Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 98 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 01-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #1456
kgginslc
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well, if they would even start selling the pre-modified part with grease port, that would be a substantial improvement. I'm not looking for it to happen though.

kgginslc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 06:54 PM   #1457
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The other aspect you have to consider with Chrysler not fixing the part is liability. If they come out with a revised part that differs significantly from the original one IE updates to improve the lubrication of the bushings they are in effect admitting that the previous designed part was defective.

Because of this "admission" of defect with the previous part they would then be liable for all the Jeeps that had failures related to this part such as camshaft and loss of oil pressure issues. This would apply both to future claims and retroactively to people who had to pay out of pocket due to OPDA failures.

This is type of issue is seen allot in the general aviation industry and has driven up prices as a result. A manufacture decides to add a new safety feature to tell you XYZ is about to happen. Well then a wife who's husband died because his plane didn't have the XYZ safety feature sues and a jury gives her big money.

The system is such that a manufacture like Chrysler/Jeep makes more money in the long run by denying there is a problem and just replacing the defect part with another of the same defective parts. They don't have to spend money on designed or tooling up for a new part. They don't risk exposing themselves to liability by making the new part. And best of all they keep their dealers happy making money by charging to install the same defective part over and over.

Sadly our system rewards crooks allot more than those who have integrity and do the right thing.

FOG
In memory of Samantha Sue 1998 to Dec-16-10 at 2:15PM. She may have had 4 legs and a tail but she was the best friend I ever had and helped me through some really tough times. I hope to see her again one day.
TheFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #1458
Moto4x4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Well damn i have the same build date.
Moto4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 07:12 PM   #1459
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto4x4 View Post
Well damn i have the same build date.
The build date thing in the Chrysler "notice" is the totally false. They tried to blame it on a bad batch of gears confined to those date codes but in all reality the gears are not the problem. The issue is the lack of lubrication to the upper bushing resulting in a large amount of friction on the shaft and the gear.

The truth with the date codes is if you have a 05 or 06 Jeep TJ or LJ then your Jeep have a defective designed OPDA part which will fail.

FOG
In memory of Samantha Sue 1998 to Dec-16-10 at 2:15PM. She may have had 4 legs and a tail but she was the best friend I ever had and helped me through some really tough times. I hope to see her again one day.
TheFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #1460
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I've already contacted a lawyer about the issue. A friend of my family, who I've explained the entire issue to will be present with me when the dealership pulls the OPDA and inspects it for wear. (My gear was already replaced under E05 in 2005). If there is indeed significant wear, he's agreed to put a case together for me. I'm not sure what this will accomplish but we're going for it.
ChaseB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2011, 01:39 PM   #1461
RockyMnt1

I am having issues with getting the tip of the grease gun off of the grease zerk. It will not come off without tools (prying using screw drivers). I took the zerk off and placed it in a vice and worked the grease gun tip on/off about 30 times (this also required tools) and it still does not come off the zerk at all easily. It slips right on the zerk without any excessive force at all. The grease gun is brand new. I am thinking a different tip is in order, but I was wondering if anyone elese has run into this issue.

Any suggestions?
RockyMnt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2011, 02:21 PM   #1462
usjeepers
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMnt1 View Post
I am having issues with getting the tip of the grease gun off of the grease zerk. It will not come off without tools (prying using screw drivers). I took the zerk off and placed it in a vice and worked the grease gun tip on/off about 30 times (this also required tools) and it still does not come off the zerk at all easily. It slips right on the zerk without any excessive force at all. The grease gun is brand new. I am thinking a different tip is in order, but I was wondering if anyone elese has run into this issue.

