Clifford Performance camshaft for my 2.5L or just a regular camshaft? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Clifford Performance camshaft for my 2.5L or just a regular camshaft?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 04-15-2010, 10:29 AM   #1
r_unda

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Clifford Performance camshaft for my 2.5L or just a regular camshaft?

I will be replacing the camshaft on my jeep and I am trying to decide what I should buy. Will I actually notice a difference in performance? I know it’s only a 4cyl but a little bit of gain would help.

If you actually have a 4 cylinder engine and installed a performance camshaft please let me know what your opinion/experience is/was.

Thank you,

Raul

2011 WK2 HEMI 4x4 Overland
2007 WK CRD 4x4 Limited GDE Tuned
1998 TJ SE
1973 CJ5 - YJ OME 2.5" lift, 33" tires
1951 Willys truck
r_unda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 12:45 PM   #2
VikesTJman
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I know you only wanted to hear from someone that personally installed it, but i have a good friend that did and said "it didn't do much for the money i spent." Just tryin to help.

My Jeep Build:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/t...13/index3.html
VikesTJman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
r_unda

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks. I actually got more answer at the YJ tech forum.

Here is the link:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/c...1/#post9310871

1998 TJ SE
1951 Willys truck

Last edited by r_unda; 04-19-2010 at 10:09 AM..
Unread 04-19-2010, 10:04 AM   #4
wtroger
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Performance and 2.5L probably shouldn't be used in the same sentence. You have to be careful with how big a cam you put in so the Ecm doesn't throw a fit.
wtroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 10:11 AM   #5
r_unda

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtroger View Post
Performance and 2.5L probably shouldn't be used in the same sentence. You have to be careful with how big a cam you put in so the Ecm doesn't throw a fit.
I know. Here is what I said on the YJ tech forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_unda View Post

When I talked to Larry from Clifford he mentioned that they have two models for the camshafts. That if I ordered one I should make sure I mentioned that it is for an EFI 2.5L and that I could only run their 264 degree camshaft because that’s the only one my stock engine and ECU could handle.

1998 TJ SE
1951 Willys truck
Unread 04-19-2010, 10:17 AM   #6
STW
2000 TJ Wrangler 

When I did the research for this possibility for my 2.5 I found that the performance cams (including the Clifford one I think) attempt to increase hp by increasing overlap (the amount of time both the intake and exhaust valves are open together) which raised hp at the higer rpm range. This usually decreases torque at the lower rpm range since adding overlap kills some backpressure. This is the typical performance cam approach because most performance auto applications are not concerned about torque but need more hp at the high end to increase top end speed and quarter mile times. But the 2.5L in the Jeep is right at the minimum usable torque that can even get the Jeep going, and in my experience you notice any loss of torque at the low end as less power, less drivability, right away. But you don't notice much advantage in a little extra hp at the high rpm range like you'd notice it in a V8 application where you have plenty of torque and need more top end.

What I learned is that a better performance cam upgrade for the 2.5L was what is called an RV cam--a cam with lobes engineered to increase backpressure and low end torque at the slight expense of high rpm hp. There were good reports from several 2.5L RV cam installs on JeepForum and the old Fourbangers united forum. I haven't gotten around to this install but it's one of the few things I'd consider for the 2.5L based on my research.

Edit: just read your YJ forum thread and it sound like the Clifford cam is a torque emphasizing RV cam design. Will have to look into the Clifford.
Unread 04-19-2010, 12:38 PM   #7
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Buy a Comp Cams kit and put a 4.6L stroker around it.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 12:59 PM   #8
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I responded over on the other thread.... there is a fair bit of mis information being shared over there.
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.