clicking noise when the gas pedal is pressed ... SOMETHING WRONG?! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > clicking noise when the gas pedal is pressed ... SOMETHING WRONG?!

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-27-2006, 01:34 PM   #1
minileprechaun
1999 TJ Wrangler 

clicking noise when the gas pedal is pressed ... SOMETHING WRONG?!

soooo ... when i drive .. and push down on the gas pedal, i hear a clicking noise. it sounds like something is turning over. i can't tell exactly where its coming from, either under the hood or under the jeep, but somewhere in the front end. i hear it best when i'm driving next to something solid, like the cement highway dividers. the sound bounces off that and i can hear it clearly.
i know the sound is connected to the gas pedal somehow, because if i don't press on the pedal, no sound, and when i press the pedal further down, the sound becomes louder.
i'm pretty sure the clicking stays the same or about the same rate regardless of how much i push down on the gas pedal.

so ... am i the only one that hears this .. and does that mean something is wrong?

or is it just the normal sound of a jeep trying to turn 33s

minileprechaun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2006, 01:36 PM   #2
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I would start out by checking the throttle cable. Make sure everything is good and tight. To answer your question though, that doesn't sound normal and it should not happen regardless of what size tires you are turning. Are you 100% sure it only comes with the accelerator is depressed?

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2006, 02:01 PM   #3
DougD
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have a clicking sound that sounds like a relay opening and closing. Mine is inside the cab and doesn't seem all that loud, I have not noticed it when driving up against the concrete median wall (that is a great place to try to isolate noises, isn't it). I have not been able to isolate my noise to throttle position or any other input, it just seems to occur every 4-8 seconds, and I notice it more at cruising speed than when accelerating.

I don't really think its a relay since nothing seems to be turning on and off every 8 seconds, so I am just going to keep listening for a while. The Jeep is new to me and it may just be one of those "Jeep noises."

Sorry this didn't help much. Let us know if you figure it out.

DD
Unread 07-27-2006, 02:08 PM   #4
RockRunner85
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougD
I have a clicking sound that sounds like a relay opening and closing. Mine is inside the cab and doesn't seem all that loud, I have not noticed it when driving up against the concrete median wall (that is a great place to try to isolate noises, isn't it). I have not been able to isolate my noise to throttle position or any other input, it just seems to occur every 4-8 seconds, and I notice it more at cruising speed than when accelerating

DD

Do you have the a/c on when its clicking. Most likely the relay for the a/c compressor clutch. Mine clicks that like as well.

To the original pooster are you sure your not hearing the ticking of the valves? They tick and the ticking increases with engine rpm.

RE 3.5 SuperFlex & Front Trackbar / JKS 1.25" BL & MML / 35x12.5 MTRs on 15x8 AR-23s / Currie Anti-Rock / Jeeperman Bumpers / Rokmen Sliders / York OBA / Harbor Freight 8k Winch
RockRunner85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2006, 02:25 PM   #5
minileprechaun
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky529
I would start out by checking the throttle cable. Make sure everything is good and tight. To answer your question though, that doesn't sound normal and it should not happen regardless of what size tires you are turning. Are you 100% sure it only comes with the accelerator is depressed?
so .. where is the throttle cable?

i guess i'm not 100% sure that the sound only occurs when the accelerator is depressed, but that is when it becomes audible and easier to notice, i'll try to pay attention the next time i drive.

to clarify a little on the sound, i guess its not exactly a clicking sound. i mean, it's not like key on a computer keyboard, not like a relay switching. i guess i don't know a really good way to explain the exact sound. it sounds like the jeep is turning something over and may be struggling, but still trucking along. i guess the best audible description of the sound i can give, is if you place the front half of your tongue on the roof of your mouth and you snap it down, it makes a popping/clicking type of sound. now if you do that about 4 or 5 fives times per second, that's very similar to the sound. just not as deep in tone or as loud. i know that sounds dumb, but it's the best i can come up with right now.

Quote:
To the original pooster are you sure your not hearing the ticking of the valves? They tick and the ticking increases with engine rpm.
is what i tried to describe above the ticking of the valves? if so, then problem solved! .. but is it?
minileprechaun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2006, 02:37 PM   #6
ReNxWar

Have you tried going under the hood and tracking down the noise? If it does it when the vehicle is not moving, its something engine. If its a ticking noise, it could be lifters or an exhaust leak.

If it only happens when your moving, it could be transmission, wheels, driveshaft, bearings, etc. Narrow down the exact location of the sound and we'll be able to help you out alittle further.
ReNxWar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2008, 01:47 PM   #7
rogasm
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry to bring this topic back up, but I am having the same problm now...When the jeep is idle and when the gas is pressed, the ticking is there. Any other ideas?
rogasm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2008, 01:48 PM   #8
SeanCucf
2002 TJ Wrangler 

exhaust manifold
SeanCucf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2008, 02:32 PM   #9
34ford

Weep hole in muffler will do it, my Rubi did it, weep hole is on bottom of muffler, front plate hidden by skid plate. Look from front of skid plate back (to front of muffler you will see hole in bottom of front of muffler just above rolled edge. I put a small screw in mine just to check , then removed so moisture can drip out.
34ford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2008, 06:56 PM   #10
rogasm
2002 TJ Wrangler 

How much to have this fixed?
rogasm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2008, 07:24 PM   #11
97tjtom
1999 TJ Wrangler 

doesnt sound like a problem with your gas peal, seems more like an acceleration or power related noise. try to listen around the engine compartment while shes running to try to isolate the noise to a specific section. do the same underneath the jeep. if it seems like it more underneath the jeep on the drivers side, its probably exhaust related. if its sorta faint and very rapid on top of the jeep, it could be the lifters, which is normal for the 4.0

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.