Clunk when I let off the gas? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Clunk when I let off the gas?

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 12-03-2011, 12:12 PM   #1
Dogbones
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Clunk when I let off the gas?

When im in 1st or 2nd gear, usually the higher gears it isnt a problem. If I'm accelerating fast and take my foot off the gas to shift into 2nd I hear a clunk that sounds like its coming from the rear. This only happens if i'm hard on the gas and put the clutch in soon after coming off the gas. any ideas?

also if i'm in first and hammer it then let off the gas completely it will clunk without shifting gears if I just stay in 1st gear and hammer off/on clunk clunk clunk..is this just me being to harsh on it or is it a problem?

I don't drive like this often, but if I do and I hear the clunk, it digs its icy cold talons into my soul and scratches my very being of sanity

Dogbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2011, 12:27 PM   #2
DallastheJeeper
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Check the bottom bolts on your shocks. Torque the crud out of them even if they are tight.
|____________________/||__/----|
|(@)(@)"""""""""""|(@) (@)***|(@)

#5-06 Salvage Rebuild LJ
Metalcloak Bumper, Overline fenders and Corner guards.
3.5" Sus Lift
1'' Body lift and engine lift

#4-98 TJ Sahara RIP :(
#3-42 GPW Project. Currently on hold Sand blasted the body and it was held together by screen and bondo so new Tub needed
#2-88 Comanche Currently getting a frame off rebuild and a 4bt.
#1-1994 Power Wheels Wrangler
DallastheJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
Dogbones
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallastheJeeper View Post
Check the bottom bolts on your shocks. Torque the crud out of them even if they are tight.
i'm willing to try anything, i will go out and tighten them
Unread 12-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #4
JeepManager
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Does it happen when you let off the clutch to start going in first too? Transmission mounts like to split on our lil' TJ's. Easy enough to replace, just the skid pan that's a PITA
JeepManager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2011, 01:23 PM   #5
03Ruth
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Check your rear track bar bushings and make sure it tightened down good.
03Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2011, 01:40 PM   #6
BUBICON

My last jeep did the same thing, pulling out of my driveway in the lower gears.. it was a thud as soon as the torqued up engine and tranny was disengaged by depressing the first inch of the clutch pedal to shift... turned out to be a torn tranny mount..
unlimited-007.jpg  
BUBICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2011, 02:04 PM   #7
JeepManager
2004 TJ Wrangler 

^^ There's a pic of what I was mentioning above. You'll notice more pull once you replace it also because more of your torque will be going to the wheels
JeepManager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2011, 02:37 PM   #8
footypaul
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Could be worn bushings in your rear control arms also.
footypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2011, 02:50 PM   #9
Jeep4869
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Like our fellow Jeepers said check your rubbers on ur shocks....tranny mounts..engine mounts....rear stabilizer bushings...u joints...might also check how much slop you have at ur rear diff. if you have stock controll arms check for cracks..i had that happen once.
Unread 12-03-2011, 03:12 PM   #10
Dogbones
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepManager View Post
Does it happen when you let off the clutch to start going in first too? Transmission mounts like to split on our lil' TJ's. Easy enough to replace, just the skid pan that's a PITA
Thanks for the pictures, it happens in 1st and reverse mostly when i push in the clutch right after the gas. also happens if i put it in first and abruptly lift off the throttle a lil clunk will resonate

how do i check if tranny mount is torn? or a worn out u-joint? thanks guys

also my sway bar links pretty much blew apart a few months back and I figured that was what was banging the bang...
Unread 12-03-2011, 03:14 PM   #11
krugunit-XJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I had a similar problem when i would accelrate my drive shaft was hitting my exhaust pipe. check and see if you have any marks there from contact.
krugunit-XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2011, 03:22 PM   #12
firejeep42
1997 TJ Wrangler 

How old is your old rear u joint?
Unread 12-03-2011, 03:39 PM   #13
BUBICON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbones View Post
Thanks for the pictures, it happens in 1st and reverse mostly when i push in the clutch right after the gas. also happens if i put it in first and abruptly lift off the throttle a lil clunk will resonate

how do i check if tranny mount is torn? or a worn out u-joint? thanks guys

also my sway bar links pretty much blew apart a few months back and I figured that was what was banging the bang...
You have the most torque in 1st and reverse... Giving you a twisting of the driveline more so than in higher gears.
A U joint will give you either a vibration or noise several times greater than the revolution of your wheels at any given speed, take a jack and place it on the output shaft of the tranny just behind the skid, lift it, but not so much that you tear the mount doing so. If you come up with the jack just enough , while you are watching the rubber on the tranny mount, you should be able to tell if it is torn or even if it has dry rot cracks and will probably go soon.
A friend of mine has a cherokee that had a thump when the rearend squatted at take off from a light and for the longest time I couldnt figure it out till i noticed his sway bar was off center on the bushings and pushed over to one side causing the back side of the bolt to hit his inner wheel well. It was binding up scraping then popping past the metal.
BUBICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2011, 04:16 PM   #14
jr03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Clunk from rearend can also be rear pinion bearing going bad. Had it do that on a Cherokee, would clunk when letting off gas
jr03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2011, 12:12 AM   #15
aznitro
1997 TJ Wrangler 

maybe bad u-joints
aznitro is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.