Clicking/snapping noise when braking at slow speeds or in park - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Clicking/snapping noise when braking at slow speeds or in park

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 07-24-2013, 10:07 PM   #1
odinseye84
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Clicking/snapping noise when braking at slow speeds or in park

My 05 jeep has developed a sort of clicking when depressing and releasing the brake pedal sometimes at low speeds or when parked. Its a manual so its not the PRNDL switch, I think I can hear it in the rear brakes (which were adjusted/cleaned 10k ago, 68k on the jeep now)

I can also sometimes feel it in the brake pedal. I was thinking obviously brake related, although sometimes I think it could be some sort of u-joint issue as well.

Im not too experienced with drum brake systems, so I would like to hear everyones opinion on where to start looking/what may be the cause.

odinseye84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 03:18 AM   #2
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Climb under there and pull on the driveshafts, any movement and its a bad u joint.

If you can feel it in the pedal, chances are its not the rear drum cause the feeling wouldn't be transmitted via the brake lines. It wouldn't hurt to pull the rear drum off and investigate, the only thing that can be causing noise there would be if the springs got broken and you don't need to be a mechanic to see that. Is the parking brake operating normally?
It maybe a problem with the pedal. Look and see where it attaches to the master plunger and make sure you didn't have a pin fall out or anything. FYI the master plunger goes through the firewall to your brake pedal, so you'll be looking inside the jeep near you feet.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
oakmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
odinseye84
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the advice, should I pull on them in and out or twist to check for movement?
Unread 07-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

You should be able to feel a very small amount of turning which is normal. Although no up/down movement.

1964 Ford Fairlane 500
Unread 07-31-2013, 06:22 PM   #5
odinseye84
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Upon further investigation, it seems the sound is coming from the rear brakes perhaps, sound is consistent with speed. It only starts after driving awhile. Has anyone experienced this?
Unread 08-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Time to open them up. I have had broken springs in the past. Something may be broken and and moving around in there.

1964 Ford Fairlane 500
Unread 08-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #7
j_bydesign

2004 TJ Wrangler 

check your control arms and other fixed negth susension arms... I had the sway bar end come loose on my front axle... and it made a clunking

'04 TJ... '65 CJ5(sold :( )... 89' Int. Harvester Toter!
j_bydesign is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2014, 08:49 AM   #8
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Mine just started doing this. I can hear a slight click....click.....click with each tire revolution as I'm braking at slower speeds. Whether I'm applying the brakes via the pedal or e-brake makes no difference. I'm going to pull the drums today (everything new a few hundred miles ago) and see what I can find. Did you ever determine what the problem was?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.