Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 99 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 01-14-2011, 01:13 PM   #1471
Tomsatx

Subscribed! Thanks to all that have put this thread together. Its sad that Chrysler does not resolve the issues related to their own design or production mistakes. Before purchasing my TJ in 09, I owned a Dodge Challenger SE. Overall, a decent car, but what me was the silver paint had "striping" on the exterior except the bumpers. Didnt notice this until a couple weeks later, then I could not believe I didnt see it. Took it to the nearest dealer to show the Chrysler rep. Turns out that they did not want to replace the car, but instead repaint and "blend" the piant with the areas that they considered to be non-faulty. I got screwed and went ahead and let them repaint the first areas, then got them to repaint again the remaining areas. After that, the bumpers started showing yellow spots on the paint. Here in Texas, there is what they call a Lemon Law which is if a car has a repeated problem at least 3 times, the seller will have to refund or exchange the car. I could have in turn done this, but a lawyer is needed and I opted to sell it. Luckily, Chrysler had slowed production of the Challenger and drove the demand. I actually bought the car for 22,500 and sold it for 23,000 cant say that is very common, but I lucked out and that was my way out of a bad deal.

I now currently own a 2006 TJ and will have to look further into this. Its been a pleasure to drive and versatile to my needs, I just hoped the baggage that Dodge had wouldn't spew over to Jeep, but they havent necessarily been a true jeep since the buy out of AMC. I will never own another jeep and actually was contemplating a tacoma. Yet another consumer switching to foreign. Last I heard 70% of fords were made in Mexico and 30% in the US. American cars have traded quality for quantity years ago and therefore need to regain the consumers trust by quality again, not just by saying they are an american product.

Tomsatx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2011, 01:38 PM   #1472
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Update:

I brought my Jeep to the dealership this morning for an open recall (Transmission Cup Plug Bracket), and to have the OPDA diagnosed. Just to remind everyone my Jeep had the E05 recall performed in December of 2005, but as we have come to learn this is a temporary fix at best. My Jeep currently has 27,900 miles and after speaking with a representative from Chrysler about the OPDA issue, I was told to take the Jeep in for a diagnosis. Pictures are being taken and if there is a problem I was told Chrysler would cover repair costs. As we know this really doesn't offer any solution because all the OPDAs used in 2005-2006 are defective. So replacing one unit with another won't solve anything. I was aware of this issue before purchasing my TJ but I got a great deal on it and couldn't pass on it. I love Jeep and no matter how many problems I've encountered in the past I will continue to drive them. It's just ashame that no one from Chrysler is taking this problem seriously or offering any competent solution. Because of this I will be doing the "Fog Mod" but currently there is a pretty long wait list for a replacement OPDA. Also there is no aftermarket support but hopefully someone can make a suitable replacement for the 2005-2006 TJ and LJ. I plan on keeping this TJ for many years so whatever I can do to make it last, I'm willing to take the necessary steps.

I will keep everyone posted as to what happens with my Jeep and Chrysler's response to the problem.
Unread 01-14-2011, 01:52 PM   #1473
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Do any of the mail order parts stores currently have the OPDA in stock? I thought twenty pages or so back they were available online.
Unread 01-14-2011, 02:46 PM   #1474
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithert View Post
Do any of the mail order parts stores currently have the OPDA in stock? I thought twenty pages or so back they were available online.
I've tried nearly every place I could think of and all are currently on backorder
Unread 01-17-2011, 10:10 PM   #1475
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

We pulled my buddies in his 06 LJ today. Its worn just like mine. His build date on his door is 10-05. His opdm part number is a rev-E
Heath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2011, 10:10 AM   #1476
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I called Mopar Wholesale today and asked about their stock of OPDA's. They said backorder until Feb 14 (at least).
Unread 01-18-2011, 10:15 AM   #1477
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Old Distributor/OPDA Comparison

I pulled my OPDA a while back (I just bought my jeep in August) after reading this thread and it looked pretty good. Some slight wear on the gear but nothing bad and shaft seemed to turn free. Chrysler must have installed a new gear per EO5. Here is my old gear and you can see it has two holes which I believe is the replacement gear for the EO5 service bulletin.

opda-018-cropped.jpg

I put the OPDA back in and went ahead and ordered a new one while they were in stock just in case. About 6 weeks later I went out one cold morning to start the jeep and immediately heard a chirping sound, thanks to this forum and especially this thread I popped the hood, felt the cover on the OPDA and knew that was my problem. Shut off the jeep and drove my truck to work and when I got home pulled the OPDA and the shaft was hard to turn so I put in the new OPDA (havent' modded it yet).
Here's the shaft, it had flaky black residue that I cleaned off. Probably old, dried, burnt grease.

opda-006.jpg

There was some similar residue inside the housing too.

opda-013.jpg

Awhile back, as a possible solution to these unit's failure, I bought an old distributor off ebay. I'm not even sure what it's off of. I think a late 80's to early 90's model 4.0L. I thought if these new units were of a poor design I might be able to interchange some of the parts from the old distributor or at least compare the two and try to determine what the defect is with the new ones. Basic design is identical. Here are several pics to compare, I'll list the old distributor pictures as "distributor" and the new units as "LDI" distributor, notice some slight gear wear but who knows how many miles it had

opda-002.jpg

Distributor shaft, had an even longer oil groove than the earlier TJ's. Notice how little wear at upper bushing

opda-007.jpg

To be continued
lope is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2011, 10:22 AM   #1478
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Old Distributor/OPDA Comparison Pt 2

