Clockspring suspected dead - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Clockspring suspected dead

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-01-2008, 08:11 PM   #1
Wrangler_91
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Clockspring suspected dead

Since I got my jeep last March the airbag light has been on as well as the fact that my horn doesn't work. i've checked fuses and everything is good. I was reading a thread the other day and someone mentioned that having dash lights and problems come up and be a symtom of a bad clockspring. Any way to test this theory that my clockspring is bad other than buying a new one and trying it out? Don't want to spend $100 if it not needed. . If not any other suggestions on things that could be going on.

One odd thing I have noticed is that when I press on the center of my wheel (where the airbag is) the plastic goes back about half and inch roughly as if there is nothing supporting it. I don't know if this is normal or not. My airbag is there though and it is plugged in. My jeep is a 98 TJ.

Wrangler_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2008, 08:52 PM   #2
03Wrangler

sounds like a clockspring to me... get it wet?
03Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2008, 08:57 PM   #3
dbbd1

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Where/what is the clockspring?
dbbd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2008, 09:26 PM   #4
EagleStorm
2008 WK 

Are you sure the air bag is there? maybe it was crashed and the did not replace it just made it look that way? could be why the light is on. Disconnect the battery wait 2 or 3 min remove the air bag see if it is pluged in?
does it look like it has been recoverd? if the bag is realy there and its pluged in it's most likely the clock spring. I bring up all this because you said it's been on since you got it. the clock spring is behind the air bag in frt of the multifunction switch round has yellow connector connects to the air bag with a 2 pin small connector becareful removing it if you break the connector you will have to replace the clock spring
EagleStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2008, 04:30 AM   #5
Wrangler_91
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yes the air bag is there. I removed the cover after disconnecting the battery and confirmed that it was there and that it was plugged in. It was like this when I got the jeep so its possible the P.O. left it out in the rain and got it wet. Is there no way to test it though to make sure it is the clockspring?
Wrangler_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2008, 10:37 AM   #6
EagleStorm
2008 WK 

you can unplug all connectors to the clock spring and run an ohms test there are connectors ft and rear of it 2 in back i think and the one if that connects the air bag
EagleStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2008, 10:46 AM   #7
fisher836
2008 JK Wrangler 

are you throwing an engine code? TPS code specifically?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.