clutch click - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 09-10-2017, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Kristian_Burns
1998 TJ Wrangler 

clutch click

Has anyone ever heard of this? I will include a link to the video. The video is not my jeep however it is making the same noise when pushing and releasing the clutch. Doesn't matter if the engine is running or not. It seems to be noticeable after driving around a while once things are "warmed up".

Thanks!

Video:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-11-2017, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Kristian_Burns
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone? It seems to be getting worse
post #3 of 17 Old 09-12-2017, 01:42 PM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The spring on the Throwout arm for the clutch might have come off or was never installed? I believe it is called a return spring (maybe someone will correct me).

Either that or the Throwout bearing or pressure plate. Since your engine is off there are only a small number of culprits if you are pressing the clutch pedal and it is making that noise.

2006 LJR...the madness begins again

post #4 of 17 Old 09-12-2017, 01:45 PM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

also take a look at the firewall where the Clutch pedal enters/exits. Maybe something is not lined up and bashing against the firewall

post #5 of 17 Old 09-12-2017, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Kristian_Burns
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJnBC View Post
also take a look at the firewall where the Clutch pedal enters/exits. Maybe something is not lined up and bashing against the firewall
Ive been reading and found there is a clip or spring that needs greasing after you take the starter off you are able to see it?
post #6 of 17 Old 09-12-2017, 05:06 PM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian_Burns View Post
Ive been reading and found there is a clip or spring that needs greasing after you take the starter off you are able to see it?
you may be able to see it, but you wont be able to grease most likely without taking apart.

I would check the Firewall first. There is a piece that needs to move through the firewall when clutch pedal is pressed. Sometimes it doesn't line up in the hole in the firewall, and clicks/clanks against it every time.

post #7 of 17 Old 09-12-2017, 05:14 PM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

they are probably referencing the Fork and the one ends pivot on the pivot ball. That should have some light grease on it. Don't think that's your issue though. You wont be able to get to the inside of the fork to grease that without removing bell housing
Attached Images

post #8 of 17 Old 09-12-2017, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Kristian_Burns
1998 TJ Wrangler 

It is definitely in the transmission. Just has my sister push the clutch a couple times and I could hear and feel it clicking on the transmission. Can I still drive it like this?
post #9 of 17 Old 09-12-2017, 05:54 PM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It is definitely in the transmission. Just has my sister push the clutch a couple times and I could hear and feel it clicking on the transmission. Can I still drive it like this?
that's a judgement call for you to make. I tend to fix things like this before they become worse. IF indeed it just needs some grease, I don't think it will hurt it to drive. I am just not sure if IT IS that....could be other things until you take it apart. It doesn't involve a whole Clutch replacement but you need to separate the bell housing to get in there.

post #10 of 17 Old 09-12-2017, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Kristian_Burns
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Understood. If it does just need some greasing. By taking the starter off I won't be able to get to it? I would have to pretty much take off the transmission?
post #11 of 17 Old 09-12-2017, 06:23 PM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

If you look at the second picture I posted there is no way to get an arm into the Bell housing to grease that inside....even ET couldn't.

post #12 of 17 Old 09-12-2017, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Kristian_Burns
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJnBC View Post
If you look at the second picture I posted there is no way to get an arm into the Bell housing to grease that inside....even ET couldn't.
How hard is it to do?
post #13 of 17 Old 09-13-2017, 11:59 AM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
How hard is it to do?
is it HARD ? No. Is it time consuming, yes. If you can take off a bolts and remember where they go you can do it. With that being said, you will need a proper jack , some jack stands , basic tools.

The tcase skid will have to be removed , so you will have to support the transmission /tcase before you remove the skid as the Tcase is attached to it. Make sure you remove the Trans mount nuts prior to removing the skid plate. The rear driveshaft should be removed as well.

Then you have to separate the Bell housing from the Tranny...the top 3 bolts can be a pain because it is pretty tight in there. Separating the two may be difficult too , and lining up the output shaft to pilot bearing...a tranny jack really helps to line things up.

I would suggest Youtubing it first if you have never attempted. Having someone else to help would be ideal too

post #14 of 17 Old 09-13-2017, 12:05 PM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

check this link out...see if you can tackle this

https://www.4x4xplor.com/clutch.html

post #15 of 17 Old 09-13-2017, 02:39 PM
MrSmiley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

My jeep has made that noise since i bought it... 3 years ago. Always driven fine with zero issues engaging the clutch through any gears. And that is both with the original clutch and the clutch I put in it last year. You should be fine.

Certified Web Wheeler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.