Cleaning IAC and Throttle body write up (for dummies) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cleaning IAC and Throttle body write up (for dummies)

Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday SaNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 10-27-2010, 03:06 PM   #16
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithert View Post
I wiped down the mouth of the throttle opening. There was a light greasy buildup there. I then used Seafoam's intake cleaner that you spray into the intake while the engine is running for 3 minutes. My gas mileage does seem to be up by 1 or 2 mpg. I religiously track my gas mileage so I would know if it was getting better. My question is why does having a little buildup of gunk in the intake affect the gas mileage?
The light build up will not affect gas miliage. After a while it will affect your performance. once it does then it will affect your gas miliage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithert View Post
I sometimes get a stumble at idle. Does cleaning this sound like it would help? How did yours run differently after you were done?
Yes, I sould help if that is the problem. Mine would sometimes stumble or run rough. What forced me to clean it is that is was starting to stall. Once I cleaned it, smooth idle and no stalling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billabong266 View Post
This write up is great. How often should i clean my throttle body and IAC? I have 33,000 miles on my jeep now and it has never been done. Do you think it would be dirty enough to clean at 33,000 or should i wait longer?
Mine was 65k to 70k since I got my jeep and this was the first time I did this. I would guess every 20k-30 would be fine as just preventative maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbr View Post
Good post. I'd add to be careful with the IAC housing gasket unless you are making one or have a spare (they are a pain to fabricate from gasket stock). It cracks easily.

Also to have a VERY clean surface on which to work.

Lastly, USE EYE PROTECTION. Throttle body cleaner is some nasty crap to get in your eyes.
yes, you need it to be clean and make sure nothing falls inside your upper intake. I used Hi-Temp RTV for my gasket

Unread 10-27-2010, 11:42 PM   #17
NCUNLIMITED
2005 LJ Wrangler 

fishinjeeper you are my hero!!!!!!! I have asked how to cleasn the IAC and Throttle body twice and all i have gotten was the picture of where it was not what to do. Thank you soooo much for the write up I know what I am doing on my next day off. Thanks again
NCUNLIMITED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2010, 02:37 PM   #18
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Unread 10-29-2010, 03:07 PM   #19
WillysEdition04
2008 JK Wrangler 

Instead of using zipties to hold the TB open, you can unscrew the butterfly and slide it out from the shaft. Makes cleaning that area much easier. You can pull the shaft and inspect the bearings too if you wish.

ChevTac Firearms, LLC
"Like" us on Facebook: facebook.com/ChevTec
WillysEdition04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2010, 11:08 PM   #20
NCUNLIMITED
2005 LJ Wrangler 

One more question, I am not going to be able to go anywhere today, kid is sick and wife is working, and I was going to do this today since I am stuck at home. Is there something I can use to clean them that is around my house?
Unread 11-01-2010, 08:09 AM   #21
NCUNLIMITED
2005 LJ Wrangler 

bump for any suggestions
Unread 11-01-2010, 11:01 AM   #22
Shakey
2005 LJ Wrangler 

It's recommended to use only throttle body cleaner because it will not damage the sensors.

If you have no problem potentially replacing about $150 in sensors, then go ahead and use simple green. The large can of throttle body cleaner was $5.

I cleaned mine this weekend because I was having a low idle problem. I'm right at 70,000 and the lower half was caked in black grime. After cleaning it with throttle body cleaner and q-tips, I blew it out with my air compressor and let it sit for about 30 minutes to make sure there was no cleaning fluid left in it. It fixed my low idle problem and things are running much more smoothly. However, the IAC on my 2005 looks nothing like the pictures posted earlier in this thread.
Shakey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2010, 11:14 AM   #23
NCUNLIMITED
2005 LJ Wrangler 

OK, I did find a full can of carb cleaner in my garage, it says it can be used on the TB, so you reccomend me using it? Also what did your IAC look like on your 05? That is what I have
Unread 11-01-2010, 12:13 PM   #24
Shakey
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCUNLIMITED View Post
OK, I did find a full can of carb cleaner in my garage, it says it can be used on the TB, so you reccomend me using it?
I'm no mechanic, I can't recommend anything. But I do know that these days they sell carb cleaner and throttle body cleaner. I have no idea what the difference is, but the ingredients are listed on the cans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCUNLIMITED View Post
Also what did your IAC look like on your 05? That is what I have
I didn't take a picture, and can't find one online, sorry.
Shakey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2010, 01:33 PM   #25
NCUNLIMITED
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey View Post
I'm no mechanic, I can't recommend anything. But I do know that these days they sell carb cleaner and throttle body cleaner. I have no idea what the difference is, but the ingredients are listed on the cans.

I didn't take a picture, and can't find one online, sorry.
The can says Air Intake Cleaner and that it is O2 sensor safe, so I am assuming that it would be ok?
Unread 11-01-2010, 02:35 PM   #26
amike_321
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I use throttle body cleaner that says that it is for fuel injected vehicles. I know some of the carb cleaners out there will soften plastic.
amike_321 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2010, 02:37 PM   #27
BomberJeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Great write up. I have a long list of maintenance to perform on my Jeep when I return from deployment. Thanks OP
Unread 11-01-2010, 03:28 PM   #28
NCUNLIMITED
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Can anyone tell me how to remove the IAC on an 05 LJ? I checked my TB and it is shiny and clean don't need to clean that, but want to chcek the IAC now. Thanks
Unread 11-02-2010, 11:31 PM   #29
gaTJgal

You are a zip tie genius! I didn't even think to take off the IAC housing a while back when I cleaned the throttle body on my jeep for the first time. Great writeup.
Unread 11-03-2010, 08:13 AM   #30
jojo56
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Carb Cleaner vs Throttle Body

Carb cleaner is not throttle-body cleaner. Some manufacturers use a coating on the throttle-body to enhance airflow {some Ford products} and spray cleaners that don't mention this aspect specifically will remove it. CRC throttle-body cleaner is good and will not pose a problem in this respect if you happen to use it on other vehicles. I don't believe that Jeep has a coated throttle-body but someone please correct me if it does. If your throttle-body butterfly looks nice and shiny on the outside, be sure to flip it open and look at the back, they all eventually get dirty. I've never seen one clean on both sides unless it was just cleaned. CRC Industries Automotive Product Detail
I might mention that CRC also makes a MAF cleaner which is a bit pricey, but their electronic cleaner is the same stuff and considerable less expensive. Walmart may have some of their products but I know that Oreilly's carries most of them. Also, this is my first post 'cause I just bought a 05 unlimited!
jojo56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4.0 , cleaning iac , i6 , throttle body

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.