Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 91 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Reply
Unread 12-22-2010, 07:37 AM   #1351
OldenEagle
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
Only go to the dealer if there will completely cover (no cost) the replacement OPDA, installation, and replacement of the camshaft. Otherwise you will spend $100 on the copay, not get the old OPDA back, and will still be left with the old camshaft. I assume you are the first owner and potentially are still under warranty.

dodge-wholesale.com has the part you need. Pages 60-current will have all the information regarding ZDDP, modification, installation, grease, pics, part numbers, tools, etc.

Welcome to the club. It's not as bad as you probably think, but get it fixed ASAP. Replacing the OPDA with a new one is something you can do yourself in 20-30 minutes.
Thanks for the info. I was on dodge wholesale and found the new OPDA using the part # off my original one for $50 less than dealer price + shipping. I did not find the info on the ZDDP, mods, install etc. I'll keep looking.
Any tips on checking the cam for possible damage from the worn pump drive gear before putting in the new pump drive? After I inspected my pump drive and reassembled it until I can get parts, I thought of holding my digital camera down there and trying to snap a shot of the cam thru the opening for the pump drive.

OldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 08:15 AM   #1352
JBWood05TJ
Cut to Fit-Paint to Match
 
JBWood05TJ's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldenEagle View Post
Thanks for the info. I was on dodge wholesale and found the new OPDA using the part # off my original one for $50 less than dealer price + shipping. I did not find the info on the ZDDP, mods, install etc. I'll keep looking.
Any tips on checking the cam for possible damage from the worn pump drive gear before putting in the new pump drive? After I inspected my pump drive and reassembled it until I can get parts, I thought of holding my digital camera down there and trying to snap a shot of the cam thru the opening for the pump drive.
Shine a light down the the hole that the OPDA mounts in, sort of angled down in the direction of the front of the vehicle and you will be able to see the gear on the cam. Some of the guys have been able to get good pics of it but I didn't even try, as I could see that it was in good shape.
JBWood05TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 09:11 AM   #1353
kgginslc
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: , UT
Posts: 177
So, I've got my new OPDA. I will do the mods described in this thread.

My question - you need to pull the shaft to do all the drilling (right?) - I believe this requires removing the gear.

When you put the gear back on, is there some particular method to install the new roll pin that secures the gear? Can I reuse the old pin?
kgginslc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 09:31 AM   #1354
OldenEagle
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWood05TJ View Post
Shine a light down the the hole that the OPDA mounts in, sort of angled down in the direction of the front of the vehicle and you will be able to see the gear on the cam. Some of the guys have been able to get good pics of it but I didn't even try, as I could see that it was in good shape.
I'm hopeful the cam is fine because the OPDA gear isn't pretty, but far from destroyed yet. I've got the new parts ordered and will give the cam a much closer look when I pull the old drive. A big THANKS to all the people sharing this info, most likely saved my 4.0 from self destructing.

Now while I'm waiting on those parts I'll get my 3.5" lift done and some tires on.

"Be sure to leave this world as you entered it, screaming your head off and covered in someone else's blood"
OldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 01:00 PM   #1355
willydigger
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,570
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...ilure-1144202/

I've started a new thread dedicated to consolidating all the information from this thread. It has a brazillion pics and posts reserved as we find new information. It is not meant to replace this thread, but act as a one stop thread to answer all the reoccurring questions generated. I hope to have all the pics up before the new year.
__________________
WHODEY
willydigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 04:04 PM   #1356
JBWood05TJ
Cut to Fit-Paint to Match
 
JBWood05TJ's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgginslc View Post
So, I've got my new OPDA. I will do the mods described in this thread.

My question - you need to pull the shaft to do all the drilling (right?) - I believe this requires removing the gear.

When you put the gear back on, is there some particular method to install the new roll pin that secures the gear? Can I reuse the old pin?
Use a roll pin punch to remove the pin and pull the gear. The roll pin can be reused.
JBWood05TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 04:55 PM   #1357
OldenEagle
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgginslc View Post
So, I've got my new OPDA. I will do the mods described in this thread.

My question - you need to pull the shaft to do all the drilling (right?) - I believe this requires removing the gear.

When you put the gear back on, is there some particular method to install the new roll pin that secures the gear? Can I reuse the old pin?
You need to be very careful if driving out the old roll pin, it is possible the shaft could be bent if not supported correctly. The most recommended way is to drill out the roll pin and replace it upon reassembly.
OldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 05:07 PM   #1358
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired
 
Knuckelhead's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldenEagle View Post
The most recommended way is to drill out the roll pin and replace it upon reassembly.
I've never heard of anyone recommending to drill out a roll pin?...
__________________
TSB Information: http://www.automd.com/tsb/jeep_m/wrangler_mm/2000_y/
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 05:56 PM   #1359
keithert
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 2,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...ilure-1144202/

I've started a new thread dedicated to consolidating all the information from this thread. It has a brazillion pics and posts reserved as we find new information. It is not meant to replace this thread, but act as a one stop thread to answer all the reoccurring questions generated. I hope to have all the pics up before the new year.
You have done a great job with the new thread. Very informative.
keithert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 06:25 PM   #1360
OldenEagle
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
I've never heard of anyone recommending to drill out a roll pin?...
This is the way the "E 05 oil pump drive gear replacement" instructs all service techs to perform the gear replacement. I spoke with a mechanic today who worked for a Jeep dealer for 7 years.
OldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 06:27 PM   #1361
TheFog
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Galveston, Texas
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldenEagle View Post
You need to be very careful if driving out the old roll pin, it is possible the shaft could be bent if not supported correctly. The most recommended way is to drill out the roll pin and replace it upon reassembly.
Drilling the roll pin out is asking for trouble. I don't care how careful you are your going to rock the drill bit side to side a bit and wallow out the hole.

Support the shaft and use a appropriate ized punch and you will have no problems knocking the pin out.


FOG
__________________
In memory of Samantha Sue 1998 to Dec-16-10 at 2:15PM. She may have had 4 legs and a tail but she was the best friend I ever had and helped me through some really tough times. I hope to see her again one day.
TheFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 06:36 PM   #1362
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired
 
Knuckelhead's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldenEagle View Post
This is the way the "E 05 oil pump drive gear replacement" instructs all service techs to perform the gear replacement. I spoke with a mechanic today who worked for a Jeep dealer for 7 years.
Post a DC document pertaining to this procedure. I'd really like to see this...
__________________
TSB Information: http://www.automd.com/tsb/jeep_m/wrangler_mm/2000_y/
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 06:39 PM   #1363
OldenEagle
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 33
I agree knocking out the roll pin with the right punch is the way to go, I was just sharing what the mechanic read to me right off the procedure's instructions used by dealership service depts. Truth be known, they probably drive em out to.
Anyone have the part # for the Eschlin gear from NAPA?
OldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 06:43 PM   #1364
TheFog
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Galveston, Texas
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldenEagle View Post
Anyone have the part # for the Eschlin gear from NAPA?
Napa is no longer making the gear. The one made by Crown is the only option.

FOG
__________________
In memory of Samantha Sue 1998 to Dec-16-10 at 2:15PM. She may have had 4 legs and a tail but she was the best friend I ever had and helped me through some really tough times. I hope to see her again one day.
TheFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 06:50 PM   #1365
OldenEagle
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFog View Post
Napa is no longer making the gear. The one made by Crown is the only option.

FOG
Just my luck...
Way back in the thread I saw it stated that some of the best performance was with this Napa gear.
What is the most recommended grease for the upper end when installing a zerk? I've seen many types tried but haven't caught where anyone has nailed it down.
OldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.