Climate control switch replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Climate control switch replacement

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 10-30-2010, 01:08 PM   #1
01swmpthng
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Climate control switch replacement

Blower switch has not been working on 3 of 4 settings. Only works on lowest one. Changed out the blower motor resistor. Lowest setting still works, but now when switch goes between 2nd and 3rd setting it comes on just fine. Is this a switch issue or a relay issue? Obviously the blower works fine. How hard is it to change the switch? Or is it something else?

01swmpthng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2010, 02:19 PM   #2
hefightsfire
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01swmpthng View Post
Lowest setting still works, but now when switch goes between 2nd and 3rd setting it comes on just fine.
Can you clarify?
hefightsfire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2010, 03:14 PM   #3
monkeee2002
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
How hard is it to change the switch?
Yes, please clarify that. If it IS the switch, it's easy to replace. The only one that worked right on my 99 was the temp selector. I had to replace the outer two switches, and it was easy-peasy.
And, if yo0u stealership tells you you can't buy just one switch, try a different stealership.
I had one tell me I had to buy the whole unit (all 3 switches), but another Jeep dealer sold me the two switches I needed, and saved me about $80.
Unread 11-02-2010, 01:41 PM   #4
01swmpthng
2001 TJ Wrangler 

You can feel air movement on the lowest setting. When the knob is turned to the other 3....nothing. But if the knob is turned slowly and reaches hlafway between 2nd and 3rd setting the fan turns on full blast.
Unread 11-02-2010, 01:55 PM   #5
Melissas6570
2001 TJ Wrangler 

You need a new blower motor, and a new swithch. I would also do the relay mod to the blower motor switch after doing the install of the new parts. Search on melted fan speed switch, and you will find a how to on the subject.
Unread 11-02-2010, 07:37 PM   #6
01swmpthng
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Why would I need to replace the blower if it comes on between those two settings?
Unread 11-02-2010, 08:09 PM   #7
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Why would I need to replace the blower if it comes on between those two settings?
Because the blower motor high amp draw is the problem...
Unread 11-02-2010, 08:10 PM   #8
99SprintST
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You've got a 2001 like mine. After several years of use (and we live in GA where the fan gets run a lot) the brushes in the fan motor wear down and start pulling too many amps. This cooks the switch, and usually the blower motor resistor as well. In addition, it can also melt/cook the wiring at/around the switch. You could be experiencing a short in that area. Be careful as this can cause a fire. Trust me, I just went through this with mine (85K on '01 TJ). It is what it is. I've got a great mechanic who does side work at a dealership here in Marietta for great rates (also gets parts for 10% above dealer invoice), PM me if you'd like to get in touch with him. Blower motor, switch, and resistor replacement isn't that tough to do on your own. I just didn't have the time to dip around with it. There is a great write up on this that was already refered to if you are going to do it yourself that will prevent this from occurring again in the future. By the way, welcome to the forum. I'm in Marietta.
99SprintST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2010, 09:11 PM   #9
gaTJgal

Quote:
Blower switch has not been working on 3 of 4 settings. Only works on lowest one. Changed out the blower motor resistor. Lowest setting still works, but now when switch goes between 2nd and 3rd setting it comes on just fine. Is this a switch issue or a relay issue? Obviously the blower works fine. How hard is it to change the switch? Or is it something else?
Mine did that between thing and it turned out the knob was cracked where it fits onto the switch.

I've been battling AC issues (much like yours) all summer. I would pull off your HVAC control panel and check for melted wires/plugs. It's very common yet Jeep won't acknowledge the issue. At the local pull a part, it had 12 jeeps and 5 of those jeeps had melted HVAC wires/plugs/control panels. If you do need a HVAC control panel, PM me and I'll get you the info to the place. As of 6 weeks ago they were on back order when I needed one. I'm a newbie and working on this HVAC stuff is very doable.

That being said--this weekend I'm overhauling my HVAC system, adding relays, and the like. PM me if you've any questions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.