Click when trying to start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Click when trying to start

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsECGS Labor Day Sale!!New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 12-18-2011, 08:48 AM   #1
NickM2828
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Click when trying to start

This morning I went out to start the jeep and all it gave me was a single click. All the lights turned on and the radio. I did have to clean and re-tighten my positive battery cable because of a similar issue I was having. My ground and positive wires are both looking pretty rugged so I am thinking that the wires are just not supporting the voltage needed to start the starter. Any other possibilities?

Thanks
Nick

Unread 12-18-2011, 09:13 AM   #2
alex211
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Mine did this once, I crawled under it and tapped the starter with a screwdriver. After that it's been starting fine but I need to get a new starter soon.
Unread 12-18-2011, 10:04 AM   #3
NickM2828
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I tried to hit it with a canoe paddle Didnt do any difference so im pretty sure the brushes arent sticking...
Unread 12-18-2011, 10:14 AM   #4
teknics

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM2828 View Post
I tried to hit it with a canoe paddle Didnt do any difference so im pretty sure the brushes arent sticking...
unless youve got nasty canoe paddle skills, that wouldnt be anywhere as effective as a hammer on the starter.

check battery voltage, ground from batt to block, etc etc.
teknics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #5
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
This morning I went out to start the jeep and all it gave me was a single click. All the lights turned on and the radio. I did have to clean and re-tighten my positive battery cable because of a similar issue I was having. My ground and positive wires are both looking pretty rugged so I am thinking that the wires are just not supporting the voltage needed to start the starter. Any other possibilities?

Thanks
Nick
I see you have an AX15 trans. It could be the clutch safety, too...

And I agree that a canoe paddle won't have the punch required to free sticky starter brushes.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2011, 10:55 AM   #6
getoffmyland
2007 JK Wrangler 

take it apart, quiet easy to do, clean it

the brushes in mine were stuck
getoffmyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2011, 11:15 AM   #7
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Remove both (!) battery connections and wire brush the battery posts and the inside of the connections until they are bright and shiny. This is one of those things where you can't look at them and pronounce either as 'ok' since the connectors/connections might look ok but not be good enough to allow enough current (amperes) to pass through them to let the starter fully engage.

If that doesn't fix it, charge the battery overnight. If that doesn't do it, have the battery load tested which is the only way to know its true health. Odds are very good the problem is either battery connector or battery related and not a bad starter.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2011, 11:16 AM   #8
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Remove both (!) battery connections and wire brush the battery posts and the inside of the connections until they are bright and shiny. This is one of those things where you can't look at them and pronounce either as 'ok' since the connectors/connections might look ok but not be good enough to allow enough current (amperes) to pass through them to let the starter fully engage.

If that doesn't fix it, charge the battery overnight. If that doesn't do it, have the battery load tested which is the only way to know its true health. Odds are very good the problem is either battery connector or battery related and not a bad starter.
x2 on cleaning those battery connections till they shine!
Unread 12-18-2011, 11:19 AM   #9
FL 4.0L

Get a cheap voltmeter and test the battery (after cleaning and tightening all connections). Just changed my battery yesterday with same symptoms.
Unread 12-18-2011, 11:58 AM   #10
NickM2828
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I will admit, my canoe paddle beatin skills are probably no match for a hammer! but tomorrow i am going to try to clean off the cables real good and get new terminals cause mine look like hell!
Unread 12-19-2011, 04:45 AM   #11
Tdog02
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Great advice, focus on the simplest fix first. Battery and cables.
Unread 12-19-2011, 07:07 AM   #12
NickM2828
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hmm, well, I tried replacing the terminals and cleaned the wiring around the terminals until it shined. Still a click. Then I noticed that if I turn the key only half way (one turn before start) and left it there a few seconds, then turned all the way, she'd start right up. Any ideas guys? I only did this 3-4 times so maybe a coincidence but I don't know?
Unread 12-19-2011, 07:44 AM   #13
teknics

Quote:
Hmm, well, I tried replacing the terminals and cleaned the wiring around the terminals until it shined. Still a click. Then I noticed that if I turn the key only half way (one turn before start) and left it there a few seconds, then turned all the way, she'd start right up. Any ideas guys? I only did this 3-4 times so maybe a coincidence but I don't know?
It's definitely just clicking and not cranking, right? If its cranking and not starting unless you leave the key on its prob fuel related. Clicking is usually electrical.

Turn your headlights on before trying to start it and then crank it, see if your headlights dim really low when it clicks.

When I had a bad main ground (from battery to engine block) mine clicked unless I left the key in the on position a few seconds before cranking.
teknics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2011, 08:07 AM   #14
merkchop
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a bad connection somewhere, dirty or loose ground since you say you cleaned and replaced your battery terminals.
I have come to find out that the 4.0 (at least) engines in the Jeep requires full power to crank. It seems that if the terminals are just the littlest bit corroded they will not crank and just give you a "click". They are much more sensitive than any other vehicle I have ever owned, if you can see any corrosion then it probably won't start.
merkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2011, 08:52 AM   #15
NickM2828
1998 TJ Wrangler 

OK so now that I have cleaned the battery terminals and given her a bath, I'm getting a single click and then about half a second later she'll start?? Any ideas guys?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.