Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 94 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 12-26-2010, 09:58 AM   #1396
jeffjeep1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Dedicated grease gun

My version has:
1. Pistol grip to allow grease pump with one hand while supporting gun
2. Attached needle point, since I have the flush grease fitting in the OPDA. This allows one hand to hold and pump the gun while the other hand holds the applicator. I dis-assembled a needle adapter to discover the correct 1/8" NPT thread at the base of the tip. Screws right on the flex hose, eliminating one potential leak/flex/come apart point.

Filled with Aeroshell 33MS. A slight odor, but I like it.

img_4427.jpg  
Heidi - Golden Retriever/Jeep Dog
jeffjeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2010, 12:23 PM   #1397
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjeep1 View Post
My version has:
1. Pistol grip to allow grease pump with one hand while supporting gun
2. Attached needle point, since I have the flush grease fitting in the OPDA. This allows one hand to hold and pump the gun while the other hand holds the applicator. I dis-assembled a needle adapter to discover the correct 1/8" NPT thread at the base of the tip. Screws right on the flex hose, eliminating one potential leak/flex/come apart point.
Mine looks just like that. I need a longer and more flexible hose to get in there while it's installed.

You have to have a pistol grip for the flush mount style. The only thing I'm not sure about is generating enough pressure to squeeze the grease into the tiny gap between the bushing and the shaft.
Unread 12-26-2010, 01:41 PM   #1398
jeffjeep1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

My modded OPDA is installed now (as of 13:00 today). I did grease it on the bench, yesterday. Initially felt resistance, then grease flowed in as one expects. I think it is the small needle opening being sealed by the spring pressure of the ball. One the pressure exceeds the spring, it flows in.

Growing up, I used to have a fitting that threaded onto the grease tube/hose with a rounded ball end that fit into the "bowl" of the flush fittings. Unfortunately that piece is long gone. Thinking about it, the OD of the needle seals better into the fitting with less grease spreading around.
Heidi - Golden Retriever/Jeep Dog
jeffjeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2010, 02:08 PM   #1399
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I had to add an adapter to get the needle to fit into the engine bay to reach the fitting. I also had a spring hose support that I have to slide up. My stock grease gun hose was 12 inch and it just fits.

Unread 12-27-2010, 12:36 PM   #1400
mukluk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Well, y'all manged to get me all paranoid so I went and pulled the OPDA from my '05 with 36k and the distributor from my '00 with 133k for reference... I'm thinking I'll be swapping the gear on the '05 but can you tell which gear is which vehicle?
drivegear1.jpg   drivegear2.jpg  
Unread 12-27-2010, 03:21 PM   #1401
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

The upper is the 05...
Unread 12-27-2010, 03:49 PM   #1402
mukluk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
The upper is the 05...
You sir, are correct. Wonder why the newer part wore so unevenly... the area in the pic is the worst wear area, the rest of the gear wear pattern is half the size.
Unread 12-27-2010, 05:50 PM   #1403
OldenEagle
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Just thinking out loud....
Could it be possible to drill straight down the center of the shaft to the center of the upper bushing and drill a cross hole right at the center of the upper bushing? You could then tap the top for a small fitting and just pull the dust cover to grease it from time to time. I'm no machinist but I have seen this type of set up in other applications. I.E.- Possibly a 1/8" hole down the center and a 1/16" cross hole.
Unread 12-27-2010, 06:40 PM   #1404
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldenEagle View Post
Just thinking out loud....
Could it be possible to drill straight down the center of the shaft to the center of the upper bushing and drill a cross hole right at the center of the upper bushing? You could then tap the top for a small fitting and just pull the dust cover to grease it from time to time. I'm no machinist but I have seen this type of set up in other applications. I.E.- Possibly a 1/8" hole down the center and a 1/16" cross hole.
What would be the benefit of that compared to going through the bushing? It seems more difficult and could weaken the shaft. It's not too difficult to get to the zerk on the housing. The flush mount zerk is a little more difficult, but not enough to justify trying to drill through the shaft. You could drill through both sides of the bushing if you wanted more grease access.

