Cleaning Throttle Body - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cleaning Throttle Body

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 04-21-2008, 03:50 PM   #1
LaJeepermln
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Cleaning Throttle Body

I'm wanting to clean out the throttle body of a '98 sport from all the black "soot" that has built up. The Jeep has a little of 100K miles, if that information is helpful.

What all is involved? What do I need to remove, use to clean, things to watch out for, etc.? I'm a novice wrencher, but am trying to not rely on the shady as hell autoshops around where I live, so any advice would be much appreciated. If there's a site with a step by step instructions, that would be very helpful. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew461 View Post
I get it... The Wife told you to get a hardtop, so you told her you would trade your soft top to a guy with a hard top. By the time someone bites the baby will be old enough to ride up front, problem solved. Smart move.
LaJeepermln is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2008, 04:12 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Get yourself an aerosol can of throttle body cleaner, 3M is a good brand if you can find it and I know at least NAPA carries it. Then it's just a matter of removing the big air intake tube off the TB (just loosen the hose clamp screw that holds it on), starting the engine, and spraying it into the TB while you keep the RPMs up a tad with the throttle lever on the front side of the TB so the engine doesn't stall. The can of TB cleaner has complete instructions to make it easy. You'll need a rag too, since you'll also be wiping off the excess black goo, especially on the backside of the butterfly valve. The butterfly valve is that big round plate inside the TB that opens when you increase the engine RPMs. It's very simple to do, it takes about 10 minutes from start to finish and there are no parts to lose or springs that will fly out. If it's really dirty, you might need two cans of TB cleaner but I kinda doubt it.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2008, 05:05 PM   #3
slimtwo
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Get yourself an aerosol can of throttle body cleaner, 3M is a good brand if you can find it and I know at least NAPA carries it. Then it's just a matter of removing the big air intake tube off the TB (just loosen the hose clamp screw that holds it on), starting the engine, and spraying it into the TB while you keep the RPMs up a tad with the throttle lever on the front side of the TB so the engine doesn't stall. The can of TB cleaner has complete instructions to make it easy. You'll need a rag too, since you'll also be wiping off the excess black goo, especially on the backside of the butterfly valve. The butterfly valve is that big round plate inside the TB that opens when you increase the engine RPMs. It's very simple to do, it takes about 10 minutes from start to finish and there are no parts to lose or springs that will fly out. If it's really dirty, you might need two cans of TB cleaner but I kinda doubt it.
Please pardon my butt'n in, but I wonder if the removal technique you describe, would be the same for a 2005 TJ with the 4.0 IL 6? my jeep is gettin hard to start first time out the gate in the mornin and I think it has somthin to do with the oxygen sensor located in the throttle body, but thinking about doin it myself w/o a guide book is down right scarry. I been dreadin takin it to the dealer, but one look under the hood... well it's just not the same as my 65 Gladiator, when ya pop the hood on that baby you see an engine, nice and simple.

I try to do everything myself if I can, but I'm still waitin for the service manual to be released, at least then I would have some instructions on how to do it. Sorry to take up so much of your time, but if you had some ideas that could help, well I'd be mighty grateful to ya.
Unread 04-21-2008, 05:06 PM   #4
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Same technique, and there is no 02 sensor located in the throttle body itself.

Unread 04-21-2008, 05:26 PM   #5
slimtwo
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Same technique, and there is no 02 sensor located in the throttle body itself.
Your absolutely right! The 02 sensor is somewhere around the exaust isn't it. i know on our old chrysler mini van, there was some kind of sensor that I thought had to do with the air fuel mixture, wouldn't be the case here as well?
Unread 04-21-2008, 05:30 PM   #6
98tjsahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Take off the intake, disconnect throttle cables, unbolt throttle body, get an old toothbrush and some carb cleaner, spray, scrub, repeat if necessary.

Before:

After:
Unread 04-21-2008, 05:37 PM   #7
slimtwo
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Nice Job! So what are the sensors that are showing in the picture?
Unread 04-21-2008, 05:42 PM   #8
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimtwo View Post
Nice Job! So what are the sensors that are showing in the picture?
The top is the IAC (Idle Air Controller), the right one is the Throttle Position Sensor, and the bottom is the MAP sensor.

Unread 04-21-2008, 06:01 PM   #9
slimtwo
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The top is the IAC (Idle Air Controller), the right one is the Throttle Position Sensor, and the bottom is the MAP sensor.
It does look rather simple. maybe this weekend I will dig in to it. Do I need to worry about gaskets? Or is it a machine fit?

Thank you so much for your time.
Unread 04-21-2008, 06:53 PM   #10
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

No need to remove the TB to clean it. You'll need a new gasket if you remove it.

Unread 04-21-2008, 07:33 PM   #11
LaJeepermln
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, you guys are great. Thanks for all the quick advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew461 View Post
I get it... The Wife told you to get a hardtop, so you told her you would trade your soft top to a guy with a hard top. By the time someone bites the baby will be old enough to ride up front, problem solved. Smart move.
LaJeepermln is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2008, 07:42 PM   #12
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Plus the engine needs to be running for the TB cleaner to get past the throttle body and into the intake manifold where there's plenty of black gun inside there too.

Unread 04-21-2008, 09:29 PM   #13
98tjsahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No need to remove the TB to clean it. You'll need a new gasket if you remove it.
Takes less than 5 minutes to remove it and insures a cleaner TB. Also, my TB did not have a gasket, there is no need for one since suction pressure is not great enough to cause the seal to fail and there is little to no risk of water getting through.
Unread 04-21-2008, 10:27 PM   #14
1CleanTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimtwo View Post
Your absolutely right! The 02 sensor is somewhere around the exaust isn't it. i know on our old chrysler mini van, there was some kind of sensor that I thought had to do with the air fuel mixture, wouldn't be the case here as well?
your correct, alot of vehicles use a Mass airflow sensor (MAF) thats before the throttle body to measure air temp and how much air is passing by and adjusts the fuel/spark depending on that. Jeep's use a different type of system so you wont have to worry about that
1CleanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.