I just installed the Clayton Off Road Manufacturing TJ Main Skid Plate. I have a Clayton long arm front and triangulated 4 link rear. The install was fairly straight forward. This is a two piece skid plate made up of a transfer case cradle and the skid itself. The skid bolts to the cradle. A 1.5" of clearance is advertised.
It was shipped bare steel. This skid plate is a monster at 70 lbs (per the UPS label). I did not weigh it. It is 1/4" steel.
First I cleaned it, I sanded it, cleaned it again, and coated it with some self etching primer (Duplicolor). Then I painted it semi-gloss black (Duplicolor).
Here is the TC cradle
The Skid and the cradle with primer
After two days of primer and paint, I removed the OEM skid. The OEM skid was cut to make room for the frame side lower control arm brackets. These brackets hold both the upper triangulated arms and the lower arms. The Clayton skid (as one could assume) was fabbed to give these brackets room.
I got the cradle installed. It wasn't until later when I tried to install the skid that I realized that there was enough room in the bolt holes to move the cradle laterally which later impacted the fitment of the skid. I had to unbolt, etc...and locate the cradle to allow the skid to fit. There is no mention of this in the instructions. If you do it, just mount the cradle, then test mount the skid, then tighten the cradle and prepare to install the skid!
The Clayton site says a 1" BL is required for Rubicons. I do not have a Rubicon. I do have a Daystar 1" BL that came with a TC drop bracket. I did have to remove the bracket after installing the Clayton Cradle. I had to use a floor jack to lift up the drivetrain w/ cradle and bolt it on.
After the cradle was installed came the bear of lifting the skid by myself. Of course it did not fit right the first time because the bolt holes did not line up as previously stated. Blah, blah, blah, On it went. This thing is heavy enough that if paint is an issue for you, find a friend!
Final thoughts if I had it to over again. I would have painted the cradle and then mounted it. I would have then checked the fit of the skid and made adjustments. Then painted the skid. I chewed off a lot of the paint I spent two days painstakingly laying to get an even look.
So far I have only driven about 5 miles with the new skid. No vibrations or noticed problems.
It looks clean, when I get to wheel with this summer I will post an update if there are problems. Unfortunately, in my haste didn't I do any exact measurements on my clearance gains. I think I gained about one inch.