If we are brainstorming, I was thinking of removing the upper bushing and seal. Cutting the upper bushing in half so that when reinstalled you add the bushing followed by the seal. You could make up the difference in the bushing length with a thicker plastic washer. That could duplicate the 2004 model OPDA and allow oil to contact both bushings.

I don't know how difficult it would be to remove the bushing and seal. FOG may have some suggestions on if it's feasible.
Unread 12-27-2010, 09:52 PM   #1405
OldenEagle
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You must know that cutting the upper bushing clear in two would not be productive?
Unread 12-28-2010, 08:07 AM   #1406
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldenEagle View Post
You must know that cutting the upper bushing clear in two would not be productive?
I'm no expert. I suppose the 2005-06 OPDA may need the extra support because of the target wheel. Otherwise why not make it exactly like the old style bushing from the factory? The factory bushing sticks up about 3/4 inch. That doesn't seem like much to me. The internal section of the bushing and seal is an inch or so (I'm going off memory).

Unread 12-28-2010, 12:12 PM   #1407
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

$29.99 a gallon for 5w40 m1, plus a wix filter. im gonna have about 50$ dollars in one oil change.
at this rate 2 oil changes wil pay for a new opdg. its getting changed right now with m1, but im looking for cheaper alternatives. at the very least i will go to 5k or 6k mile oil changes.

1) is valvoline vr1 any cheaper?

2) what dino oil has the best zddp level?

3) what do the zddp additives cost, and do they work?
glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2010, 01:02 PM   #1408
Bigbob

Okay, something I missed here. What is the object of using a flush fitting that needs a needle adapter? What is wrong with an ordinary grease zerk? I've done 2 of these now and the grease zerk seems to work just fine.

One observation on the '06 model I did a couple days ago. This Jeep has about the same mileage as mine, 20K plus or minus, and was built the same month, 8/05. Both are Rubicon LJ's, his has an auto, mine is a 6 speed. Mine had a noticeable less amount of wear on the gear. The shaft looked the same on both. I don't think his gear is shot and we re-used it, but mine had less wear. I use Mobil 1 High Mileage 10-30 and Donaldson 50299 filters for a 7 quart oil system. I change my oil once a year whether it needs it or not. He takes his to Jiffy Lube type places and has no idea what oil is used. Looking at the gear made him a convert.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2010, 02:25 PM   #1409
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob View Post
Okay, something I missed here. What is the object of using a flush fitting that needs a needle adapter? What is wrong with an ordinary grease zerk? I've done 2 of these now and the grease zerk seems to work just fine.

One observation on the '06 model I did a couple days ago. This Jeep has about the same mileage as mine, 20K plus or minus, and was built the same month, 8/05. Both are Rubicon LJ's, his has an auto, mine is a 6 speed. Mine had a noticeable less amount of wear on the gear. The shaft looked the same on both. I don't think his gear is shot and we re-used it, but mine had less wear. I use Mobil 1 High Mileage 10-30 and Donaldson 50299 filters for a 7 quart oil system. I change my oil once a year whether it needs it or not. He takes his to Jiffy Lube type places and has no idea what oil is used. Looking at the gear made him a convert.
There is no real difference in the zerk choice. When I did my first install I put the grease fitting hole a little high so there was some clearance issues fitting a traditional grease gun. I went to the flush style zerk because of that. There may be a fear that the aluminum is too weak and the long shank zerk may break off. I don't believe that and I've done two for others on the board and both were with long shank traditional zerks.
Unread 12-28-2010, 03:40 PM   #1410
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

good news! we just took my opdg out, and it looks like new! so it either it aint wearing, or it was just changed right before i bought it. the squeaking noise form the front end was el chepo brake pads.
it had new pads and rotors on when i got it, proabbly cheap stuff though.
glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.