Cleaning IAC and Throttle body write up (for dummies) - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cleaning IAC and Throttle body write up (for dummies)

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 04-25-2013, 01:45 AM   #211
SKINUM
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by atty
Skinum,

Sounds exactly like my original problem. I cleaned the throttle body along with the pintel on the IAC, which temporarily cured the problem, but returned within a 100 miles. A new IAC did the trick.

I'm sorry, that today, a large part of troubleshooting is tossing logic out of the window, and start grabbing for new parts. For the record, I also tried a new TPS with no change, so I knew it had to be the IAC. Even though, I had cleaned the old one and got an immediate correction, "logic" told me the original one was bad. So far, I was right, and that was about 10K miles ago.
Cleaned the IAC & changed the o2 sensors to NGK's. Reset the PCM but it still seems to idle a little odd when in park or sitting still. The rpms only vary slightly but I can hear the engine idle change more then the rpm needle moves. The engine will miss once on occasion & then everything seems good again. On initial crank the rpm's are jumping to about 1250 now & settles as soon as I go into gear.

I'm hoping that the computer just needs to adjust to the o2 sensors & a clean IAC.

SKINUM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #212
Aristotle113
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINUM

Cleaned the IAC & changed the o2 sensors to NGK's. Reset the PCM but it still seems to idle a little odd when in park or sitting still. The rpms only vary slightly but I can hear the engine idle change more then the rpm needle moves. The engine will miss once on occasion & then everything seems good again. On initial crank the rpm's are jumping to about 1250 now & settles as soon as I go into gear.

I'm hoping that the computer just needs to adjust to the o2 sensors & a clean IAC.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that's similar to what mine was doing and my computer had to be replaced.
Aristotle113 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 12:42 PM   #213
SKINUM
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristotle113

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that's similar to what mine was doing and my computer had to be replaced.
I hope not but it seems like every other day I am replacing a sensor.
SKINUM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2013, 11:25 AM   #214
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just removed the air box stuff in order to check my CPS sensor. After removing that i thought of the throttle body and whether I should clean it or not.

What's your guy's thoughts on this? Seems like people are having issues after cleaning them? Can it be cleaned with it still being bolted to the jeep?

Here is some pictures of the throttle body, 97TJ with 215,000 KM's on it.

--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
esad_b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #215
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esad_b View Post
Just removed the air box stuff in order to check my CPS sensor. After removing that i thought of the throttle body and whether I should clean it or not.

What's your guy's thoughts on this? Seems like people are having issues after cleaning them? Can it be cleaned with it still being bolted to the jeep?

Holy cow, is there even a air filter installed? THat needs to be removed and cleaned for sure.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2013, 12:17 PM   #216
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ

Holy cow, is there even a air filter installed? THat needs to be removed and cleaned for sure.
Lmao! On the way to the parts store to get throttle cleaner as we speak

Sent from the I-device using an APP
--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
Unread 04-27-2013, 12:23 PM   #217
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Lmao! On the way to the parts store to get throttle cleaner as we speak

I would take it off to clean it. I would not want to wash all that crap down inside the intake.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2013, 03:20 PM   #218
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ

I would take it off to clean it. I would not want to wash all that crap down inside the intake.
Yea good call man! Deff going to tomorrow.

My Progress Page
Unread 04-27-2013, 08:08 PM   #219
FarmerinVA

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Geez, was a pigeon nesting in your air box?

I'm only half joking. I had similar results and I found a chipmunk nest in mine.

Needless to say, I responded with my least expensive and most effective mod ever.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ex...hafts-1234745/
FarmerinVA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #220
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

LOL! Well took cleaned the throttle body today, along with the IAC. The IAC was really dirty looking forward to see how the Jeep runs now just have to wait until the CKP sensor shows up..

My Progress Page
Unread 06-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #221
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

did you have a squirrel living under your hood?
Unread 06-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #222
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinjeeper View Post
did you have a squirrel living under your hood?
Nah it was a moose, since I'm in Canada.

But the Jeep purs now, this made a huge difference.
My Progress Page
Unread 09-12-2013, 04:12 AM   #223
vrsoft
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I did this on my '93 YJ this evening. Took me a couple of hours to finish (5min to pull the throttle off and 1hr 55m to clean).

I didn't snap a before picture, but I recently discovered that my rear valve cover CCV hose was 100% clogged... which is why I was getting oil in my air filter, and which is also why my throttle was ENTIRELY coated in a thick, baked, black film. Every crevice and surface... it was all coated.

About 30 q-tips, 2 large rags, half a can of Seafoam Deep Creep, a couple of very sore fingers, and everything cleaned up nicely.

I have one piece of advice. Since I had never done this before, I wasn't sure what to look for. I noticed that the pintle area of the IAC (even after I thought I had cleaned it well enough) felt bumpy as I ran my finger around it. Since it's a hard smooth material, I thought it was kind of odd. When I was nearly done with the entire cleanup on the throttle, I checked the IAC again... and I'm glad I did, because it had a layer of caked black crap on it that I couldn't see very well. Most of it came off with my initial clean, but not all. I got a paper towel and used my finger nail to scrape the grud off, and now the pintle area is perfectly smooth.

img_9614-2.jpg

img_9609.jpg

img_9612.jpg

I'm super happy with the result. Thank you for this great thread, and everyone who has offered follow-up advice along the way.
vrsoft is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 11:28 PM   #224
Ajcobosco
1998 TJ Wrangler 

IAC- is this like the mass air flow sensor?
Ajcobosco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 11:33 PM   #225
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajcobosco View Post
IAC- is this like the mass air flow sensor?
No, it's an air valve controlled by the PCM to maintain proper idle rpm...
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4.0 , cleaning iac , i6 , throttle body

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.