"Clunking" front end - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > "Clunking" front end

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-11-2004, 09:45 AM   #1
porch13

"Clunking" front end

I have some weird clunks that I can feel and hear coming from, what I believe to be, the front left side of the Jeep. (It's a 97 Sahara, with a BB and BL/MML) They are definitely suspension/steering related. It's almost as if something is loose, but I can't figure out what. I greased all of the fittings up there the night before last and the clunking is now much more prominent. I've been under there and given everything a good tug and I can't really see or feel anything loose. Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can narrow down what the problem may be?

Thanks!

Unread 06-11-2004, 09:52 AM   #2
Zim97tj

i had a loose sway bar link that i had to tighten it would make a clunk, you could check that it may be worn.
Unread 06-11-2004, 10:53 AM   #3
EricS

Quote:
Originally Posted by porch13
I have some weird clunks that I can feel and hear coming from, what I believe to be, the front left side of the Jeep. (It's a 97 Sahara, with a BB and BL/MML) They are definitely suspension/steering related. It's almost as if something is loose, but I can't figure out what. I greased all of the fittings up there the night before last and the clunking is now much more prominent. I've been under there and given everything a good tug and I can't really see or feel anything loose. Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can narrow down what the problem may be?

Thanks!
My control arms clunk/pop all the time. I have the RE 3.5 SF kit. It took me a while to figure out what it was. When I did, I retightened them to spec and it went away. It came back, but I put off tightening them. They are now tight to spec, but still knock.

Also, I have heard of the T-case skid bolts being loose and doing the same thing. HTH
EricS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2004, 04:02 PM   #4
Blackhole

I would also be very interested in any ideas on this problem, as i think i have the same problem. It only happens at slow speeds. usually when i am pulling into my driveway.
Unread 06-11-2004, 04:13 PM   #5
04JeepTJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

Definately check the swaybar links. My driver's side was loose making my jeep clunk at slow speeds under acceleration.
04JeepTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2004, 04:06 PM   #6
ncb76
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04JeepTJ
Definately check the swaybar links. My driver's side was loose making my jeep clunk at slow speeds under acceleration.
Yeah. The ball on the link pops out of the socket, but it is covered by a rubber boot, so it can be hard to see until the boot rips. Get a friend to rock the Jeep back and forth while you look underneah. That might help. or you can jack the front end up and let the axle droop. If it is the sway bar link, it should pop out.

'97 TJ Sport | 2" Spacer Lift | JKS Disconnects | RS 5000's | 32x11.5 ProComp MT's on MT Classic II's
ncb76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2004, 07:24 PM   #7
KUK9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I was trying to figure that exact sound out myself. I had posted earlier, but I don't think I was specific enough with my question. I have the exact same sound coming from my front end, and I haven't been able to find the culprit either. Now I have some good starting places. Thanks for saving me some hassle!!
REDLYNER Racing #4550

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/adapt-die-kuk9s-stretch-tj-build-1160620
KUK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2004, 09:54 PM   #8
04JeepTJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

My swaybar link's bottom t-55 bolt wasn't tightened enough (by me). It eventually worked itself loose enough to clunk. I have heard of the upper portion breaking like ncb mentioned but mine werent - well if they were then the dealer didn't tell me and just replaced them
04JeepTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2004, 12:14 AM   #9
WAMPAROO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb76
Yeah. The ball on the link pops out of the socket, but it is covered by a rubber boot, so it can be hard to see until the boot rips. Get a friend to rock the Jeep back and forth while you look underneah. That might help. or you can jack the front end up and let the axle droop. If it is the sway bar link, it should pop out.
Thats EXACTLY whats been goin on with me - I just noticed it when the rubber boot ripped...so now its just kinda disconnected - I was thinking about just taking it out and adding JKS but are there any parts broken that ill need to reuse when putting in the disconnects?
WAMPAROO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2004, 10:32 AM   #10
AjRagno
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Definitely check your sway bar links.

My front end has been clunking for awhile. This morning, I thought the link seemed a little loose so I jacked up the driver side front end and the ball popped out of the socket. When I let the jack down, it made a very familiar clunk.

After removing the links from the sway bar I went for a drive and didn't hear anymore clunking.

Last edited by AjRagno; 06-13-2004 at 12:46 PM..
AjRagno is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.