Cleaning IAC and Throttle body write up (for dummies) - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cleaning IAC and Throttle body write up (for dummies)

Black Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHutBlack Friday Deals !JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!

Unread 03-08-2011, 09:17 AM   #76
fstws6

I got it all back togather and cleaned and it still stumbled and tried to die. So the next day I tried something different. I checked the 3 connectors that plug into the jeeps pcm/ ecm while it was running I pushed on the plugs/connectors that go into the ecm and I could make it try to die or cut out, so I checked for a dirty connection and it was clean I then got some electric grease and applied that on the connection points reinstalled it and even put some zip ties around the connectors and ecm to keep it all tight. I then restarted it and tried to push on the connectors to make it act up and I could not get it to do it. It drove fine yesterday,will see what today brings.

fstws6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2011, 04:36 PM   #77
11thzone
2004 TJ Wrangler 

fishingjeepman! I just did my TB as per your guide and all seems well, yet when I cold start and am at idle, the engine fluctuates then stall out. I did pull the IAC sensor plug and when I did, the inside of the IAC came out a little from being pulled, and I had to stuff it back in. When I did, the O ring inside the sensor housing did not sit well. This may be the source of my problem, I also forgot to remove the neg terminal cable before I did all the work, I have since repeated the job and am awaiting the RTV to dry to test it out. Do you think I messed up the IAC? If I did Im have to buy a new one and see if that helps.
11thzone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2011, 08:18 PM   #78
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thzone View Post
fishingjeepman! I just did my TB as per your guide and all seems well, yet when I cold start and am at idle, the engine fluctuates then stall out. I did pull the IAC sensor plug and when I did, the inside of the IAC came out a little from being pulled, and I had to stuff it back in. When I did, the O ring inside the sensor housing did not sit well. This may be the source of my problem, I also forgot to remove the neg terminal cable before I did all the work, I have since repeated the job and am awaiting the RTV to dry to test it out. Do you think I messed up the IAC? If I did Im have to buy a new one and see if that helps.
What little piece are you talking bout? IAC sensors from my experience seem to be a bit durable. how is your gas mileage? You might possibly have problems with your O2 sensors going bad making the wrong fuel mixture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstws6 View Post
I got it all back togather and cleaned and it still stumbled and tried to die. So the next day I tried something different. I checked the 3 connectors that plug into the jeeps pcm/ ecm while it was running I pushed on the plugs/connectors that go into the ecm and I could make it try to die or cut out, so I checked for a dirty connection and it was clean I then got some electric grease and applied that on the connection points reinstalled it and even put some zip ties around the connectors and ecm to keep it all tight. I then restarted it and tried to push on the connectors to make it act up and I could not get it to do it. It drove fine yesterday,will see what today brings.
there might be other things wrong then. possibly a crank/cam shaft sensor?
Unread 03-11-2011, 09:48 PM   #79
Jadetastic
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Fishinjeeper! Had this done in a couple hours.

Started out w/ a Pcode 1294, so I decided to change: sparkplugs, air filter, oil&filter, took apart TB, cleaned iap, tps, & map, then did an entire seafoam treatment. But now I'm at 1800rpms now (b4 800-1200) what the frick! So I go back check all electrical connections, clean them out w/electrical connector cleaner- I'm waiting for it to cool down to change the oil again bc I had a retard moment not thinking to do it after the seafoam oh well-

ok so where do I start? Should I look for vacuum leaks? Or should I check voltage on the sensors first? suggestions anybody? Greatly appreciated
Unread 03-11-2011, 11:48 PM   #80
NCUNLIMITED
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Sometimes when you do the seafoam you actually clean the engine and components too well. It will clean the deposits that are plugging little holes that you didn't know you had. There are some stories on here that people have seafoamed their Jeeps and they opened up a whole new can of worms. Went from riding rough or hesitating to all Hell breaking loose. I did mine and thankfully it ran better. Hope you find the peoblem and it's something simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadetastic View Post
Thanks Fishinjeeper! Had this done in a couple hours.

Started out w/ a Pcode 1294, so I decided to change: sparkplugs, air filter, oil&filter, took apart TB, cleaned iap, tps, & map, then did an entire seafoam treatment. But now I'm at 1800rpms now (b4 800-1200) what the frick! So I go back check all electrical connections, clean them out w/electrical connector cleaner- I'm waiting for it to cool down to change the oil again bc I had a retard moment not thinking to do it after the seafoam oh well-

ok so where do I start? Should I look for vacuum leaks? Or should I check voltage on the sensors first? suggestions anybody? Greatly appreciated
NCUNLIMITED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #81
Jadetastic
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks a bunch, it's 8am I guess I'll sneak out there and toy with it till my lil one wakes up, cereal & Saturday cartoons is a must (although I miss 80's-90's cartoons)

I'll start it up and see how she's purrin
Unread 03-12-2011, 03:39 PM   #82
Jadetastic
1997 TJ Wrangler 

After disconnecting the battery and putting it back on, everything seemed fine- If not better! I'm guessing the disconnect reset everything! So woohoo, thanks again for the write-up
Unread 03-15-2011, 09:19 PM   #83
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

yes Jadetastic, sometimes resetting your computer will do the trick. If it didn't change it, I would suspected it would be a vacuum leak.
Unread 03-20-2011, 11:17 PM   #84
mclovinal
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i did this today, as per instruction, in the morning i'm gonna test it out, and if i did anything wrong, i'll be back. lol.
Unread 03-21-2011, 06:20 PM   #85
BerkshireBoy10

Help me!!

just installed Painless Performance 68mm throttle body on my 06 Wrangler....and i just cleaned the IAC and my idle is still all frigged in between shifts... idles at round 2.5 grand until i romp on the gas then it idles down.... ( not always ) i have cleaned all sensors going into the throttle body....
BerkshireBoy10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2011, 06:38 PM   #86
Winners97TJ
Go Big Or Go Home

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinjeeper
...sometimes resetting your computer will do the trick. ...
Sent from my iPhone using the JeepForum App - Gotta love it!

1997 Jeep TJ - Truly BUILT not BOUGHT! Purchased from original owner stock... obviously THAT didn't last long!

| WJ Seat Swap into a TJ WITH FORWARD TILT!!

Winners97TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2011, 08:23 PM   #87
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkshireBoy10 View Post
just installed Painless Performance 68mm throttle body on my 06 Wrangler....and i just cleaned the IAC and my idle is still all frigged in between shifts... idles at round 2.5 grand until i romp on the gas then it idles down.... ( not always ) i have cleaned all sensors going into the throttle body....
Might have a vacuum leak....
Unread 03-21-2011, 09:39 PM   #88
MikeeN
2003 WJ 

nice write up helped me a lot today
MikeeN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2011, 11:45 PM   #89
trailinAZ2MI
2002 TJ Wrangler 

great write up, thanks for taking the time.
trailinAZ2MI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2011, 01:57 PM   #90
joules102
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Good write up, Thanks
joules102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4.0 , cleaning iac , i6 , throttle body

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.