CJ tailgate swap, Anyone have a writeup????? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-16-2006, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Nickb1907

2000 TJ Wrangler 

CJ tailgate swap, Anyone have a writeup?????

Looking for a write-up for this...the CJ tailgate

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-16-2006, 08:44 PM
UCTJ

1997 TJ Wrangler 

There is one at www.texasjeepcorps.org one of the guys in the club did this swap on his YJ.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-16-2006, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Nickb1907

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCTJ
There is one at www.texasjeepcorps.org one of the guys in the club did this swap on his YJ.
if you could give me a direct link that would help, tried searching came up with nothin.

post #4 of 12 Old 03-16-2006, 09:02 PM
UCTJ

1997 TJ Wrangler 

YJ to CJ tail gate install

First of all I have a '93 YJ and I was rear ended in a parking lot at Home Depot and that is where the idea first came about. I got the
idea from always wishing my stock tailgate was like a truck. And my buddy offered me a CJ7 tailgate to replace the one that was damaged.

When you get your new tailgate there are several things you will want to try to make sure that you have (will make life easier later on).

1. the turn latches
2. cables and bolts along with spring washers (trust me when you see them you will know what I am talking about)
3. hinges, (make note of which way is top and bottom, will help with lining them up in the future)

First thing to do is to remove the stock tailgate. There are the 4 bolts that mount to the Passenger side of the tub. If you have
problems with the bolts not turning or the torx heads being damaged, take a 3/8th drill bit and drill of the head of the bolt and once
the hinges are removed you can then take the entire tailgate assembly off. Now to the bracketry for the tailgate.( since this is actually
in the tub you can leave this if you wish. There are a few bolts inside the Bed area of the Jeep and there is the bracket on top of the
fender. Of course now there is also the latching mechanism on the driver side now to deal with, it is pretty self explanatory. There are
several small torx screws to be removed and then there you go. One tailgate less YJ. Now to line up the new tailgate, you do have one right.

Once you have it set into place mark where to drill for your hinge bolts

Now as you can tell in when I did the install I had a 3in body lift and I still had to remove the last 2 sets of body mounting bolts and
lift up on the rear of the Jeep to reach in and get the new bolts through.
I considered putting the bolts in the same directions as the OEM bolts but it was hard enough getting the bolts and washer through the hole
and get the washers lock washers and nuts on the bolts. I use the largest washers I could get at Lowe's (don't like Home Depot any more)
In order to insure that there will not be any pull through. Also, make sure you put the rounded side of the washer against the tub or the
sharp edge will cut a hole in the tub in later on in the future.

Now to discuss mounting of the cables, here is what I did. I picked this location because it allows for the cable to have plenty of sag
room and put the tailgate level when let down all the way.
For latching, I was not able to find any stock CJ latching locations so I improvised. I took a small L bracket and then bent the end over to
allow secure latching

It was in the mod section on the second page towards the bottom....were you not able to get the actual www.texasjeepcorps.org page to open? Make sure you type .org not .com HTH.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-17-2006, 01:35 AM
orangetj05

2005 TJ Wrangler 

heres the link to it with pictures http://www.texasjeepcorps.org/module...rder=0&thold=0

2005 TJ 5.7 HEMI, Caged, Locked, Long armed, Stretched, Air shocked, Cromoed, Running 37 Irocks
post #6 of 12 Old 03-17-2006, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Nickb1907

2000 TJ Wrangler 

wasnt familiar with the website so didnt really know where to look. found it thanks

if there are anymore write ups that anyone know of please post links. A TJ writeup maybe
post #7 of 12 Old 03-17-2006, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Nickb1907

2000 TJ Wrangler 

i have also never owned a CJ, so how do they open up that tailgate? is there a handle somewhere? This mod might just only work with a softop.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-17-2006, 09:51 PM
iismet

I am just completing this mod. Quadratec will get you a long way there.

22504 91 TAILGATE PIVOT LATCH ASSY 76-86 CJ 30666 69.99

Chrysler could come up with little.

You still need hinges, gasket, (Quadratec or Chrysler) and some fabrication. I built nut plates larger than the hinge flange for attaching the hinges to the lower panel on the tub. I dropped the gas tank and used a hole saw just bigger than the nut plate height and chopped an access hole in the inside lower cavity wall. This allowed us to slide the nut plates into the cavity to attach the hinges.

I looked at alot of pictures of CJ's for the attachment of the cables to the tub. The rear wells have morphed over the years. I tried to go to the fender well but the angle of the cables was not steep enough to adeqately put the hinge tub bolts in shear when a load was put on the gate. The tub took too much load and flexed inward.

To correct this we modified the stock TJ gate closure bracket bolted to the drivers side fender well. I removed the closure pin and had a nut welded on the back of the bracket then reinstalled the bracket in the factory location. I purchased another bracket from Chrysler and hacked it up to match the location of the driver side relative to the taligate. We built nut plates for that bracket and installed them thru the tail light hole in the tub.

In the pictures below notice the small steel blocks attached to the tub walls above the brackets. This is what the latch, latches against and do not come from Q. These would be best if done in stainless.

Paint, decals, and stainless latch blocks left to go.

post #9 of 12 Old 03-17-2006, 10:23 PM
NakedJeeper

1998 TJ Wrangler 

More:

http://www.jeepshots.com/tech/tailgate.html
http://www.inajeep.com/cjbuildup/mybuildup8.php

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-18-2006, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Nickb1907

2000 TJ Wrangler 

wow these help alot, thanks
post #11 of 12 Old 03-11-2007, 07:48 PM
Erik T.
Pew Pew Vroom Vroom!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Pity a hardtop doesn't work, and a soft top is such a pain in the arse.

Maybe one day someone will start fabbing a drop down tailgate that will work with TJ tops. I'd buy one.

Atla.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- For those in the Trenches of Responsibility
Humorous, Witty, Slightly Obnoxious - Political and Social Commentary in a World Gone Mad.
New Post 10/16 -

post #12 of 12 Old 03-11-2007, 07:49 PM
Erik T.
Pew Pew Vroom Vroom!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Aw ****.

Had to threads open on this and posted in the wrong one.

Enjoy the bump.

Atla.

- For those in the Trenches of Responsibility
Humorous, Witty, Slightly Obnoxious - Political and Social Commentary in a World Gone Mad.
New Post 10/16 -

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.