Clutch about to go?? little help please - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 08-21-2004, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
kevmccoy

Clutch about to go?? little help please

I have a 98 with a little over 75000 on it and I think my clutch is about to go. I will be driving down the road and it seems to me like she just sort of slips out of gear and pops back in. It sort of bucks when this happens. It mostly happens in 3rd gear, I think it may have happened once in 4th but nothing else. I actually have no idea if it has to do with the clutch at all, I have never had a clutch go on me before. It would make sense however because my little sister has learned on it and drives is while I am at school, my girlfriend has learned on it, and I drive it most regularly. In addition to that I have no idea how the clutch was treated the jeep's first 60,000 because we bought it used. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
-Kevin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-21-2004, 06:51 AM
Laila

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmccoy
I have a 98 with a little over 75000 on it and I think my clutch is about to go. I will be driving down the road and it seems to me like she just sort of slips out of gear and pops back in. It sort of bucks when this happens. It mostly happens in 3rd gear, I think it may have happened once in 4th but nothing else. I actually have no idea if it has to do with the clutch at all, I have never had a clutch go on me before. It would make sense however because my little sister has learned on it and drives is while I am at school, my girlfriend has learned on it, and I drive it most regularly. In addition to that I have no idea how the clutch was treated the jeep's first 60,000 because we bought it used. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
-Kevin
My guess is that your clutch is about to completely go out. My advice is to take it in or replace the clutch before you get stranded far from home. Mine went out on my 99 at 80,000 miles and I'm pretty hard on my clutch. But the same thing happened to me.

Good Luck!

99 TJ 4Banger
RE 3.5 SuperFlex
33in BFG Mud Terrains
Hell-Bent Fabrication
DAJC member # 3
post #3 of 5 Old 08-21-2004, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
kevmccoy

yeah, thats what I'm afraid of. Anyone else have similar problems or can tell my symptoms of your clutch about to go? Thanks!
post #4 of 5 Old 08-21-2004, 07:54 PM
papredator

Try this, wind out third or fourth gear going up a hill and watch your tach. If the tach. races and you are losing power it most likely is the clutch. Good luck with it.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-21-2004, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
kevmccoy

alright, I'll give that a try tomorrow. I haven't been looking at the tach when this happens so I dont know if it goes up a bunch or what. Thanks for the help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.