Clicking Noise from Engine Block ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Clicking Noise from Engine Block ?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 05-08-2011, 01:23 AM   #1
Blewyn
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Clicking Noise from Engine Block ?

Got back from a week away to find my TJ battery flat as a pancake, wouldn't even start with jump leads without a 10-minute charge. It has now started but there is an unusual clicking sound coming from the engine - a soft but definite click every quarter second or so. Any idea what this might be ?

I recently had a bass amp fitted, and it has no physical on/off switch. Can this drain the battery ?

Blewyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 04:11 AM   #2
noise_maker
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The amp cam definitely be your issue. Most have a set of power leads and then a small signal wire to turn it on. You will want to hook this signal wire to a lead that that is only hot when the radio is on or at least the ignition on circuit.

As far as the clicking it could be a few things. where exactly is the sound coming from?
My evap pump is real loud if my tj has sat for a few days and clicks about every 1/2 second till till it bleeds off the tank pressure
given your battery was complete flat your altnator could be a bit noisy while its charging too.

having a dead battery wouldn't cause actual engine noise so if its actually from the block then it is probably just coincidence you are noticing it now.
noise_maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 06:40 AM   #3
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Have read that partially charged batteries can cause all kinds of problems/noises/malfunctions.... and that just driving down the road won't recharge it completely? Have had similar sound before... caused by relay cycling in and out.
Fully charge or replace it and see where you stand.

RJ
RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.