Any suggestions?
You should be able to turn the end of the grease fitting adapter (usually a two peice assembily) to loosen the grip it has on the zerk fitting.
Pat
usjeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2011, 07:42 PM   #1463
jeffjeep1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMnt1 View Post

Any suggestions?
I do agree that you can loosen the end of the grease coupler, but I went wih the "flush" grease fitting. Look at the lower picture in post# 1200, or for a better picture look at post #1202. Using aeroshell 33MS in a dedicated grease gun allows a dedicated fitting at the end of the hose for the flush fitting, with no effort removal, after greasing.
Heidi - Golden Retriever/Jeep Dog
jeffjeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2011, 06:34 PM   #1464
RockyMnt1

Thanks much for the grease gun tip tip. I never even noticed that it consisted of 2 pieces. Works fine now and even leaves the zerk fitting in the OPDA where it belongs!!!
RockyMnt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2011, 10:23 PM   #1465
05LongJeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

Brought mine into the dealer today because after my inspection the Gear is about 1/2 gone. Told me they could not confirm a problem, That I had 11 months of warantee for it to fail then they would fix. Then charged me $65 for inspection. This is the 8th & Last Chrysler product I will ever own! This is the second time they used the word normal for their lack of a conscience. I'm writing to Corporate next. The Service Mgr told me there was no issue with these OPDA's, yet couldn't explain the backorder. Hmmm? Toyota gave me a free motor for a truck with 90k on it. Jeep wont give me a hundred dollar part for a $100 deductable. Why my family has supported this company for 60+yrs I'll never know.
Unread 01-13-2011, 12:22 AM   #1466
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFog View Post
The build date thing in the Chrysler "notice" is the totally false. They tried to blame it on a bad batch of gears confined to those date codes but in all reality the gears are not the problem. The issue is the lack of lubrication to the upper bushing resulting in a large amount of friction on the shaft and the gear.

The truth with the date codes is if you have a 05 or 06 Jeep TJ or LJ then your Jeep have a defective designed OPDA part which will fail.

FOG
As the bushing and shaft wear at the top it allows the shaft to kick out of place as the cam spins the opdm gear. The cam can and does push the gears apart from each other, now that the shaft has lost it's double shear. The gears then ride against each other only on the outer edges the teeth causing major wear, and since the gears are no longer lined up correctly with each other, as the spin they chew the weird pattern in themselves. If Chrysler doesn't end of covering my repairs, I'll be taking my old cam and opdm to usforensics to get a full forensic mechanical analysis. I'll actually probably let them use my whole motor.
Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2011, 06:58 AM   #1467
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05LongJeep View Post
Brought mine into the dealer today because after my inspection the Gear is about 1/2 gone. Told me they could not confirm a problem, That I had 11 months of warantee for it to fail then they would fix. Then charged me $65 for inspection. This is the 8th & Last Chrysler product I will ever own! This is the second time they used the word normal for their lack of a conscience. I'm writing to Corporate next. The Service Mgr told me there was no issue with these OPDA's, yet couldn't explain the backorder. Hmmm? Toyota gave me a free motor for a truck with 90k on it. Jeep wont give me a hundred dollar part for a $100 deductable. Why my family has supported this company for 60+yrs I'll never know.
It's a shame because I love Jeep. But Chrysler has bastardized the name Jeep with their shoddy craftsmanship. I say we all file a class action lawsuit. It's not like there is a lack of evidence.
ChaseB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2011, 07:25 AM   #1468
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB View Post
It's a shame because I love Jeep. But Chrysler has bastardized the name Jeep with their shoddy craftsmanship. I say we all file a class action lawsuit. It's not like there is a lack of evidence.
I've never seen a forum where it wasn't against the rules to discuss creation of lawsuits.
Unread 01-14-2011, 10:00 AM   #1469
johnrv4

I'm going this route if I have any problems with mine : http://hesco.us/shop.asp?action=deta...025&catId=7936

Last edited by johnrv4; 01-14-2011 at 10:23 AM..
johnrv4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 11:01 AM   #1470
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrv4 View Post
I'm going this route if I have any problems with mine : http://hesco.us/shop.asp?action=deta...025&catId=7936
Not trying to bash them at all, but that has zero to do with anything relating to the problem. The problem is at the top of the opdm shaft.

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.