Clayton's long arm and 5" stretch or the double triangulated with the stretch? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Clayton's long arm and 5" stretch or the double triangulated with the stretch?

RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 08-13-2009, 08:12 PM   #1
Haz-Mat
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Clayton's long arm and 5" stretch or the double triangulated with the stretch?

Hello everyone. I am in need of some of your advice.
In the next week or so, I am going to upgrade my TJ's lift to a Clayton long arm kit with the 5" stretch or the double triangulated long arm with the stretch.

What is a better kit? I will drive my jeep on the road from trails to wheeling areas. Does the double triangulated create a more stable ride?

Would it be a good to put a Currie anti-rock on the back end? I have one on the front end and really like it.

I will also be putting Blue torch flat front fenders, comp-cut corners and the comp rock rails.

With adding all this weight, I am going to go with my current 4.5" RE springs with a JKS 1"body lift and a 1" motor mount lift. I have 5.5 inch RE springs, but dont want to get to tall.

If you all could give me some constructive advice, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Haz

Haz-Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2009, 08:23 PM   #2
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

will you go to Moab, or Johnson Valley?
Unread 08-13-2009, 08:51 PM   #3
Haz-Mat
1999 TJ Wrangler 

my goal is to get to MOAB.
JM
Unread 08-13-2009, 08:54 PM   #4
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

when you start talking about double tri Vs single tri. The advantage is how the rear axles rotates when looking down from above.
With double tri it doesn't, with single there is a little, with stock there is a ton.

Either of the LA systems from Clayton are excelent quality and will do everything 99% of Jeepers ask.

What tire are you going to after you stretch?
Unread 08-13-2009, 09:04 PM   #5
Haz-Mat
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Going to stay with 35" for now, may go to 36" at some point.
HM
Unread 08-13-2009, 09:07 PM   #6
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have to ask, why stretch then? you'll loose break over. In WE Rock we're required to run a 35 and limited to a 3" stretch. It works pretty good. WB should stay proportional to tire size.
Unread 08-13-2009, 09:08 PM   #7
atxzj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I personally would run the double triangulated system. I've thought about buying one for Jenn's LJ. I am currently converting my TJ to double triangulated and play in big rocks like JV and Moab.

There are some occasions where the double lowers can get hung up and raise the axle ETC. I'll take that over bashing the lower mounts/arms on ledges. You really need a HP rear axle before you have to worry about lift as the driveshat usually lifts first.

This decision will become more critical with lower lifts.

Here's a link to one of wheelin buddies who converted his STD clayton kit to triangulated.

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=424809
Unread 08-13-2009, 09:10 PM   #8
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxzj View Post
I personally would run the double triangulated system. I've thought about buying one for Jenn's LJ. I am currently converting my TJ to double triangulated and play in big rocks like JV and Moab.

There are some occasions where the double lowers can get hung up and raise the axle ETC. I'll take that over bashing the lower mounts/arms on ledges. You really need a HP rear axle before you have to worry about lift as the driveshat usually lifts first.

This decision will become more critical with lower lifts.

Here's a link to one of wheelin buddies who converted his STD clayton kit to triangulated.

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=424809
being in AZ I agree with DT. Were "back east" we don't need it.
Unread 08-13-2009, 10:05 PM   #9
atxzj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
I have to ask, why stretch then? you'll loose break over. In WE Rock we're required to run a 35 and limited to a 3" stretch. It works pretty good. WB should stay proportional to tire size.

Agree. Tire size should be proportionate to wb and CG. BO is at times overrated. As you know, WE-ROCK Unlimited class buggies drag their bellies all day long and do just fine.

I ran 35s on 100" WB with my TJ for two years. IMHO, it was the perfect combination for 35s. Jenn's LJ is 103 and tends to drag a bit more, but it's still too short for 37s.

94-95" WB is far too short for big climbs on 35s unless you are keeping it to 2" lift.
Unread 08-14-2009, 04:31 AM   #10
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxzj View Post
94-95" WB is far too short for big climbs on 35s unless you are keeping it to 2" lift.
there are 20 or so ModStocks that would disagree with you. Look at the Sammy's at 90" on 31's they do well.
Unread 08-14-2009, 06:17 AM   #11
Haz-Mat
1999 TJ Wrangler 

So, With 35's and my setup is the double triangulated the way to go or the standard?
JM
Unread 08-14-2009, 06:22 AM   #12
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I vote double tri...

Then again, I just have a SA!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2009, 06:24 AM   #13
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz-Mat View Post
So, With 35's and my setup is the double triangulated the way to go or the standard?
JM
you'll get differing opinion....

I don't see a need for DT unless your doing crazy climbs where rear steer could become an issue. ST will perform just fine.
I don't see a reason to go more than a 95" WB.....but that's what I'm used to running.....
Unread 08-14-2009, 06:25 AM   #14
V-8unlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Hmm, you are only 2 hours away, if you need any help with this project, let me know, while I'm there, maybe we can get bored and add a couple of cylinders under the hood.
V-8unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2009, 07:44 PM   #15
atxzj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
you'll get differing opinion....

I don't see a reason to go more than a 95" WB.....but that's what I'm used to running.....
Having run multiple WB combinations on 35s, 100" seems to be about perfect. If you have an opportunity to stretch it, do so. You won't regret it.

I'm stretching mine to 110-112 WB and running 42s or 43s depending on what tire I go with.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.