Cleaning IAC and Throttle body write up (for dummies) - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cleaning IAC and Throttle body write up (for dummies)

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 02-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #196
Tonellin
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Giving this a bump to thank fishinjeeper for the write up. The PO of my 06 LJ did absolutely zero maintenance, it had original spark plugs at 100,000 miles and the throttle body was BLACK as night. After replacing spark plugs I was still having idling issues and rough acceleration. Followed this write up and gave it a good cleaning and it runs beautifully

Tonellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #197
JeepingSwan
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Could someone help me understand if one of these sensors is my issue. I have a 98 se tj 145000 and it just started exhibiting bad behavior. It will start from cold, run 3-7 mins and cut off fully. It matters not if it's idling or driving. It will not restart for 1-3 hours. This process repeats continuously.

I'm going to use this write up and see what happens. I have to believe a sensor (or something else) is bad. I don't have access to a code reader. Check engine light comes on half the time when it stalls.

Without the error code, is there a visual way to inspect these sensors to determine their status? Any ideas would help. I'm sure just the cleaning will help as its never been done before, ever.

I have also had some backfiring when under heavy acceleration shifting from 2nd to 3rd for years, probably 7... Does seafoam help this. Thanks.
JeepingSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #198
DirtyDan_
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Most auto parts stores will read the codes for you for free. Failing that, assuming you have a smart phone, look on Amazon for a bluetooth code reader, can be had for $15 to 20
DirtyDan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 08:00 PM   #199
YellowJeepGuy94
2004 TJ Wrangler 

What do you have to use sellant on?
YellowJeepGuy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #200
JeepingSwan
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Wtf is sellant? Present participle of seller in French? Use a gasket on the base of the throttle body if you don't want to hear new noises coming from your hood.
JeepingSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #201
ssjxearo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Super write-up!
Very helpful pictures!
Helped this dummy out! Fixed rough idle and lazy acceleration. Seems to idle more quietly now.
My throttle body was so incredibly dirty that it took a whole can of cleaner and two soft bristle tooth brushes. An hour and half later of cleaning and all is well and better!
ssjxearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 05:35 PM   #202
supbuckeye
2007 JK Wrangler 

So Ive read every post in this thread...but its clear as mud about yes or jo on gaskets. Where can I get the gasket for TB and iac oring in case I need it? Napa, Oreilly, Advance, Jeep dealer?? Never used rtv sealer before so if there are gaskets would like to use those before I tear it apart.

Thanks! I hope to do this this weekend.
supbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #203
Aristotle113
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by supbuckeye
So Ive read every post in this thread...but its clear as mud about yes or jo on gaskets. Where can I get the gasket for TB and iac oring in case I need it? Napa, Oreilly, Advance, Jeep dealer?? Never used rtv sealer before so if there are gaskets would like to use those before I tear it apart.

Thanks! I hope to do this this weekend.
I think I went to AAP to pick up the material and then just cut it to fit. I'm not the most automotively inclined individual, so don't think it takes an expert hand to make your own gasket. I'd say 10 minutes, tops, and that's if you are being super careful.
Aristotle113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 06:24 AM   #204
wesboy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I got this Throttle Body Gasket from Morris

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/gasket-...3007543ab.html

But never had to use it.
I've had the Throttle Body off dozens of times.
The original Throttle Body gasket on my '97 is a 'plasticky' material and I always re-use it.

The IAC gasket is a lot smaller and more intricate but I carefully lay it aside and have always re-used that too.
Unread 04-12-2013, 06:32 AM   #205
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristotle113 View Post
I think I went to AAP to pick up the material and then just cut it to fit. I'm not the most automotively inclined individual, so don't think it takes an expert hand to make your own gasket. I'd say 10 minutes, tops, and that's if you are being super careful.
Yep, xacto knife and a ceral box has served me well for years.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 05:41 PM   #206
NewToJeepTJ03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I bought the Jeep two weeks ago. At the time, I needed to read instructions on how to use booster cables. I have never ever done any type of vehicle repair in my life -- I was always content to get fleeced by the dealerships and garages over every little fix that they said my vehicle needed. Recently, I caught VW lying to me about needing work done so I sold the stupid car -- I no longer wanted to deal with them. Now, I'm learning how to do things for myself and it feels GREAT! Yesterday, I took off the "IAC" and was surprised that it did not look at all like the pictures in my Haynes manual... So I figured my vehicle was perhaps unique. I put it back together. Today, I found this thread and realized I had taken off the TPS, not the IAC! So, I am proud to say that I took off the whole throttle body and cleaned it completely, as well as the IAC!

From not knowing what a throttle does or looks like to completely taking it apart and cleaning it all in two days!

Oh, and yes -- it runs again. I'm a girl...
NewToJeepTJ03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 07:01 PM   #207
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToJeepTJ03 View Post
Oh, and yes -- it runs again. I'm a girl...
Congratulations, throw that Haynes manual in the trash and get an Original Equipment Manufacture, Factory Service Manual. That's the best money you could spend for your Jeep.

Welcome to the forum...
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #208
SKINUM
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I replaced the TPS last year & cleaned the throttle body. As of today I have an idle issue while in park the rpm's pulsate from 750-1000. Almost died at one point.

The TPS was non OEM but I would think the IAC would be the problem in this situation. Correct? If so should I go OEM or any brand?
SKINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 05:19 AM   #209
wesboy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

When my TPS went bad, it was a constant high rpm - no pulsating.

I unplugged the TPS and rpm returned to normal.
Unread 04-18-2013, 10:57 PM   #210
atty

Skinum,

Sounds exactly like my original problem. I cleaned the throttle body along with the pintel on the IAC, which temporarily cured the problem, but returned within a 100 miles. A new IAC did the trick.

I'm sorry, that today, a large part of troubleshooting is tossing logic out of the window, and start grabbing for new parts. For the record, I also tried a new TPS with no change, so I knew it had to be the IAC. Even though, I had cleaned the old one and got an immediate correction, "logic" told me the original one was bad. So far, I was right, and that was about 10K miles ago.
atty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4.0 , cleaning iac , i6 , throttle body

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.