Clunking From Front-end on acceleration (2wd only?) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Clunking From Front-end on acceleration (2wd only?)

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-10-2011, 05:42 PM   #1
kpalm7
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Clunking From Front-end on acceleration (2wd only?)

My '97 TJ with a 4.5" Rubicon Express short-arm lift just started a new clunking noise in the front after wheeling yesterday. I've crawled under there, and it doesn't seem like the driveshaft/u-joints are in very bad shape (62,000 original miles, with less 500 of them with the lift). Is there a definitive way to tell?

The noise is a heavy ping/clunk that happens until about 10 mph on acceleration from a complete stop. You can definitely feel it in your feet, drivers side front. I tried putting it in 4wd to see if the problem worsened, and it went away. The lift is a used Rubicon Express kit, and I suppose it's possible for the joints to be worn. Is there any way to check them besides seeing if they will move? Is it possible that I over-torqued them? I didn't use a torque wrench when I installed the control arms...

Any help is appreciated. I'm taking out some of the control arms to adjust for my SYE I'm installing this weekend, so I plan to re-torque the control arms and track bar. Please let me know if there's anything else I can check or inspect, and how I should do so.

Edit:
I forgot to mention, I've recently noticed my steering stabilizer is leaking, but it seems unlikely that it would be involved when accelerating in a straight line. My tie rod was bent last weekend, although I did adjust it a bit to get it as close to aligned as I could. Not sure if that could be related.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by kpalm7; 10-10-2011 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: Added info
kpalm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2011, 05:48 PM   #2
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I seriously think the SYE should help clear some driveline vibe stuff up, but that is only associated with the rear... and yes you can overtorque control arms, someone i know did that and his jeep road like crap until he fixed it but that shouldn't cause that problem..
mcannon111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2011, 06:49 PM   #3
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Can you really overtorque them? Really?
Unread 10-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #4
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

One way that i have found to check for slop in joints is to park your car, put on the parking brake and while your underneath looking at the suspect joint have someone attempt to roll a tire back and forth. I have used this to find sloppy joints that dont show up by just tugging and pushing on the control arms.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.