Click from frt end - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Click from frt end

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 04-23-2008, 06:09 PM   #1
blue04jeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Click from frt end

Drove the wifes 04 Wrangler this evening and noticed a pretty decent clicking noise on turns and assumed a bad U Joint. Got home and crawled under it and found a fair bit of play in the pass side only. My question more or less revolves around warranty. She has 66k and from what I see in the warranty book this appears to be under the 7/70 warranty. I dont really care for the dealer but if its covered I like them a bit better. Does anyone know if it is a covered item. Also should I worry about the lt side as it is the same age and mileage as the rt. Last question, if it isnt covered what would a fair price be for this repair. Thanks in advance, Dan.

blue04jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2008, 07:31 PM   #2
chappy84
2004 TJ Wrangler 

What makes you think that this is a U-joint? Can you see the play in the axle joint? Maybe the click is coming from a worn ball joint? or track bar bushing? All of these things are easy (low mechanic charge) and yes if in any case ther are two identicl parts and one is bad it is good practice to have both replaced and keep good used one for trail spare. Let us know what is wronge because we rarly get to see final solutions after the cry for help.
Good luck.
Unread 04-23-2008, 07:53 PM   #3
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I had a clicking in the front end and it was a u-joint. There shouldn't be any play between the inner/outer shafts. $20 for the part and about 1 hour of my time to fix it. If it's covered under warranty then go for it.
Unread 04-23-2008, 07:58 PM   #4
blue04jeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yes I can see play in the joint. I kind of was leaning towards if one is bad the other cant be far behind also.
blue04jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2008, 08:00 PM   #5
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Probably true. I didn't replace my other one, but in retrospect, I should have while I was at it.
Unread 04-24-2008, 06:59 AM   #6
chutta
2005 TJ Wrangler 

You've got a $100 deductible on the warranty now and your hub bolts shouldn't be froze up with rust yet.
Get a 13mm box end on them to see if they are free. It's pretty easy getting the shafts/joints out.
05x 4.0 6sp 30/35, aussie front, 3.73's, r/c 4"x lift, adv adptr sye, shifter bracket, tw cv ds, 33 t/c skid, 33x12.5 dunlop mud rovers on steelies, psc sport cage/rockers, warn fr bump/steer and 30 diff skid, sirius,cb, hand throttle 1"bl/mml 265/16's pepboys at's on orig moabs for street. Lowrance H20c for gps
chutta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.