Cleaning IAC and Throttle body write up (for dummies) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cleaning IAC and Throttle body write up (for dummies)

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 10-13-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Cleaning IAC and Throttle body write up (for dummies)

Here was my problem. My jeep would occasionally cut out while driving. At times it would not start for about ten minutes. So looking things up I figured I would replace my IAC, TPS, and MAP sensors. Turns out my IAC just needed to be cleaned. so there it goes.

This is your Throttle body. First you will need to disconnect your Air Intake Hose which is held together by a hose clamp (straight head screw driver).

[Edit by Jerry Bransford: It is not required to remove the throttle body in order to remove and clean the IAC (Idle Air Controller).]

Then there are four bolts, which are 10 MM, you will need to remove those.

After you remove those four bolts, disconnect your TPS, MAP, IAC, and throttle cables.

After you disconnect those, your throttle body will come off. Take your throttle body cleaner and clean as much of the gunk off as possible. Use a cloth rag and tooth brush. sorry, could not get a in action picture. I also used zip ties to hold open the throttle body.

Then take off your IAC Sensor, not housing. Clean it with your throttle body cleaner, this is what it will look like after. Before and after pictures

Then take off the IAC housing and both sides (house and throttle body). clean that too. before and after...

After that, take off your MAP, the only thing to clean is the beather hose.

with new gaskets, or silicon, reverse the above and put back together

Unread 10-13-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
SpaceWrangler
Gnarly Adventurer

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Location: Where the Girls Dance Different With Familiar Grace
Bookmarked for future reference. Well done, sir.
Unread 10-13-2010, 04:09 PM   #3
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

thanks
Unread 10-13-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

o, and this only took about an hour and a half to do for someone that didnt know what they were doing
Unread 10-13-2010, 04:23 PM   #5
del_TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

nice write-up!
del_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2010, 07:41 PM   #6
Ryman12
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Very good job. When first starting out I think the hardest things to do were the simple jobs, just because everyone assumed that you knew how to do them already!
Ryman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2010, 09:37 PM   #7
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

exactly
Unread 10-15-2010, 11:42 AM   #8
billabong266
2005 TJ Wrangler 

This write up is great. How often should i clean my throttle body and IAC? I have 33,000 miles on my jeep now and it has never been done. Do you think it would be dirty enough to clean at 33,000 or should i wait longer?
billabong266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2010, 12:38 PM   #9
keithert
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I sometimes get a stumble at idle. Does cleaning this sound like it would help? How did yours run differently after you were done?
Unread 10-15-2010, 08:32 PM   #10
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have been putting this off for weeks. Who knew it was just that easy.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2010, 04:33 PM   #11
Voltekker
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I need to do this
Voltekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2010, 07:30 AM   #12
keithert
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I wiped down the mouth of the throttle opening. There was a light greasy buildup there. I then used Seafoam's intake cleaner that you spray into the intake while the engine is running for 3 minutes. My gas mileage does seem to be up by 1 or 2 mpg. I religiously track my gas mileage so I would know if it was getting better. My question is why does having a little buildup of gunk in the intake affect the gas mileage?
Unread 10-19-2010, 07:35 AM   #13
SilverBullit22
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Great write-up! I was having some idle issues earlier this spring and after cleaning out the throttle body and sensor I was good to go. I remember the throttle body being a huge PITA to keep open during cleaning, so I'll for sure have to use the zip tie method next time! Thanks again for the write-up!
Silver Jeep Club Member #59
SilverBullit22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2010, 09:41 AM   #14
jforse
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Great post!
jforse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2010, 09:51 AM   #15
scottbr
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Good post. I'd add to be careful with the IAC housing gasket unless you are making one or have a spare (they are a pain to fabricate from gasket stock). It cracks easily.

Also to have a VERY clean surface on which to work.

Lastly, USE EYE PROTECTION. Throttle body cleaner is some nasty crap to get in your eyes.
scottbr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4.0 , cleaning iac , i6 , throttle body

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.