Cleaning IAC and Throttle body write up (for dummies) - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cleaning IAC and Throttle body write up (for dummies)

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 11-03-2010, 07:28 AM   #31
WillysEdition04
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCUNLIMITED View Post
Can anyone tell me how to remove the IAC on an 05 LJ? I checked my TB and it is shiny and clean don't need to clean that, but want to chcek the IAC now. Thanks
2 torx bolts.

ChevTac Firearms, LLC
"Like" us on Facebook: facebook.com/ChevTec
WillysEdition04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2010, 07:03 PM   #32
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BomberJeep View Post
Great write up. I have a long list of maintenance to perform on my Jeep when I return from deployment. Thanks OP
Thank you for serving!

Quote:
Can anyone tell me how to remove the IAC on an 05 LJ? I checked my TB and it is shiny and clean don't need to clean that, but want to chcek the IAC now. Thanks
Take off the electrical connection, and then there are just two torx (SP?) screws. just take them off and it will come right out

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaTJgal View Post
You are a zip tie genius! I didn't even think to take off the IAC housing a while back when I cleaned the throttle body on my jeep for the first time. Great writeup.
Thanks, zip ties and duct tape with a little beer can fix anything except our government...
Unread 11-04-2010, 07:33 PM   #33
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

good post.
My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
TJ Rear Dana 44 shaftsfor sale
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

JeepRocks86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2010, 07:45 PM   #34
skydiver30960
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinjeeper View Post

Thanks, zip ties and duct tape with a little beer can fix anything except our government...
Heh. They just haven't used enough beer yet. Politicians are stuck in that "pretty drunk, paranoid, ready to fight, I hate everyone" phase and need to drink another sixpack or so to get to the "I love you, man" phase.

And to the OP: one word, dude... bookmarked.

Ike

I will NOT calm down! Machine guns affect my ability to perform and I do NOT like that! -- Ricardo Tubbs

The world is a mess... and I just need to RULE it. -- Dr. Horrible

Machete don't txt. -- Machete
skydiver30960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 06:48 PM   #35
aconsola
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I had cleaned the main part of the tb a couple months ago when I got my jeep, but didn't take the iac out to clean it. It has been having a little bit of rough idling, so I Pulled the TB off again tonight and did a complete cleaning this time.
I had a hard time starting it after putting it back together. It stalled 3 times just getting out of my driveway. once I got going on the street and it warmed up it runs fine. no CEL, and idle seems smoother. starts right up warm, no hesitation.
anybody have this happen after cleaning?
aconsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 08:35 PM   #36
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I too need to do this. I can only imagine what mine looks like after 186k.
Unread 11-08-2010, 09:13 PM   #37
mikebyn
2006 TJ Wrangler 

nice job
mikebyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 09:38 PM   #38
NCUNLIMITED
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Take off the electrical connection, and then there are just two torx (SP?) screws. just take them off and it will come right ou
I took off the electrical connection but the IAC in my 05 LJ doesn't look like the one in your jeep. It looks like it unscrews or something
NCUNLIMITED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 10:05 PM   #39
Wajoe
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Bookmarked for my "when I get around to it" list, thanks!
Wajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 10:46 PM   #40
dbbd1

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Great job! Now I just need to do it.

The only problem that you have with anyone in this world, is what you expect of them.

Society is no match for a stupid person.

"Life Is tough but it is tougher when you are stupid"

-John Wayne
dbbd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2010, 09:05 AM   #41
Winners97TJ
Go Big Or Go Home

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Did this last night. The housing to the IAC was caked!
Strong write up.

1997 Jeep TJ - Truly BUILT not BOUGHT! Purchased from original owner stock... obviously THAT didn't last long!

| WJ Seat Swap into a TJ WITH FORWARD TILT!!

Winners97TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2010, 06:41 PM   #42
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aconsola View Post
I had cleaned the main part of the tb a couple months ago when I got my jeep, but didn't take the iac out to clean it. It has been having a little bit of rough idling, so I Pulled the TB off again tonight and did a complete cleaning this time.
I had a hard time starting it after putting it back together. It stalled 3 times just getting out of my driveway. once I got going on the street and it warmed up it runs fine. no CEL, and idle seems smoother. starts right up warm, no hesitation.
anybody have this happen after cleaning?
Yes, that happened to me. I believe its because there it was not completely dry. But after it warmed up, I have not had that problem since

Quote:
I took off the electrical connection but the IAC in my 05 LJ doesn't look like the one in your jeep. It looks like it unscrews or something
It appears that there is one small screw or bolt in your IAC. you will need to take that out and then your IAC should come right out. Here are the pictures of your IAC and you can see the one screw hole
646634.jpg   646636.jpg  
Unread 11-09-2010, 06:50 PM   #43
NCUNLIMITED
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It appears that there is one small screw or bolt in your IAC. you will need to take that out and then your IAC should come right out. Here are the pictures of your IAC and you can see the one screw hole
Thank you, going to do it tonight
NCUNLIMITED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2010, 07:37 PM   #44
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I cleaned mine and right after took it out on the highway to burn off any residue that may not have evaporated before I put it back together.
Nice write up

I have also done this on other cars, such as a Neon and I was suprised to find out the Neon's throttle body was plastic! What the @#$
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
oakmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 02:14 PM   #45
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

Awesome write up. All i have to add is it would be a good idea to disconnect the battery while doing this. Once your sensors have been cleaned, the signal being sent to your computer will be different. It will be right again lol or atleast better than it was. Let your computer relearn the right code from a fresh start. Having the battery diconnected for about 15 mins should clear all memory.
PlatinumNiner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4.0 , cleaning iac , i6 , throttle body

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.