Clanking Driveshaft "ring" - Dana 35 + NP231 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Clanking Driveshaft "ring" - Dana 35 + NP231

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 08-02-2008, 10:29 AM   #1
Panici
(O|||||||O)

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Fixing output shaft damper weight

Hey guys.
I was driving home, and was about a minute away, when I get this massive vibration through the entire jeep and the drivetrain. I was doing about 30mph, so I pull over on a side street, and take a peek undernieth, but I can't see anything wrong, so I decide to drive the rest of the way home slowly.

On the way, I hear what sounds like glass bottles clanking around undernieth.
So I get home and put the jeep up on jackstands, and put it in gear. Right away I see the problem on the rotating driveshaft.

This "ring" was down by the D35 yoke.

What is this thing? How did it get dislodged and how do I fix it?

I'm assuming that it was from here, but it looks like it needs some sort of spacer between itself and the T-case output to fit.

Edit: Sorry for the massive pics, I just resized them.

590nm Jeep TJ Build+Life

Last edited by Panici; 08-02-2008 at 12:03 PM..
Panici is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2008, 11:00 AM   #2
raskull
2003 TJ Wrangler 

That's the output shaft damper weight. That's supposed to be on the t-case on the output shaft.. It's just pressed on, and you should be able to just hammer it back on. You need to be careful to make sure you're putting it back on straight though.

edit: I can't really tell you why it would come loose.. never seen that!

Raskull - Metallic Silver '03 Jeep TJ Sport (pic)
http://myjeeptj.com <- Write-ups on mods/maintenance/trips and a video/image gallery
Custom front bumper build
Custom rockers build
My build thread
raskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2008, 11:48 AM   #3
Panici
(O|||||||O)

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hammer it back onto where? It just sits loosely on the silver ring of the T-case output shaft right now.

590nm Jeep TJ Build+Life
Unread 08-02-2008, 12:16 PM   #4
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thats your harmonic balancer for your NP231 (not all of them have it). They come loose rather often and are a source of a lot of "wierd" noises. I have seen it happen on a couple Jeeps. You should be able to press it back on. Looks like you lost the rubber gasket that holds it together between the metal surfaces though. (without the rubber gasket you will not be able to "hammer it back" in since that piece holds it together) You should be able to run with out the larger ring, I would just drop the shaft and take it off. When you put an SYE kit on you have to remove the balancer all together. If your looking at doing a lift down the road and have some money to spend you could just do an SYE kit now.

EDIT
I might have my old one you can have if you want to pay for shipping. I can check tommorrow, i'm at work today.
Benderff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2008, 12:22 PM   #5
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

why do some jeeps have them and most dont?

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2008, 12:49 PM   #6
Panici
(O|||||||O)

2004 TJ Wrangler 

FYI my FSM says only the 4.0+NV3550+NP231 combo has the balancer.

Does anyone have a P/N for that rubber gasket? If not, i'll take you up on your offer Benderff if you still have yours.

590nm Jeep TJ Build+Life

Last edited by Panici; 08-02-2008 at 01:02 PM..
Unread 08-02-2008, 01:09 PM   #7
Jeepguy1977
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panici View Post

I believe that's a harmonic balancer.

But I can't be the only one that noticed the missing piece of universal joint guys. Look closely at that pic. It really looks like one piece of the u-joint is gone.
Rolled Red Jeep Club Member #7
Jeepguy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2008, 01:30 PM   #8
Panici
(O|||||||O)

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The Jeep is my DD, so i'm going to try and get a P/N from the stealership for the gasket.

If you guys have a P/N, feel free to chime in.

Also i'm assuming I have to take off the rear driveshaft to get the gasket on. What's the easiest way to get the driveshaft off? I've never taken a driveshaft off before, so step-by-step instructions would be great!

590nm Jeep TJ Build+Life

Last edited by Panici; 08-02-2008 at 01:44 PM..
Unread 08-02-2008, 03:08 PM   #9
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'm pretty sure I have it still! I have the NSG360 and my NP231 had the balancer. The drive shaft is easy. Just unbolt the caps on the other end of the shaft by your axle. You should drain the fluid in your transfer case since you will have to pull the other end out from the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panici View Post
FYI my FSM says only the 4.0+NV3550+NP231 combo has the balancer.

Does anyone have a P/N for that rubber gasket? If not, i'll take you up on your offer Benderff if you still have yours.
Benderff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2008, 05:47 PM   #10
Deezul
2004 TJ Wrangler 

driveshaft looks..umm not whole. Looks like you might need more than a gasket unless its just the angle of the pic
2004 Khaki Rubicon. Jeeperman Custom Brushguard and 54" bumper, Kilby steering skid, Skidrow radiator skid, SRC Rockcrawler rocker guards, UFW Al Engine Skid, OME Shocks, JKS Quicker Discos, AEM Dryflo intake;KC Slimlight 130W Long range lights, ORO LiteDots and LitePlate, Banks Stainless Monster cat-back, Eclipse stereo, BA Speakers, Jeeperman Handles, Cobra CB, interior leds... more to come.

**R.I.P NOW TOTALED** 98TJ Sport, 30x9.5 BFG ATKO's on AR Outlaw II's, K&N FIPK, Borla Catback,
Green jeep club member #139
Deezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2008, 06:30 PM   #11
Panici
(O|||||||O)

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
I'm pretty sure I have it still! I have the NSG360 and my NP231 had the balancer. The drive shaft is easy. Just unbolt the caps on the other end of the shaft by your axle. You should drain the fluid in your transfer case since you will have to pull the other end out from the case.
Can I jack up the rear end real high to avoid draining the fluid? I just put in RP synthetic, and I had to order it from the states at a high border cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezul View Post
driveshaft looks..umm not whole. Looks like you might need more than a gasket unless its just the angle of the pic
Shaft looks fine to me, I think it's just the angle.

590nm Jeep TJ Build+Life
Unread 08-02-2008, 08:46 PM   #12
Red04X
2004 TJ Wrangler 

No need to drain the t/c as the output shaft has the seal. The d/s slips onto the output shaft. I drove around for two weeks without the rear d/s installed... no leaking.
Red04X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2008, 09:43 PM   #13
Panici
(O|||||||O)

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red04X View Post
No need to drain the t/c as the output shaft has the seal. The d/s slips onto the output shaft. I drove around for two weeks without the rear d/s installed... no leaking.
Yeah i was looking at some pictures, and that's what I gathered too.
So once you take off the driveshaft at the rear diff, it just slides off the output shaft splines and you can drive around in 4wd with no problems?

590nm Jeep TJ Build+Life
Unread 08-02-2008, 10:56 PM   #14
Red04X
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yup. That will work.
Red04X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2008, 04:38 AM   #15
Jeepguy1977
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezul View Post
Looked to me like the joint might be missing but it must just be the angle of the pic.
Rolled Red Jeep Club Member #7
Jeepguy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.