Distributor close up of the oil groove
opda-008.jpg

Drive gear appears identical
LDI on the left Distributor on the right
opda-018.jpg

Except for the sensor housing in the LDI (right) and the wiring port in the distributor (left) the top of the housing is almost identical. Even the tabs for the cover screws are the same
opda-016.jpg

Distributor left
opda-021.jpg

The distributor had a tang for the hold down bolt, but the basic design of the housing is exactly the same
opda-019.jpg

To Be Continued
Unread 01-18-2011, 10:27 AM   #1479
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Old Distributor/OPDA Comparison Pt 3

The bushings are the same except the distributor doesn't have the oil seal at the bottom of the top bushing
Distributor
opda-014.jpg

LDI
opda-013.jpg

Don't know if this would be any factor, but I did notice the tip of shaft wear from the oil pump is broader on the distributor, seeming to indicate a tighter fit with the oil pump
Distributor on the left
opda-010.jpg
opda-011.jpg

In conclusion, the only differences I can see are the oil groove in the distributor, maybe a little more play in the shaft tip/oil pump with the LDI and the oil seal at the bottom of the top bushing in the LDI. But, obviously the old distributor wore much better than our LDI's do.

Sorry for the long post(s) and so many pics. Just thought you guys might find this info interesting and hopefully useful in some way.
Unread 01-18-2011, 11:14 AM   #1480
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for posting the comparison pics! It seems like both issues have been addressed with the modified OPDAs, I'm really hoping it takes care of the issues. I'd really like to keep my TJ for awhile.
Unread 01-18-2011, 07:06 PM   #1481
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Where did you get the non LDI distributor?

It looks like the oil groove runs high to force oil back down the shaft so it doesn't escape from the upper bushing. Is there any type of seal on top?
Unread 01-18-2011, 07:27 PM   #1482
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
Where did you get the non LDI distributor?

It looks like the oil groove runs high to force oil back down the shaft so it doesn't escape from the upper bushing. Is there any type of seal on top?
It's an old motorcraft distributor I bought off ebay. I think it's from the late 80's-early 90's. I was thinking the same thing about the long oil groove because no, there really was no upper seal.

I've been working on it this afternoon. Basically, I removed the oil seal at the top bushing of my OPDA and am using the shaft from the old distributor. I took some pics of my progress I'll post up soon. BTW, I need to resize my pictures so they aren't so big on the forum what is a good size? And I was wondering how did you make a post with more than 5 pictures? I could only upload 5 per post which is why I had to make my last one in three parts.
Unread 01-18-2011, 07:49 PM   #1483
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=lope;10810120 BTW, I need to resize my pictures so they aren't so big on the forum what is a good size? [/QUOTE]

Your pics are about 1300x1000. I usually try to keep mine 640x480ish, or keep the filesize under 100k. The limit may be to attaching pictures directly to the forum. If you post them on photobucket and then link using the [IMG] tag in your post there should be no limit on number.

Thanks for the pics.
Unread 01-18-2011, 08:33 PM   #1484
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

After comparing the old distributor and the OPDA I found the main differences to be:
1.Distributor had no oil seal below the top bushing
2.Distributor shaft had an oil groove reaching up to the top bushing

There was no real seal above the top bushing on either the distributor or the OPDA although there is a polyurethane bushing in the OPDA, right under the sensor wheel. I have to assume the oil groove in the distributor shaft keeps oil from leaking out the top because there was only a metal bushing that sat on the top bushing. No real seal at all.

I decided to remove the oil seal in the OPDA and use the shaft from the distributor. I thought about doing the Fog mod, but since I have all the parts I figured I may as well give it a shot. I'll probably do the Fog mod on my new OPDA (currently in my jeep) after I see if this one's going to work.

First I had to remove the sensor wheel from the OPDA shaft. It's only pressed on so I laid the wheel on top of a vise and drove the shaft out with a hammer and punch.
Here you see the wheel removed from the shaft. You can also see the distributor shaft is longer than the OPDA shaft
opda-023.jpg

Then I had to cut the distributor shaft to same length as OPDA shaft. It's hardened steel so using a friction wheel made it easy.
opda-026.jpg

I took the dist. shaft to the grinder and beveled the top edge to help get the sensor wheel driven on.
opda-027.jpg

I then put the poly bushing from the OPDA shaft onto the dist. shaft and used it as a depth gauge for the sensor wheel and drove the sensor wheel onto shaft down to the poly bushing.
opda-029.jpg
opda-030.jpg

All I have left is to put the roll pin in the gear and It's back together. If everything looks good I'll probably swap it for my new OPDA that's in my jeep tomorrow and give it a shot. My thinking is the upper bushing will get oil to it now and the oil groove (along with the poly bushing) will keep it from leaking into the top housing. I don't know if it will work but I figure the old distributors didn't have any problems like we're seeing with the OPDA's so why not give it a try.
I'll keep you posted.
Unread 01-18-2011, 08:37 PM   #1485
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithert View Post
Your pics are about 1300x1000. I usually try to keep mine 640x480ish, or keep the filesize under 100k. The limit may be to attaching pictures directly to the forum. If you post them on photobucket and then link using the [IMG] tag in your post there should be no limit on number.

Thanks for the pics.
Thanks for the info, I saw your post right after I made another one with pics. I think they were a little more than 640x480, but I at least did better than last time!

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.