clunk clunk freeze - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > clunk clunk freeze

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 07-16-2012, 06:59 AM   #1
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

clunk clunk freeze

Yesterday I backed out of a parking space at my apartment to get some milk. Just before I stop to go forward I hear a loud clunk. My suspension is worn out so thought it was just a joint popping extra loud. Put it in drive and idle forward turning the wheel. More loud clunks. I get out to check if any steering parts were bent and hitting the axle.
Since I'm in the middle of the road through the complex I decide to park again. I get the wife to drive so I could watch for things. Throw it in reverse and the clunking gets much worse. The pinion was binding and popping. I thought it was sheering teeth in my diff. Going forward into the parking spot it just freezes. Now I have visions of sheared off gear teeth jamming up the ring gear, or destroying my ARB. I could rock it, but couldn't push it forward or reverse. I disconnected the rear shaft & it was still froze. Still sucks but that put my mind at ease that it was definitely in the axle.

So right in the middle of the parking lot (literally, traffic had to go around the back way) I pull the cover only to find it looked new. I jack up the driver tire and was able to rotate it by hand enough to see the ring gear was good.

I call a friend to come over. He suggests the wheel bearing. I'm at 80,000 miles and I think the original bearings. At least 40,000 has been on 35's or 33's.

I call another friend to bring his trailer out. Use my winch to pull it up onto the trailer. Popping and grinding the whole way. The tire never skidded so whatever froze it must have broke. The 9000# winch sure did load up.

Get it out to my F.I.L.'s house where I can tear it down. We were able to push it into the shop. The problem became obvious as soon as I got the brake rotor off.

Take a guess what it was.

MrBlaine can probably get it right first try if he looks through his Paypal orders.

JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2012, 07:33 AM   #2
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The brake lining came apart?
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2012, 07:36 AM   #3
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Nobody should post unless a suitable prize is provided.
Unread 07-16-2012, 08:12 AM   #4
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioTex
The brake lining came apart?
No.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm
Nobody should post unless a suitable prize is provided.
A blue ribbon.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
Unread 07-16-2012, 08:31 AM   #5
77351wcj5
2003 TJ Wrangler 

E-brake guts torn up?
77351wcj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2012, 09:50 AM   #6
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77351wcj5
E-brake guts torn up?
Yup.
Not sure the series of events, but the rear shoe came out of its seat at the top and was grinding on the rotor hat. The friction pads separated from the shoes, and the front one broke to pieces.
No idea what caused it, I don't remember the last time I used the ebrake.

Blaine's brake site was the first I found that had all the parts for the ebrake. My rear pads and rotors need replacing too, so I got new pads/rotors on all four corners.
Quote:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.