Clicking noise that goes away when I hit the brake - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Clicking noise that goes away when I hit the brake

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 04-19-2009, 12:37 PM   #1
nathanielt
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Clicking noise that goes away when I hit the brake

So, I've been trying to do my own work on my jeep since most of it's pretty simple. Just doing minor things like a tuneup. Actually, none of this is really relevant to my question, lol.

I've notice that when I start my jeep there's a weird clicking noise that seems to come from the front end. I've noticed this off and on, it doesn't always do it. When I hit the brake, the clicking stops.

I've tried searching the forum but haven't really found an answer. The noise doesn't speed up when I hit the gas. It stays constant. I can't really tell if it continues to make noise in higher gears since the engine noise is too loud to hear it. Has anyone else had this problem, or know what the cause could be?

Thanks in advance! I haven't posted here much, I think only when I first bought my jeep and was trying to find out if people here thought it was a good deal, but I lurk around a lot and the old threads are really helpful

nathanielt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2009, 07:04 PM   #2
nathanielt
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Does anyone have any thoughts on this clicking noise? I just realized the other day it only makes the noise if my jeep has been sitting for a couple days. It goes away after a bit of driving and doesn't start again unless it sits for a few days.
Unread 04-20-2009, 08:24 PM   #3
skip44
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Check your brake calipers to see if they are loose. I chased a similar noise for a long time in my XJ and finally found the caliper mounting bolts had worn and caused a slight rattle, especially on a rough road surface and it would go away when you applied the brakes. NAPA has the replacement mounting kit if thats what it is. Good luck, hope you find it faster than I did.
skip44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2009, 10:03 PM   #4
nathanielt
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip44 View Post
Check your brake calipers to see if they are loose. I chased a similar noise for a long time in my XJ and finally found the caliper mounting bolts had worn and caused a slight rattle, especially on a rough road surface and it would go away when you applied the brakes. NAPA has the replacement mounting kit if thats what it is. Good luck, hope you find it faster than I did.
Do you think that could be it even if it makes the noise while I'm not moving?
Unread 04-20-2009, 10:42 PM   #5
sporticon03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure what exactly you mean, but, I had a clicking noise that I noticed w/ the windows/top down when I drove by a close building or by parked cars, braking also made the noise go away. It could be brakes but Im pretty sure it went away when I had my driver's side front U-joint replaced. I'd check those for play. My mechanic said the noise is sometimes a symptom. If it isnt the U-joints and your brakes are fine I'd say not to worry about it, unless its very loud.
sporticon03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2009, 04:59 AM   #6
Junky burp
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I read a while back where there was some component in the vacuum sytem that would make this clicking noise, akin to the noise of a lifter, but at a slower frequency. It was described as a check ball thingamajigger deal, somewhere under the hood.
Junky burp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2009, 06:38 AM   #7
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

To clarify... it clicks whether you are moving or not and goes away when the engine warms up or when you hit the breaks?

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2009, 07:25 AM   #8
nathanielt
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by les.delancy View Post
To clarify... it clicks whether you are moving or not and goes away when the engine warms up or when you hit the breaks?
Yeah, so I'd noticed it off and on. The last time I noticed it I hadn't driven my jeep for a couple days, and then I thought back and realized that that's been the case everytime I'd hear it. So, it starts when the jeep sits for a couple days, hitting the brakes stops it. There's no sound when the jeep's been running for about 15-20 minutes (although that's a guess since I was driving on the highway and couldn't hear it if I tried). But if I'm driving it everyday, the noise isn't there.

The noise isn't a big deal to me, since it's irregular and I usually don't let my jeep sit for long. I just want to make sure it's nothing that could cause long term damage.
Unread 04-21-2009, 08:28 AM   #9
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I was going to sugget a cracked exhaust manifold that leaked when cold and stopped when it got hot, but that would have nothing to do when hitting the brakes. Sorry, that's just weird... I have no idea!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2009, 10:54 AM   #10
shrubeck
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Check your lug nuts. I had a clicking that I thought was brake calipers because it went away when I stepped on the brake pedal. It turned out to be loose lug nuts. Not something you want to ignore and hope it goes away.
Unread 04-21-2009, 11:14 AM   #11
hyperrust
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I had this problem with my Hyundai Elantra. It was a little metal shim that was part of the front disc brakes that had broken. They took it off, and everything was back to normal.

Sorry for the nontechnical description.
hyperrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2009, 09:59 AM   #12
nathanielt
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to let it be for now. Just seems weird that it only happens when the engine hasn't been run for a couple days, lol. I'm hoping it's nothing serious, but I guess I'll find that out later if something happens!
Unread 09-20-2011, 08:07 PM   #13
gman-monona
2008 JK Wrangler 

the clicking noise in the front as you say, is that the front of the jeep like under the hood or is it under the dash like mine?

my 99 grand cherokee clicks after i release the brake pedal too. i tracked the noise down to at first under the dash and tonight i pinpointed it as coming from inside a rubber boot that gets depressed when i step on the brake. that is as far as i got, any ideas what it is?
gman-monona is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2011, 08:32 PM   #14
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If I am reading this right, it does it sitting still as well as moving? It does it only after the Jeep has been sitting a couple of days, and it is independent of engine speed?

I think I know the noise you speak of, sounds basically like a relay clicking on and off at a constant speed? Mine seems to come from the passenger side rear but it doesn't matter if I touch the brakes or not. I haven't figured out what it is yet. Seems like everytime I go after it, the sound goes away.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.