Cleaning IAC and Throttle body write up (for dummies) - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cleaning IAC and Throttle body write up (for dummies)

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 08-16-2011, 05:37 AM   #121
mightydog78
2013 JK Wrangler 

1999 wranglers dont have a throttle body gasket correct?

When I took mine apart I didn't see one....just wondering if I should put one on anyways.

Charlotte, NC / Southport, NC

Mechanical Engineer
mightydog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011, 06:03 AM   #122
andyaux
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The one I took off had one and so did the new one.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
andyaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2011, 05:31 PM   #123
KevKaos
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Bookmarked.

[FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"]RED JEEP CLUB # 621[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
It's not much, but check out my build thread;
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/kevkaoss-05-red-rubicon-build-thread-1170741/[/url]
[QUOTE=krashnpa;12397572] I know kev was riding his tank skid and belly pretty good on some of the blacks up at RC, but he doesn't back down from the line either.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=squazz;13612008]so I use my original nuts?[/QUOTE]

You should, in no way, take any of this personally. It's just business. So to recap, I come in peace, I mean you no harm, and you all will die. Gallaxhar out.
KevKaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2011, 05:20 PM   #124
teneightbrah
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Did this except for fully removing the IAC housing (no security torx bits). Scrubbed the throttle body and used several qtips on the IAC housing. Jeep idles steady and found some get up too. Thanks fishinjeep for the great write up.
teneightbrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 09:14 AM   #125
talon282
1999 TJ Wrangler 

im doing this my next day off mind is giving me fits
http://groups.jeepforum.com/Blue_Jeep_Club member #318 gunmetal pearl
talon282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 05:45 PM   #126
QCDoc
1998 TJ Wrangler 

At some point earlier it was asked how to remove throttle cables with no solution, ima be doin this tomorrow and lOoked at this the other day and thats the only thing i couldnt figure out. Help please
QCDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 08:18 PM   #127
talon282
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCDoc View Post
At some point earlier it was asked how to remove throttle cables with no solution, ima be doin this tomorrow and lOoked at this the other day and thats the only thing i couldnt figure out. Help please
good question i didnt ven think of that guess i need to look at and do some research
http://groups.jeepforum.com/Blue_Jeep_Club member #318 gunmetal pearl
talon282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 08:22 PM   #128
QCDoc
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon282

good question i didnt ven think of that guess i need to look at and do some research
Yeh im off tomorrow and wanna knock it out but thats the only thing i dunno what to do with. Looks like itd just pop off but i dont wanna try and break it haha

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
QCDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 10:12 PM   #129
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have an '05 so I'm not sure if yours is different but I just popped the cables off mine.
lope is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 03:56 PM   #130
26679cj5
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I used this walkthrough today when I cleaned my throttle body. I could t get mine as clean as the pictures, even using a tooth brush and going over everything a few times. I think a polishing bit on a dremmel wouldve been good to use.
26679cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 11:19 PM   #131
Sula
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have 97 TJ 4ltr with about 113k kms, which is about 72k miles. It runs fine but sometimes takes several cranks to start. It seldom starts on the first key and almost always on the second key. New HT coil, distributer cap and rotor and leads fitted about a year ago, and fuel pump and some lines, also about a year ago. This was for severe misfiring and farting and the pump cleared it up. Any advice regarding the starting?

I will take a look at the throttle body and appreciate any other direction that might lead to a cure.

Thanks,
Sula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 11:22 PM   #132
Fusco
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sula
I have 97 TJ 4ltr with about 113k kms, which is about 72k miles. It runs fine but sometimes takes several cranks to start. It seldom starts on the first key and almost always on the second key. New HT coil, distributer cap and rotor and leads fitted about a year ago, and fuel pump and some lines, also about a year ago. This was for severe misfiring and farting and the pump cleared it up. Any advice regarding the starting?

I will take a look at the throttle body and appreciate any other direction that might lead to a cure.

Thanks,
Starter?
Unread 09-05-2011, 11:34 PM   #133
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sula View Post

Thanks,
Slow starts are normally caused by a leaky check valve inside the fuel pressure regulator. Did you replace that at the same time the fuel pump was replaced?

That problem is so commonly caused, primarily, by the fuel pressure regulator and, secondarily, by the second check valve inside the fuel pump, that I wouldn't look beyond those two possibilities.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 12:18 PM   #134
Sula
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Jerry, I will take a look. Are these components at the pump/tank end of the lines?
Sula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 08:10 PM   #135
markx64
2001 TJ Wrangler 

IAC still acting up

I took my carb off a few months ago and cleaned the IAC valve and it seemed to work better. But then a couple of days later it started acting up again. I have a manual transmissin and when I shift from 2nd to 3rd it seems like it wants to die. It bogs down real bad. It idles fine, I changed the idle control a few months ago. Any way....I replaced the IAC and it still seems to have the same problem. When I am driving, it seems like it is starving for fuel. I know it isnt the fuel filter because I replaced that a few months ago when this first started. Could someone please help?
markx64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4.0 , cleaning iac , i6 , throttle body

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.