Cleaning IAC and Throttle body write up (for dummies) - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cleaning IAC and Throttle body write up (for dummies)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 03-22-2011, 01:10 PM   #91
MidTnSahara
2001 TJ Wrangler 

thank you for this great write up

MidTnSahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2011, 06:02 PM   #92
trailinAZ2MI
2002 TJ Wrangler 

just got done cleaning! it was a breeze, also found out the PO had put a throttle body spacer thing in... I know they don't help you significantly, but would I be better off leaving it on or taking off?
trailinAZ2MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2011, 06:36 PM   #93
jpsjp
2004 TJ Wrangler 

x2 on the spacer, I have one too and wonder if its better left off?
2004 TJ, 4" lift (Daystar upper and lower; Rubicon express springs and track bars), 35" Goodyear Wrangler Kevlar, 4.88 gears and rear Tracloc locker, 4.0 with intake and throttle body, Transgo shift kit, Front axle is high pinion Dana 30, Rear is Dana 44 w/ Disc brakes, Currie Front Anti-rock sway-bar.
jpsjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2011, 06:45 PM   #94
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

doesn't really matter whether its left on or not. Does not make any noticeable difference.
Unread 03-23-2011, 06:49 PM   #95
justa5o
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Great post....looks like may have a sunday project.
justa5o is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 12:25 PM   #96
fullbore
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncunlimited View Post
can anyone tell me how to remove the iac on an 05 lj? I checked my tb and it is shiny and clean don't need to clean that, but want to chcek the iac now. Thanks
?
fullbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 07:43 PM   #97
mhcurlee
2006 TJ Wrangler 

one torx screw on the 05 and 06 models..... instead of a gasket the new one uses a rubber o-ring. After you remove the torx screw twist the IAC back and forth while gently pulling it out.
mhcurlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 09:51 AM   #98
pricejt
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I just did this clean out this weekend. Seemed to work perfectly. However when i jumped on the highway (i had a 2 hour drive) My jeep was vibrating a lot. It was vibrating the front end not the steering. After an hour into the drive my engine light came on. Went to Auto Zone found out it was my TPS. Would that cause this??
pricejt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 10:01 AM   #99
mhcurlee
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I doubt it's coincidence. did you remove the TPS or soak it with cleaner? When I cleaned mine I really only cleaned the throttle body, the butterfly valve, and the air mass sensor. I didn't "clean" the TPS since it is probably just a simple sensor that works off the butterfly valve axis position.
mhcurlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #100
pricejt
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I thought i followed the directions and just cleaned what was said to clean. The IAC, throttle body, butterfly valve, and the MAP hose. Don't think i really touched the TPS. I am going to try to take the connector off and reconnect when i get off work. I imagine the check engine light wont go off though i will need to get it cleared.

Buddy of my here at work also suggested i put my jeep in neutral and get my engine up to speed to rule out any possibilities with my wheels.
pricejt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #101
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

Disconnect the battery for 15-20 mins and see what happens. That will reset any codes. Make sure the TPS plug is in all the way and make sure the contacts are clean. Also make sure the 2 screws holding it in are tight. Same for the IAC
PlatinumNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 08:57 PM   #102
chrisjsmith4
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyBlue View Post
My 2.4 started stalling occasionally when coming to a stop a few months ago, and this past week has started stumbling when I take off from a stop... I'm going to be optimistic and hope this is all it needs...
Weezy did this help you? Mine started doing this.
chrisjsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 02:27 PM   #103
MeanMachine
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the write-up!

Did this yesterday, man it was nasty in there. Definitely idles smoother now...

Question though: I didn't have a paper gasket or any remnants of anything between the throttle body and the manifold. I hadn't had any problems before and haven't noticed any since, should I just leave it? (If it isn't broken, don't fix it).. Or should I track one down? (It is indeed 'broken' without a gasket)
MeanMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2011, 07:14 PM   #104
QuickSack
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you for the write up, my TB was NASTY, She has 204k miles on her & never been cleaned.

'

Forgot to clean out the IAC Housing :S I'll do that another day.
idle & acceleration seems to be better
QuickSack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2011, 07:18 AM   #105
Austinb86
2002 TJ Wrangler 

If we use a paper TB gasket, does the gasket require any type of gasket sealer?
Austinb86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4.0 , cleaning iac , i6 , throttle body

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.