner or later it would start. I installed the 20 amp fuse for the bypass per the owners manual but I'm still having the same issue. The clutch itself is in need of replacement if for no other reason the high mileage on the TJ (155,000 miles) if that might be a factor in the non starting. Thanks in advance for any and all help you might be able to give me.

knetz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

It could be the ignition actuator pin. The tip breaks off and the broken end will sometimes get lodged just right in the slot of the ignition switch enough to turn it, then sometimes not. Check out the thread below.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/05...imple-1522382/
Unread 08-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
knetz

Well the saga continues. I replaced the ignition activator pin and the ignition switch to no avail. The jeep still will not start without pumping the clutch and banging the shifter around. I'm hoping one of you might have an idea where to go next. And again thanks in advance
knetz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2013, 06:58 PM   #4
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Jumper the clutch switch and see if that fixes it.

Shifter has nothing to do with starting.

Check all your battery cables and grounds as well.
Unread 08-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #5
Largo1024
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Could be a bad (worn brushes, corroded connection) starter/solenoid. Can you put a test light on the small wire on the starter and see if it is getting juice all the way to the solenoid? The physical jarring of pumping the clutch and banging the shifter might be establishing an intermittent connection and allowing it to start.
Largo1024 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.